Bolton 5 - 1 Newcastle United - 20/11/10 - post match reaction from page 32

Dave

Guthrie is a good Championship CM. Which easily earns him a place on our bench.

Him and Shola were the only ones who created anything in the first half. Two occaisons in which he contributed to goalscoring opportunities. Yet it's completely overlooked by everyone.

Guest firetotheworks

It's nobody else's fault but Hughton's that he's picked Alan Smith again. It's as simple as that. There's no excuse for it, whatsoever.

If Barton was injured, on the bench or suspended for anything other than being a pleb, I'd agree. As he was a pleb, I don't and you're wrong. Both are to blame.

So, my point stands then.

What you're saying, is that if Barton was injured, Hughton would be moreso to blame for picking Smith? Daft.

Of course I would. :lol: Does it not compute to you that Smith/Guthrie/whoever else isn't as good as Barton wouldn't be picked if Barton hadn't been stupid and got suspended?

You're arguing that because Hughton shares the blame, his mistake is less pertinent.

There is no excuse for playing Alan Smith. Joey Barton and Tiote being suspended don't justify it.

I can tell you what I'm arguing myself cheers, and it's not that, nor am I justifying it. I'm saying that a portion of the blame lies with Joey Barton, and another portion with Chris Hughton. Tiote got suspended doing his job, Barton didn't. It's as simple as that.

I hope never to see Guthrie and Smith in a nufc shirt again.

The opinion of Guthrie on this forum is ridiculous. Especially with how Nolan and Smith played today.

Guthrie wasn't on the same level of shitness that Nolan and Smith showed today. Anybody with a brain can see he's not a wide player in a million years.

Technique wise he's a Premier League player, however like Ronaldo has said before his physical attributes just aren't up to scratch. Not fast or strong enough and his stamina is dreadful.

Guest neesy111

Guthrie can't tackle, breaks up play because he's so slow, and can't take a set-piece for his life.  Championship midfielder at best.  Has no place in the premiership.

Not saying we rely heavily on Tiote and Barton but fuck me we rely heavily on Tiote and Barton. I expected us to lose but that kind of defeat to a team that didn't have to play well takes me back 2 years. Our back up players are worryingly poor.

Guest bluegeordie

Blind Freddy can see that Barton has done great harm to our cause through his unnecessary suspension, but to use that to exonerate Hughton is ridiculous in my opinion. A manager earns his wages, and builds his reputation, by dealing with difficult situations, and today was a debacle.

Do we have abundant depth in all positions? Of course not, but going into today's match I feel that there were still options available to Hughton. Firstly, while I'm not the biggest fan of Routledge or Guthrie, start them in their natural positions - Routledge wide right, and Guthrie in centre mid. That gets rid of the need to field Smith. As for the other centre mid, personally given the options available today I'd go with the tea lady, but since the (poor) decision has already been made to appoint Nolan as captain, and he does have an undeniable eye for goal, then he gets the nod.

The other options that spring to mind concern the centre of defence. I recognise that stability is preferable there, and Colo and Williamson have put in some excellent performances this season, but you didn't need to be Nostradamus to predict that they would struggle with the Bolton set-up, and Davies in particular. Sooner or later, I think that Hughton needs to make the call that Colo, regardless of form, might not be the best choice for tall, physical forwards. I think that Sol would have been a wiser choice for the particular challenge that we were going to face today. In my view, the desire for stability needs to be balanced out with a "horses for courses" mentality, something which I'm not convinced Hughton displays in his managerial decisions.

Finally, while I agree that the midfield contributed to the defence's problems today, I don't feel they can take all the blame. Colo and Enrique arsed about needlessly in the lead-up to the Nolan handball; Colo and Simpson's schoolboy non-clearance for the second goal was also an error that rests with the defence; as does Colo's triple personal disaster with the irritating Swede (where he let a ball bounce that he shouldn't have, then got badly outmuscled, and then went on to throw an elbow in the worst South American tradition). So yes, the midfield were shite today, but so too were our defence. In fact, apart from our number 9, we were pretty much shite across the board.    

Guest neesy111

Guthrie knows better than anyone he's being misused out wide. Not his fault.

Still he should be sticking to his position of RM more than he does, did we actually create a good attack from our right-side in the 1st 50 mins ???

Also barton can play the position well and adapt to it, why can't guthrie?  Cos he's so limited as a footballer.

Guest firetotheworks

I only saw the first half, but for me the only player offering himself in an attacking sense in that midfield was Guthrie. He's not a right winger, and unfortunately for us it really shows.

Still he should be sticking to his position of RM more than he does, did we actually create a good attack from our right-side in the 1st 50 mins ???

Also barton can play the position well and adapt to it, why can't guthrie?  Cos he's so limited as a footballer.

What a crock of shit argument.

Guest firetotheworks

...because they're different people.

He's less of a natural athlete than Barton and less of a footballer. Doesn't justify the rubbish you've been coming out with as he's easily our 4th best in his natural position. We looked our absolute best last season when we were getting him on the ball as often as possible in CM.

Guest neesy111

What a crock of shit argument.

Stop defending shit footballers man.  Good footballers adapt to what they are told to do, Guthrie clearly can't adapt.

What a crock of s*** argument.

Stop defending s*** footballers man.  Good footballers adapt to what they are told to do, Guthrie clearly can't adapt.

:lol:

Guest neesy111

He's less of a natural athlete than Barton and less of a footballer. Doesn't justify the rubbish you've been coming out with as he's easily our 4th best in his natural position. We looked our absolute best last season when we were getting him on the ball as often as possible in CM.

Last season in the championship woopie fucking do.

Stop defending s*** footballers man.  Good footballers adapt to what they are told to do, Guthrie clearly can't adapt.

Again, absolute mental argument.

There are some fucking fantastic footballers that would struggle to play out of position.

Guest firetotheworks

Fucking hell, no offence like, but if you believe that then you clearly haven't got a clue how football works.