Alan Pardew

JH

Fine. Continue to beat up the monkey whilst the organ grinder stands there smugly watching.

But you don't approve of beating up the organ grinder either, you say it's a waste of effort and won't make any difference :lol: Dave, hit the off button, this place is finished :lol:

Fine. Continue to beat up the monkey whilst the organ grinder stands there smugly watching.

But you don't approve of beating up the organ grinder either, you say it's a waste of effort and won't make any difference :lol: Dave, hit the off button, this place is finished :lol:

I never said I didn't approve of going after Ashley. My concern is everything that's been proposed will be like giving him a dead leg as opposed to 'beating him up'.

If we fail to pick up a point against Birmingham we'll be exactly where we were in the league when Pardew came in, at best.  Except, we'll not have our best forward and we'll be just as close to relegation and further away from Europe than we were when he arrived.

Guest TrueToon

If we fail to pick up a point against Birmingham we'll be exactly where we were in the league when Pardew came in, at best.  Except, we'll not have our best forward and we'll be just as close to relegation and further away from Europe than we were when he arrived.

But do you think Carroll would be here if Hughton was still manager?  :nope:

There are meant to be positives though, not simply no negatives. Or else there was no point.

I think Pardew is doing well, but to me to justify the change he needs to be doing significantly better than I believe Hughton would have done. I'm not sure I do, so far.

But do you think Carroll would be here if Hughton was still manager?  :nope:

When Carroll was asking for more money Pardew told him to put it in writing, I think Hughton will have taken a different approach so who knows.

Don't see anything negative about Pardew's reign so far, except he's not Chris Hughton.

The only really bad thing that's happened is selling Carroll, and everyone must know that that's nothing to do with him.

Where's the improvement?  Being the same is not good enough after our upgrade to a more experienced manager.

There are meant to be positives though, or else there was no point. Not simply no negatives.

Well give the man a chance, he's kept the squad together and we've turned in some good performances. We could have easily won against Sunderland, Tottenham and today.

We didn't, aye, but that's football for you.

There are meant to be positives though, or else there was no point. Not simply no negatives.

We generally look more organised and are playing it through the midfield better. He's doing OK with the resources he has - if Hughton had the same strike force at his disposal I think the results would have been worse than under Pardew.

we appear to be more consistent,strong and organised.

Yet we appear to be one place higher in the league going into an away game which a defeat will see us at best where we were when he came in, at worst lower depending on other results.

Yet we appear to be one place higher in the league going into an away game which a defeat will see us at best where we were when he came in, at worst lower depending on other results.

Been without Carroll for a while as well, dont forget that mate.

Nobody's trying to argue with the table. It speaks for itself, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

We generally look more organised and are playing it through the midfield better. He's doing OK with the resources he has - if Hughton had the same strike force at his disposal I think the results would have been worse than under Pardew.

We've only started playing through the middle since Shola was injured, we don't know what will happen when he comes back and we have the option of just hoofing it again.

Nobody's trying to argue with the table. It speaks for itself, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

I agree with that but we have to measure performance and doing so in any other way is subjective.

I agree with that but we have to measure performance and doing so in any other way is subjective.

I agree, but football is a subjective game, especially on discussion forums!

Measuring Pardew just by the progress up or down the table in the tiny amount of time he's been here is mental IMO.

Measuring Pardew just by the progress up or down the table in the tiny amount of time he's been here is mental IMO.

Football is subjective, results aren't.  When can we start to measure progress by using the league table?

Football is subjective, results aren't.  When can we start to measure progress by using the league table?

The results are against different standards of opposition, with selection issues and various other problems that are not down to the manager himself, so the only reasonable answer to your question is that the progress under Pardew can be judged after a full season.

The results are against different standards of opposition, with selection issues and various other problems that are not down to the manager himself, so the only reasonable answer to your question is that the progress under Pardew can be judged after a full season.

Hughton was judged after 16 league games.

Hughton was judged after 16 league games.

That's making a questionable assumption that he was sacked based entirely on results...