SAYLOR OR SOL? (PERHAPS BOTH...)

buzza

Who would you prefer to come in against Chelsea?

I personally would like to see Sol partnering Taylor for the game against chelsea, I know you are all thinking "too much", but I reckon against Drogba, malouda and company we need some pace and muscle, both of which williamson lacks.

Might be too much to bring in two ring rusty defenders but something needs to be done, we are shipping goals at the moment (a lot of it due to barton tiote absence) so a rash decision needed or just slip one of em' in???? :doh:

Taylor for me, without a doubt, mainly because he's still 24 and got time to improve while Sol is probably in his last season.

And what that has to do with who comes in against Chelsea, who knows?

I'd play both, as I said.

Williamson isn't of Premiership standard, Taylor and Campbell are.

No brainer.

Bollocks.

This, Taylor's shite and makes way too many mistakes,  Campbell is decent enough but Colo and Mike have been decent this season, theyve had a few bad games but when the protection from the midfield has been none existent s they have 3 times the amunt of work to do.

Williamson has proved himself to be of Premiership standard easily, there are very many worse defenders in the league.

His mistakes outweigh his few good performances.

Ridiculous. Have you even seen any games this season?

All but two.

Mike Williamson, 14 Premiership appearances.

Steven Taylor, 100+ Premiership appearances.

Sol Campbell, 400+ Premiership appearances.

We desperately need experience in our side right now.

Might as keep smith in the side and Tiote on the bench by that reckoning.

Bit different. Mike Williamson has been in English football for the last 10 years. It's just the majority of his career has been in League Two.

All but two.

Well then you'd know he has been quite solid for us this season. It seems to me that you think making a few mistakes is just not good enough and warrants being dropped to the bench. Show me a CB in the premier league this season that hasnt made a single costly mistake. Sure he has cost us a goal or 2 throughout the season, but for the most part he has been great in his partnership with Colo. Playing Taylor ahead of him just because he is an 'experienced premier league player' isnt really a good enough reason to make the swap. Im not saying he has been perfect but to jump on him after a few below par games is unfair.

I've been impressed with Williamson at times this season and I think it's far too early to write him off.

His recent performances have been a bit dodgy though which could be due to fatigue, poor confidence or just off days. Regardless, I think it's time to promote Sol to the starting lineup. His experience, composure and physical presence could be a massive boost to us right now.

I think Hughton has been spot on in not wanting to drop players for no reason, but he now has legitimate cause to rest Williamson for a while and utilise the strength in depth we have at CB.

Of course, I realise that in games like the Villa, West Ham and Arsenal matches he has been good for us, but it just seems to me that in the games we have underperformed he has been woeful.

The question is, when has he really stood out with an exceptional performance for us?

Compared to: The Bolton match (I only saw the second half) where he simply looked lost and now faces a ban. The Blackburn match where he was bullied on various occasions (the most obvious being the Roberts goal). The Wigan match where he was beaten in the air by a man a good six inches shorter than him. The Man City match where he gave away a penalty. The Stoke match where imo, by not stepping up, he had a part to play in both goals. Finally, the Blackpool match (which I had the pleasure of going to) where I lost count of the amount of times he was out of position and caught in possession.

With the exception of Perch, I believe he has been our weakest defender this season, and on that basis I think it would be insanity to not give Sol Campbell or Taylor a chance in the team.

Well i cant really argue that he hasnt been our weakest defender, with Colo and Jose having fantastic seasons, and Simpson having been very impressive on his return. Maybe he should be dropped to give one of the other two a crack at it, but to suggest Williamson isnt of Premiership standard is quite harsh and untrue.

Both. Why not? We're shipping too many soft goals, and have two experienced Premier League defenders sat on the bench. The defence has had some good performances thrown in there but too many cheap goals have cost us in games where we deserved to win on the balance of play and chances. The defending has let us down on plenty of occasions this season and this has been up til now masked by a few good performances. They've been a mixed bag but a Bolton scoreline was coming sooner or later. Most teams in this division have a powerful forward and if you're fielding Williamson and Coloccini every week, anybody is going to fancy their chances of winning aeriel balls and therefore coming to St James and causing us problems.

We can't be going into games every week needing 2 or 3 goals to win. We shipped two at home to Blackpool, Stoke, Wigan and Blackburn, all games we could and perhaps should have got something from. We've just shipped 5 away to Bolton and 3 of them were gifts. Coloccini and Williamson are not bad defenders but their form has definitely dipped, both look low on confidence. That's the last thing we need. We are fortunate to have competition in that area - use it.

Question marks remain over whether Campbell will still have the legs and the desire for the challenge, but we'll only find out by giving him a chance. I think he and Taylor could have the makings of a decent pairing, they will certainly bring different qualities and a more no-nonsense style.

Of course, I realise that in games like the Villa, West Ham and Arsenal matches he has been good for us, but it just seems to me that in the games we have underperformed he has been woeful.

The question is, when has he really stood out with an exceptional performance for us?

Compared to: The Bolton match (I only saw the second half) where he simply looked lost and now faces a ban. The Blackburn match where he was bullied on various occasions (the most obvious being the Roberts goal). The Wigan match where he was beaten in the air by a man a good six inches shorter than him. The Man City match where he gave away a penalty. The Stoke match where imo, by not stepping up, he had a part to play in both goals. Finally, the Blackpool match (which I had the pleasure of going to) where I lost count of the amount of times he was out of position and caught in possession.

With the exception of Perch, I believe he has been our weakest defender this season, and on that basis I think it would be insanity to not give Sol Campbell or Taylor a chance in the team.

That sentence could easily be about Coloccini as well.  Both CBs have been good on the whole the season and BOTH have made mistakes.  Coloccini has been the better of the two but that's no reason to slag off Williamson.

Williamson is a Premier League defender in my eyes as he doesn't look out of place most of the time, contrast that with someone like Smith who never plays well regardless of his teammates.