Bolton 5 - 1 Newcastle United - 20/11/10 - post match reaction from page 32

Dave

Guest neesy111

Guthrie knows better than anyone he's being misused out wide. Not his fault.

Still he should be sticking to his position of RM more than he does, did we actually create a good attack from our right-side in the 1st 50 mins ???

Also barton can play the position well and adapt to it, why can't guthrie?  Cos he's so limited as a footballer.

What a crock of s*** argument.

Stop defending s*** footballers man.  Good footballers adapt to what they are told to do, Guthrie clearly can't adapt.

Again, absolute mental argument.

There are some f***ing fantastic footballers that would struggle to play out of position.

Some will, but Guthrie has shown nothing for me in the 1 and 1/2 seasons he can't cut it out in the premiership.

How many of them was he playing on the fking wing though.

A few, but is he starting to learn how to play on the wing though ???  After being played out of position for a number of games, you start to change your game a little, i've seen nothing as him as a player he's learning to play in that position.

Does the changing of him in CM and us playing better relate to him playing in CM or us having a proper RM in routledge playing ???

Fucking hell. Again with judging him on his ability to play out of position.

You're mental.

Mental, your bloody blind to see what a fucking limited footballer he is in bloody general.  Out of position or not, players have attributes to which can be seen on a football pitch i.e. pace, crossing, eye for pass, tackling, marking.  Guthrie doesn't do well in all of them for me.

I'd wager Routledge's confidence will be well shot,and he'll be gone in January imo.

He's worth hanging onto, just in case we go down again.

"Here Wayne, you're going to be a key player for us you know - in our Championship season next year."

Hughton's persuasive skillz.

Guest firetotheworks

Neesy, how do you expect Guthrie to improve if the only plays every 3rd or 4th game, and out of position.

Training ???  Surely Hughton will be trying him out in RM in training in preparation for games.

You can't just convert players to positions they're unsuited to man. Effectively, he's only playing out there because of his crossing ability. Take that away from him and he's completely unsuited to playing out there.

Guest neesy111

Neesy, how do you expect Guthrie to improve if the only plays every 3rd or 4th game, and out of position.

Training ???  Surely Hughton will be trying him out in RM in training in preparation for games.

You can't just convert players to positions they're unsuited to man. Effectively, he's only playing out there because of his crossing ability. Take that away from him and he's completely unsuited to playing out there.

Then the bigger question is why our only RM/RW not even ahead of him then ???

Guest neesy111

Neesy's entirely driven by his bias, always has been. I look back and laugh at him blaming John Terry for the 0-0 with Algeria, says it all about him.

You think I'm bad, your in denial about your own failings and bias.

Guest firetotheworks

Well that is a bigger question, in that it's a fair question. Unanswerable really, but obviously Hughton doesn't rate Routledge at this level. I don't either, but just having him there gives us better balance and allows Jonas more space.

Guest Heneage

You do realise this isn't Football Manager. You can't shove any player into a position and train him to play it. He's played on the right because he puts in a good cross and can pass, he's essentially wasted there as he gets dragged into the middle too much. He only worked on the right last year, because it's the Championship and we had so much quality in the rest of the team that we could compensate for it.

I'm in no way casting any judgement on Guthrie as a player but you can't constantly berate him as poor and ignore the fact he's being played in a position that he's not suited to or even played before in his career.

If I'd been Hughton today I'd have put him in the middle dropped Shola and put Routledge out wide. We were never going to beat Bolton in the middle with quality but we could have tried to contain them with numbers. We could have then attempted to hit them on the counter using Routledge's pace.

Guest neesy111

You do realise this isn't Football Manager. You can't shove any player into a position and train him to play it. He's played on the right because he puts in a good cross and can pass, he's essentially wasted there as he gets dragged into the middle too much. He only worked on the right last year, because it's the Championship and we had so much quality in the rest of the team that we could compensate for it.

I'm in no way casting any judgement on Guthrie as a player but you can't constantly berate him as poor and ignore the fact he's being played in a position that he's not suited to or even played before in his career.

If I'd been Hughton today I'd have put him in the middle dropped Shola and put Routledge out wide. We were never going to beat Bolton in the middle with quality but we could have tried to contain them with numbers. We could have then attempted to hit them on the counter using Routledge's pace.

It isn't personal on Guthrie, but Guthrie doesn't seem to be learning from his mistakes of drifting inside too much which leaves our RB far too exposed.  While he is being played out of position, over a year of being played on the wing regularly he should at least be learning not to drift inside.

The penny drops

He was still the best midfielder on the park in the first half. But of course, he's shit and terrible and shouldn't be in the team. Let's just play Vuckic :rolleyes:

For the love of all that's good, please please please stop talking about Newcastle United.

its coach/manager job to tell you if you are too inside. everybody should know at this level what their job is..if there is players who ran around like headless chickens, then its all up to manager  :snod:

Far too many of our players today looked like Championship fodder. The likes of Guthrie and Smith are way out their depth amongst the big boys.

Guest neesy111

its coach/manager job to tell you if you are too inside. everybody should know at this level what their job is..if there is players who ran around like headless chickens, then its all up to manager  :snod:

That's true, but in the West Ham game in the 1st Half Barton was drifting inside too much and in the 2nd half he wasn't and it helped us to win the game.  So was that the manager saying that, or the player dictating that ???

Far too many of our players today looked like Championship fodder. The likes of Guthrie and Smith are way out their depth amongst the big boys.

We have a paper thin squad, it was always going to be an issue once the inevitable injuries/suspensions flowed.

He was still the best midfielder on the park in the first half. But of course, he's s*** and terrible and shouldn't be in the team. Let's just play Vuckic :rolleyes:

For the love of all that's good, please please please stop talking about Newcastle United.

Because you're opinion is so much greater? fuck off.

That's true, but in the West Ham game in the 1st Half Barton was drifting inside too much and in the 2nd half he wasn't and it helped us to win the game.  So was that the manager saying that, or the player dictating that ???

barton is CM, just like guthrie is. we cant expect anything else from them,  than getting inside to get more ball. that is  what they do...winger and CM is totally different places to play. you cant become good winger overnight and you cant become good CM overnight, that`s simple as  that. most CM`s dont have it it what it takes to play out wide, they just do whatever they can to help team if manager tells them to be winger