Alan Pardew

JH

"I don't think we'll be bringing in a striker in this window after the collapse of (Modibo) Maiga which we put a lot of work into, so I think as far as we're concerned, we'll go with what we've got.

Asked if there was any chance of resurrecting any form of deal for the Sochaux forward:

"No, that wasn't a strategy to do that, it was just unfortunate. These things happen and we'll have to do a lot of work between now and the summer to locate another striker.

"You have to pay over the odds if you want to invest in this window but we won't be in for a striker.

"We need to bring in a defender."

Great  :buck2:

Goes without saying, obviously, but that's pretty f***ing abysmal. They'll have had a year and a half to replace Carroll by the time next summer comes around.

Inexcusable really.

Am I missing something here or does Ba not count just because there was no fee involved?

OK OK, you know what I meant; why pose that (seemingly) odd question?

I would have agreed with you before it became known that we no longer want a forward and have now switched our attentions to a defender.

Oh, silly me.  Erm, that's one for the conspiracy theorists then.

In that case we've not signed the partner not Carroll's replacement.

The partner is still a forward and we've still been looking for that player for over a year.  Does it make any difference if it's a replacement or partner?

That depends on if we're going to persist with Best/Ameobi alongside Ba, or if we play Ben Arfa behind him.

Why would that have changed since our last target failed a medical?

Because if we'd signed Maiga, chances are we'd have played Ba-Maiga up front, now we haven't, it's down to Ba-Best/Shola or a change of system to Ba-HBA.

What room does do we have for another top striker? He doesnt want Ben Arfa on the wing & Ba is playing quality. Theyve simply changed their minds over needing one. Ba's form is whats done it.

If we sign a striker, itll be someone whos willing to sit on the bench.

Because if we'd signed Maiga, chances are we'd have played Ba-Maiga up front, now we haven't, it's down to Ba-Best/Shola or a change of system to Ba-HBA.

So you think 1 player failing a medical has totally changed the way that we are now planning to play.  We either needed a new forward or we didn't and the form of the players already at the club couldn't have made us feel any more comfortable with what we already have, could it?

What room does do we have for another top striker? He doesnt want Ben Arfa on the wing & Ba is playing quality. Theyve simply changed their minds over needing one. Ba's form is whats done it.

If we sign a striker, itll be someone whos willing to sit on the bench.

What has Ba done since 16th December that is different to what he did before then that has caused a change of mind?  If anything, he has carried on scoring and we're still as reliant on one player getting us goals.  If anything, he’s just proven that we might struggle without him and we are going to be without him, even if he avoids injuries.

Hes proven himself further in the prem, in a seperate team, shown his knees not been an issue & that hes a consistant top striker. We're never going to sign another striker on the basis that Ba's gone for a few weeks.

They wont see any point in spending lots of money on a new striker that will just fight Ben Arfa for the bench.

Hes proven himself further in the prem, in a seperate team, shown his knees not been an issue & that hes a consistant top striker. We're never going to sign another striker on the basis that Ba's gone for a few weeks.

They wont see any point in spending lots of money on a new striker that will just fight Ben Arfa for the bench.

Excellent, our transfer policy is decided on knee-jerk reactions, I feel so much better knowing that.

Excellent, our transfer policy is decided on knee-jerk reactions, I feel so much better knowing that.

Whats the knee jerk reaction ?

The one that has gone from us wanting a forward 12 days ago to not wanting one now because Ba is now proven in the league and we don't want to waste money on a player who will fight Ben Arfa for a place on the bench.

The one that has gone from us wanting a forward 12 days ago to not wanting one now because Ba is now proven in the league and we don't want to waste money on a player who will fight Ben Arfa for a place on the bench.

Is that why?

Or  a Manager who had a Striker in place at a decent price whom failed a medical, whom made enquries on other strikers only to be quoted ridiculous prices as its January.

should have kept his gob shut if we aren't looking for a forward* as now everyone knowsd we are concentrating on defenders and prices will reflect that fact.

* still don't think the ultimate plan is to play two strikers, maiga would have been, imo, cover for ba eventually and allowing best or shola to move on.