Alan Pardew

JH

I think it's fair to say that both Hughton and Pardew are desperately flawed as managers.

"Desperately flawed" is ridiculously harsh on Hughton like. What has he done to deserve that tag? Which Premier League managers aren't that given the state of the league table?

Why was Enrique given the go ahead to start this match only to limp out early on? If he isn't fit, why the f*** risk him?

maybe after asking him and examining him they thought he was fit enough ?

Well they were proved spectacularly wrong. Again.

Why was Enrique given the go ahead to start this match only to limp out early on? If he isn't fit, why the f*** risk him?

many players carry knocks and niggles into games......should we only play those 100% fit ? we'd need a squad of more than the regulation 25. i don't know what his injury was like going into today (well yesterday) do you ?

many players carry knocks and niggles into games......should we only play those 100% fit ? we'd need a squad of more than the regulation 25. i don't know what his injury was like going into today (well yesterday) do you ?

I know Graeme Souness used to rush players back before they were fully fit to save his own hide. Steve Taylor is  one who comes to mind when he was coming back from a dislocated shoulder. Shola playing in a mask is another if we come back to current times.

I said this in the Ben Arfa thread earlier this week that I am glad he is in France otherwise he would probably have been out there today alongside Ireland and Gosling. All crocked to the max as things stand today.

Shola did the mask because he wanted to play. Nowt to do with the manager 'rushing him back'.

Didn't see Shola going up for many headers in his mask. Understandable really.

Shola did the mask because he wanted to play. Nowt to do with the manager 'rushing him back'.

And?

And?

why do you need an "and" to that statement?

And?

why do you need an "and" to that statement?

I made a comment about why he played, and you made a completely different statement about him not jumping for headers - I'm just wondering what the conversation link is :lol:

I know Graeme Souness used to rush players back before they were fully fit to save his own hide. Steve Taylor is  one who comes to mind when he was coming back from a dislocated shoulder. Shola playing in a mask is another if we come back to current times.

I said this in the Ben Arfa thread earlier this week that I am glad he is in France otherwise he would probably have been out there today alongside Ireland and Gosling. All crocked to the max as things stand today.

is there a difference between taylor coming back from a dislocated shoulder and doing it again and vianas doing it under SBR ?

Guest VegasToon

I wish I felt differently, but the sale of Carroll really has changed the team.  No one player is bigger than Newcastle, but at the time that felt like a crushing blow and I don't think we have recovered from it.

I know Graeme Souness used to rush players back before they were fully fit to save his own hide. Steve Taylor is  one who comes to mind when he was coming back from a dislocated shoulder. Shola playing in a mask is another if we come back to current times.

is there a difference between taylor coming back from a dislocated shoulder and doing it again and vianas doing it under SBR ?

other than the lightning quick, fast passing athleticism and end product which led to Champions league football, no.

I wish I felt differently, but the sale of Carroll really has changed the team.  No one player is bigger than Newcastle, but at the time that felt like a crushing blow and I don't think we have recovered from it.

if the players feel that way they are weaker  (or a bigger bunch of spoiled tossers) than we thought. fight till the end of the season, if nothing improves then, then bail out legitimatly with heads held high. giving in now is nothing more than spolied kids not getting their own way.

other than the lightning quick, fast passing athleticism and end product which led to Champions league football, no.

well i was contrasting similar things happening in SBR's tenure to souness's but if you want to abstract it thats up to you.

I think it's fair to say that both Hughton and Pardew are desperately flawed as managers.

"Desperately flawed" is ridiculously harsh on Hughton like. What has he done to deserve that tag? Which Premier League managers aren't that given the state of the league table?

Desperately flawed is a completely ridiculous thing to label Hughton after what he achieved. Honestly don't know how people can come up with such bullshit.

Guest BooBoo

To be fair, the word "desperate" was unrequired.

Hughton built his side on a great spirit though. There was little tactical genius at work. If we found that we couldn't huff and puff a team over, there was rarely a reshuffle or plan b that seemed affective. The only time I can really recall Hughton switching things to any positive affect was at home to Wigan when he chucked Shola on and helped rescue us a point. I still think Hughton made errors at the start of the season by being much too timid. Why considering only months before when we'd blitzed Blackpool, was he seemingly so frightened of them in the game in September?

Hughton is a damn good man who did a good job. However lets not pretend he was any master tactician because he wasn't.

Pardew's mistakes have been more wide ranging and if anything he's at the other end of the spectrum- making far too many reshuffles which leaves the side looking lop sided or just plain confused.

As I say, both flawed as managers.

Hughton built his side on a great spirit though. There was little tactical genius at work. If we found that we couldn't huff and puff a team over, there was rarely a reshuffle or plan b that seemed affective. The only time I can really recall Hughton switching things to any positive affect was at home to Wigan when he chucked Shola on and helped rescue us a point. I still think Hughton made errors at the start of the season by being much too timid. Why considering only months before when we'd blitzed Blackpool, was he seemingly so frightened of them in the game in September?

Hughton is a damn good man who did a good job. However lets not pretend he was any master tactician because he wasn't.

Pardew's mistakes have been more wide ranging and if anything he's at the other end of the spectrum- making far too many reshuffles which leaves the side looking lop sided or just plain confused.

:thup:

It was always onwards and upwards with Hughton. Don't see that with this guy who was apparently brought in to improve us.

Guest BooBoo

It wasn't always onwards and upwards though. Prior to his sacking, we were racking up a series of worrying results.

I didn't want him to be sacked but I was becoming very concerned, especially after the limp display at the Hawthorns. Pardew hasn't improved us but let's not reinvent history to say that Hughton would have taken us on any better. The signs were that we would have just been as inconsistent.

I agree with all of that.  My problem though is that Hughton had deserved this season as long as we were safe, he wasn't given that.  Pardew on the other hand is an opportunist who is probably here because of a friendship and not on merit.  Even when we sacked Hughton I would have been happier if we’d brought in somebody like Jol who has a better track record than Pardew who is a poor manager in my opinion.

I think to have taken us from our lowest ebb for years into a comfortable mid-table position in just over a year and getting results like Villa, Arsenal, Everton and sunderland, Hughton was entitled to a bigger grace period than three or four poor results. You don't consistently get results like that if you've not got something about you btw, those results are a thing of the past now under this charlatan.

He can only beat poor sides - but that is what most of you wanted, because points against good sides are worth less... or something.

I don't buy into Hughton being sacked over results anyway, the snake already had his contract prepared before the derby, but what has football come to when we're saying it's ok for a manager to be sacked off so few results? Bet if I could be bothered to look at SBR's history with us, his worst run of form would be worse than Hughton's was, and he never took over a second division team.

Every manager in the country barring one or two would have been sacked if we're working off these new rules.