Is Mike Ashley the worst person ever to have been associated with NUFC?

AlanSkÃrare

If someone came in with a swop deal for Carrol last year that had: Cabaye, Marveux, Ba, Abeid, and a new striker of Gramerio ilk, would we have taken it ?

the values associated are irrelevant i think.

With the current squad we are two or three injuries away from a relegation fight.

And we have brought players to the club with very doubtful injury records.

Someone needs to explain to our current owners and manager that there is a big difference between being lean and starved to death.

Is our current squad stronger than what we had in mid-January?

We have shipped out our two proven goal scorers from least season, from that point of view, yes.

That has made our squad stronger?

If someone came in with a swop deal for Carrol last year that had: Cabaye, Marveux, Ba, Abeid, and a new striker of Gramerio ilk, would we have taken it ?

I've only seen one of those play (in highlights of twelve games), so no I wouldn't have taken it.

You missed Nolan btw.

Guest thenorthumbrian

With the current squad we are two or three injuries away from a relegation fight.

And we have brought players to the club with very doubtful injury records.

Someone needs to explain to our current owners and manager that there is a big difference between being lean and starved to death.

Is our current squad stronger than what we had in mid-January?

We have shipped out our two proven goal scorers from least season, from that point of view, yes.

That has made our squad stronger?

I didn't make my self clear so I have corrected my post, I think that the squad is weaker from a goal scoring point of view.

And Nolan?

Or just pay the £4.3 million and have them all?

(I realise that isn't how it would work but the values are relevant as they're so differing)

The reason i didnt mention outgoings is because of the Carrol money argument.

My point is, everyone is fixated on the amount of money, but if Cabaye cost 10mill, etc then ppl would have been happy.

I really believe our expectations are being managed. More players will come in. Lets judge then

Guest thenorthumbrian

All the players you have mentioned have either no experience of the premiership or have injury doubts against their names.

It is almost unfair to hang our hopes on them bearing all that in mind.

I hope they come good early on and are a huge success for the sake of United.

My point is, everyone is fixated on the amount of money, but if Cabaye cost 10mill, etc then ppl would have been happy.

I really believe our expectations are being managed. More players will come in. Lets judge then

The reality of that theory is that he didn't cost that much so we should have more money to improve other areas. It should be a win-win scenario.

The fact is there's no certainty about a players quality based on how much they cost. That's why I think it's futile for us to concentrate so hard on how much we're spending. Let's judge the players, not the money.

I know it's possible to buy good players for big money, I've never denied that or said big spending is always bad.

I kinda agree with this but at the same time to push on to the next level it's a must to spend big cash on the best players, you can't break the top 4 without doing it.

The reality of that theory is that he didn't cost that much so we should have more money to improve other areas. It should be a win-win scenario.

Yet people have moaned about our training facilities for years, yet when some of the money is used to improve this area people moan again.

The powers that be can't win whatever they do until the monley of the £35m is off their backs one way or the other

Guest thenorthumbrian

All the players you have mentioned have either no experience of the premiership or have injury doubts against their names.

Carrol isnt far off :)

Yes but if the club had fought to keep Carroll and Nolan and the best of our current players, and added Cabaye and Ba for example, (not breaking tha bank in the process ) we might just might have had a team and a squad capable of competing in in the top half of of the table, perhaps even top 6 or 8.

As a club getting the third best gates in the league that is not too much to ask.

The fact is there's no certainty about a players quality based on how much they cost. That's why I think it's futile for us to concentrate so hard on how much we're spending. Let's judge the players, not the money.

I know it's possible to buy good players for big money, I've never denied that or said big spending is always bad.

I kinda agree with this but at the same time to push on to the next level it's a must to spend big cash on the best players, you can't break the top 4 without doing it.

I agree, but still the price has to be 'reasonable'.  Which top players you think are available at reasonable price? Henderson? Downing? Young?

N'Zogbia is excluded because all the figures involved are just speculations.

I agree, but still the price has to be 'reasonable'.  Which top players you think are available at reasonable price? Henderson? Downing? Young?

when he goes to villa and we hear the price can we include him then?

Guest thenorthumbrian

I live in a world of Ben Arfa's and Cabayes, not in a world of Nolans and Carrols, that world is reserved for Stoke

You live in a world of unproven premiership quality, then. 

I'd rather have a couple of building years and then add one or two cherries on the top tbh.

You get the most out of the top pleayers by putting them on a decent platform, not by asking them to drag a team up by the scruff of the neck.

when he goes to villa and we hear the price can we include him then?

Yup. 

If Phil Jones and Ashley Young play help Man U keep the PL for another season and help push on in the CL I'm sure they'll be worth every penny of the money they have paid for them. Both yet to hit their prime but have talent to make it top notch in the next 2 years.

Liverpool is a different story I'm not sure what they are doing other than spending top dollar on young players who might come good before the new rules come in to place.

Maybe that's Ashleys plan all along. Hold on to cash till the new rules come in then only clubs breaking even with pots of cash can spend to progress. Nahh

I'd rather have a couple of building years and then add one or two cherries on the top tbh.

You get the most out of the top pleayers by putting them on a decent platform, not by asking them to drag a team up by the scruff of the neck.

of course, adding great players to the team now would be stupid

I agree but we aren't doing that we're not building on what we've got we're selling to add players to the team whilst not actually increasing squad depth it appears.