Alan Pardew

JH

Taken this from .com. Interesting what Pardew has had to say here once again. Could be the case that it already had been posted....

Interviewed by journalist Mihir Bose for the London Evening Standard, Newcastle manager Alan Pardew commented on various football-related issues. Here's a selection of the most pertinent responses: 

The 2012/13 season:

"I’m hoping that I will educate our fans for next season.

"If they think we can finish fifth with a European campaign and the finances we’ve got, it’s impossible. I honestly believe that you need to be a bit more open with the fans. The problem some managers have is they’re not open enough.

"This year, I’m sure we’ll say something like, ‘We’re looking for a top-eight finish, hopefully attack one of the cups and have a great run in Europe. I wouldn’t say we couldn’t challenge for the top six if we got knocked out of Europe. Then we wouldn’t have those extra 13 games."

Getting the job:

"I knew that the first few months were going to be difficult but, if you’re going to walk into a manager’s job, you’ve got to take away the fan element of it. You have to say, ‘Are you going to be able to win the dressing room?’

His predecessor:

Chris (Hughton) is a great guy, he had coached me (at Tottenham) but is different to me. I’m probably more aggressive than Chris and I had the confidence that I could get the dressing room. And if you get the players on side, then you’ve got a chance of getting the fans because ultimately one leads to the other.

His former Captain:

"Kevin Nolan was a powerful captain and I made sure of his loyalty. Before I even met him at training, I went to his house and said, ‘Look, I know there’s probably a lot of disappointment that I’m the manager but I am. I want to work with you and I need your help.’ Being the great guy that he is, he offered me that.

His current Captain:

"He (Coloccini) is our most influential player. A classy footballer, he brings calmness, a winning mentality and a sense of order to all proceedings. He reads the game well.

"You can’t coach it. He might see that my left-back is in big trouble with a wide player and he’ll move closer to that area. He’ll look to read situations before they evolve.

"Bobby Moore was probably the greatest at it but Coloccini does that for us brilliantly. Before it happens he’s extinguished it."

Papiss Demba Cisse:

“Mike (Ashley) had some initial worries: were we getting value? He’d had two years in a poor Freiburg team, scoring loads of goals.

Cisse's second goal at Chelsea:

"It came out to him and he hit it on the side of his foot. For him to even attempt it was just audacious. We were winning 1-0. As the ball came out to him, I thought, ‘Take it to the corner.’ But, because of the way he did it, I turned to Didier Drogba on the pitch and said, ‘You’ve got to take your hat off to that!’ and he just laughed.

"If Cisse had played one game and got injured like Dean Ashton, I could have been out of a job."

Joey Barton:

“I offered Joey two contracts, one of which he agreed to, initially, so he was very close to staying at the back end of last year. But, when we sold Andy Carroll, he thought we were lacking ambition. You can’t assume anything in football.

“I’m not defending his actions at Manchester City (on the last day of the season) but he is a target for a lot of abuse. The trouble with Joey is that he gets upset about anything. Someone not clearing up the dog poo eats into Joey.

“His behaviour with me was impeccable, with one exception. When we played Leeds in a pre-season friendly and I didn’t make him captain he got angry and didn’t want to play. If he thinks he’s got justice then he’ll give you justice, though he has a warped sense of justice sometimes.

“Joey should serve his time and carry on playing for QPR. It won’t be the end of his career. He’ll fight to the bitter end because he truly loves football. He’s a great student of the game and he’s delved into its psychology.”

The owner:

"The fans have understood that Mike’s actions are for the club’s benefit. He’s put in the best part of £200m and there’s no return on that as yet. The berating of him in the stands has stopped. That’s been a massive battle in itself.”

The England job:

“I will not have proven myself good enough until I’ve been in the Premier League for four or five years, won a trophy and competed in Europe.

"Do I think Harry (Redknapp) should have got the job? I thought at the time if the media hadn’t played it so strongly maybe he’d have got it.

“Because there was such a big push for him, maybe the FA thought they’d do something else. I’ve got no problem with Roy. He deserved it, he had all the right credentials. I’m just glad it’s an Englishman.

"Maybe the initial move for Sven-Goran Eriksson was because they thought another English manager was going to get pilloried by the press. It just got all out of hand. Foreign managers have changed nothing.

"The England team has not improved and these foreign managers have done actually no better than the English managers who went before.

"Club football is different. In the Premier League they can change the culture of a football club, like Arsene Wenger’s done. You can’t do that with England! You’ve got a group of players who are coming in for two days’ recovery and one day’s training.

"The only thing you’re going to be able to do is bring it together, tactically be very, very sharp and make sure your substitutions work. Otherwise you’re in trouble.”

I can imagine many fans demanding a Champions League place challenge next season so I can understand Pardew playing things down, right up to the end this season the whole squad played things down as well. This season I personally would have been happy with top 8 finish and then for the upcoming season a push for top 6, we are maybe a year ahead of schedule, but still I'll be over the moon if we finish 6th next season. Especially if we add some decent cup runs with it.

I would think Pardew is trying to manage fans expectations in public whilst telling the players come on lets push on and aim as high as possible, at least that's what I hope he's doing.

Agree with whoever said it was a message to the board more than owt else, i.e. if you want us to do well on a number of fronts then you'll have to add to the squad accordingly.  Of course it's a message to the fans too, but mainly if the board don't heed the warning.

Taken this from .com. Interesting what Pardew has had to say here once again. Could be the case that it already had been posted....

Interviewed by journalist Mihir Bose for the London Evening Standard, Newcastle manager Alan Pardew commented on various football-related issues. Here's a selection of the most pertinent responses: 

The 2012/13 season:

"I’m hoping that I will educate our fans for next season.

"If they think we can finish fifth with a European campaign and the finances we’ve got, it’s impossible. I honestly believe that you need to be a bit more open with the fans. The problem some managers have is they’re not open enough.

"This year, I’m sure we’ll say something like, ‘We’re looking for a top-eight finish, hopefully attack one of the cups and have a great run in Europe. I wouldn’t say we couldn’t challenge for the top six if we got knocked out of Europe. Then we wouldn’t have those extra 13 games."

Getting the job:

"I knew that the first few months were going to be difficult but, if you’re going to walk into a manager’s job, you’ve got to take away the fan element of it. You have to say, ‘Are you going to be able to win the dressing room?’

His predecessor:

Chris (Hughton) is a great guy, he had coached me (at Tottenham) but is different to me. I’m probably more aggressive than Chris and I had the confidence that I could get the dressing room. And if you get the players on side, then you’ve got a chance of getting the fans because ultimately one leads to the other.

His former Captain:

"Kevin Nolan was a powerful captain and I made sure of his loyalty. Before I even met him at training, I went to his house and said, ‘Look, I know there’s probably a lot of disappointment that I’m the manager but I am. I want to work with you and I need your help.’ Being the great guy that he is, he offered me that.

His current Captain:

"He (Coloccini) is our most influential player. A classy footballer, he brings calmness, a winning mentality and a sense of order to all proceedings. He reads the game well.

"You can’t coach it. He might see that my left-back is in big trouble with a wide player and he’ll move closer to that area. He’ll look to read situations before they evolve.

"Bobby Moore was probably the greatest at it but Coloccini does that for us brilliantly. Before it happens he’s extinguished it."

Papiss Demba Cisse:

“Mike (Ashley) had some initial worries: were we getting value? He’d had two years in a poor Freiburg team, scoring loads of goals.

Cisse's second goal at Chelsea:

"It came out to him and he hit it on the side of his foot. For him to even attempt it was just audacious. We were winning 1-0. As the ball came out to him, I thought, ‘Take it to the corner.’ But, because of the way he did it, I turned to Didier Drogba on the pitch and said, ‘You’ve got to take your hat off to that!’ and he just laughed.

"If Cisse had played one game and got injured like Dean Ashton, I could have been out of a job."

Joey Barton:

“I offered Joey two contracts, one of which he agreed to, initially, so he was very close to staying at the back end of last year. But, when we sold Andy Carroll, he thought we were lacking ambition. You can’t assume anything in football.

“I’m not defending his actions at Manchester City (on the last day of the season) but he is a target for a lot of abuse. The trouble with Joey is that he gets upset about anything. Someone not clearing up the dog poo eats into Joey.

“His behaviour with me was impeccable, with one exception. When we played Leeds in a pre-season friendly and I didn’t make him captain he got angry and didn’t want to play. If he thinks he’s got justice then he’ll give you justice, though he has a warped sense of justice sometimes.

“Joey should serve his time and carry on playing for QPR. It won’t be the end of his career. He’ll fight to the bitter end because he truly loves football. He’s a great student of the game and he’s delved into its psychology.”

The owner:

"The fans have understood that Mike’s actions are for the club’s benefit. He’s put in the best part of £200m and there’s no return on that as yet. The berating of him in the stands has stopped. That’s been a massive battle in itself.”

The England job:

“I will not have proven myself good enough until I’ve been in the Premier League for four or five years, won a trophy and competed in Europe.

"Do I think Harry (Redknapp) should have got the job? I thought at the time if the media hadn’t played it so strongly maybe he’d have got it.

“Because there was such a big push for him, maybe the FA thought they’d do something else. I’ve got no problem with Roy. He deserved it, he had all the right credentials. I’m just glad it’s an Englishman.

"Maybe the initial move for Sven-Goran Eriksson was because they thought another English manager was going to get pilloried by the press. It just got all out of hand. Foreign managers have changed nothing.

"The England team has not improved and these foreign managers have done actually no better than the English managers who went before.

"Club football is different. In the Premier League they can change the culture of a football club, like Arsene Wenger’s done. You can’t do that with England! You’ve got a group of players who are coming in for two days’ recovery and one day’s training.

"The only thing you’re going to be able to do is bring it together, tactically be very, very sharp and make sure your substitutions work. Otherwise you’re in trouble.”

Very interesting piece and he's talking a low of sense there, especially about the England job.

Edit - Also very interesting comments on Ashley's view of the Cisse signing. He's obviously very very close to the day to day management of the club. You've got to assume Ashley is a fan of Pardew given the performance this season, the general turn in atmosphere, good handling of the press and the fact that he's trusted him, Carr etc in the Cisse signing. He's basically going to make a profit on Cisse whenever we do sell him, which will please him no end.

Guest sicko2ndbest

One has to wonder if the real reason we didn't get Cisse last summer was Ashley didn't trust pards with big singings yet. Cabaye and Ba probably convinced him lol.

MA could see it as a speculate to accumulate. Ie why buy a £4m player and sell for 12, when you can buy a £10m player and sell for £35m.

One has to wonder if the real reason we didn't get Cisse last summer was Ashley didn't trust pards with big singings yet. Cabaye and Ba probably convinced him lol.

MA could see it as a speculate to accumulate. Ie why buy a £4m player and sell for 12, when you can buy a £10m player and sell for £35m.

What?

Fuck off man. :lol:

What you said had very little to do with the original point and you didn't explain it properly, for example what does the £4m player have to do with anything?  Who is that player?  Why are both players getting sold for 3 times the price they were signed when there's no precedent for that being a norm whatsoever?  Last but not least, what the hell are you even on about and will you please put some effort into your spelling, grammar and general presentation.  Must do better.  Please.

It's a standard post of yours, you're absolutely rubbish.

Guest sicko2ndbest

f*** off man. :lol:

What you said had very little to do with the original point and you didn't explain it properly, for example what does the £4m player have to do with anything?  Who is that player?  Why are both players getting sold for 3 times the price they were signed when there's no precedent for that being a norm whatsoever?  Last but not least, what the hell are you even on about and will you please put some effort into your spelling, grammar and general presentation.  Must do better.  Please.

It's a standard post of yours, you're absolutely rubbish.

That's a hell of a chomp. Issues....

I think posters with IQs within a normal range will be ok with it!

:lol: I think posters with "IQs within a normal range" must have given up reading your posts a good while ago, seems I'm a bit late on that boat, which I'll just have to hold my hands up and admit.  I'll give up asking you to stop making posts that make my eyes bleed and take that route, cheers.

Guest sicko2ndbest

:lol: I think posters with "IQs within a normal range" must have given up reading your posts a good while ago, seems I'm a bit late on that boat, which I'll just have to hold my hands up and admit.  I'll give up asking you to stop making posts that make my eyes bleed and take that route, cheers.

No problem. Your viewing/ comments will be sorely missed....

BTW, dosnt your signature suggest you are actually thick? Semblance is the outward appearance of something when in reality it's the opposite??

Guest sicko2ndbest

Nobody has won, we've all lost.

Don't know your tennis do you pal! He never said you'd won!! You need another point when on advantage to 'win' ;)

Nobody has won, we've all lost.

Don't know your tennis do you pal! He never said you'd won!! You need another point when on advantage to 'win' ;)

http://th788.photobucket.com/albums/yy167/mythirdhouse/th_25yybs2.gif

No problem. Your viewing/ comments will be sorely missed....

BTW, dosnt your signature suggest you are actually thick? Semblance is the outward appearance of something when in reality it's the opposite??

That's not what the common usage of "semblance" is and not how it was meant in that context, it's just the first result that came up when you typed "semblance" into Google.  And I was meant to be taking the piss by having that in my sig, never realised that anyone would actually interpret that as me bragging about my intellect FFS, so I'm getting rid of it. :lol: