Is Mike Ashley the worst person ever to have been associated with NUFC?

AlanSkÃrare

The fact is there's no certainty about a players quality based on how much they cost. That's why I think it's futile for us to concentrate so hard on how much we're spending. Let's judge the players, not the money.

I know it's possible to buy good players for big money, I've never denied that or said big spending is always bad.

I kinda agree with this but at the same time to push on to the next level it's a must to spend big cash on the best players, you can't break the top 4 without doing it.

I'd rather have a couple of building years and then add one or two cherries on the top tbh.

You get the most out of the top pleayers by putting them on a decent platform, not by asking them to drag a team up by the scruff of the neck.

of course, adding great players to the team now would be stupid

Not what I meant obviously, but imo we will be better off in 3-4 years by building a solid first team and then adding your top players to it then by spunking our load now on one or two big fees

N'Zogbia is excluded because he's a top player available at a reasonable price.

Dave. 9m transfer fees, 65k wages, all these are "assumptions".  You are assuming that he is available at this price, but who knows the truth?  I use historical fact that is available so far.  The best example for you is Phil Jones because there is a clause triggered and therefore his price is the most reasonable one.

We have tried for Gameiro, Gervinho and Erdinc.  Why are you ignoring them then?

The fact is there's no certainty about a players quality based on how much they cost. That's why I think it's futile for us to concentrate so hard on how much we're spending. Let's judge the players, not the money.

I know it's possible to buy good players for big money, I've never denied that or said big spending is always bad.

I kinda agree with this but at the same time to push on to the next level it's a must to spend big cash on the best players, you can't break the top 4 without doing it.

I agree, but still the price has to be 'reasonable'.  Which top players you think are available at reasonable price? Henderson? Downing? Young?

N'Zogbia is excluded because all the figures involved are just speculations.

If Phil Jones and Ashley Young play help Man U keep the PL for another season and help push on in the CL I'm sure they'll be worth every penny of the money they have paid for them. Both yet to hit their prime but have talent to make it top notch in the next 2 years.

Liverpool is a different story I'm not sure what they are doing other than spending top dollar on young players who might come good before the new rules come in to place.

Maybe that's Ashleys plan all along. Hold on to cash till the new rules come in then only clubs breaking even with pots of cash can spend to progress. Nahh

Your point is valid - to Man Utd Young and Phil Jones may worth the price.  How about to us then?

Dave. 9m transfer fees, 65k wages, all these are "assumptions".  You are assuming that he is available at this price, but who knows the truth?  I use historical fact that is available so far.  The best example for you is Phil Jones because there is a clause triggered and therefore his price is the most reasonable one.

We have tried for Gameiro, Gervinho and Erdinc.  Why are you ignoring them then?

Because last time I checked points aren't handed out based on players you try for. Seeing as you're going big on facts, how do you know we lodged realistic bids for those players? All we have is speculation. Our bids might have given us no chance.

Also I haven't seen any of them play so it's hard for me to judge whether or not they'd be good for us, I'll openly admit that. I know for a fact Carroll and Nolan were capable in this league, and the same applies to N'Zogbia.

not that i'd want to answer on dave's behalf but the players we've tried to sign wont win us any points this season

not that i'd want to answer on dave's behalf but the players we've tried to sign wont win us any points this season

Hopefully going to drag this up when Gervinho scores an OG on the first day of the season

I'd rather have a couple of building years and then add one or two cherries on the top tbh.

You get the most out of the top pleayers by putting them on a decent platform, not by asking them to drag a team up by the scruff of the neck.

of course, adding great players to the team now would be stupid

Not what I meant obviously, but imo we will be better off in 3-4 years by building a solid first team and then adding your top players to it then by spunking our load now on one or two big fees

change the terminology from 'spunking' to 'paying' and it sounds more reasonable. personally i'd want us to pay for better players as soon as we can afford it, like now for example.

Hopefully going to drag this up when Gervinho scores an OG on the first day of the season

:laugh: :thup:

They were unrealistic targets.

I agree, but still the price has to be 'reasonable'.  Which top players you think are available at reasonable price? Henderson? Downing? Young?

N'Zogbia is excluded because all the figures involved are just speculations.

If Phil Jones and Ashley Young play help Man U keep the PL for another season and help push on in the CL I'm sure they'll be worth every penny of the money they have paid for them. Both yet to hit their prime but have talent to make it top notch in the next 2 years.

Liverpool is a different story I'm not sure what they are doing other than spending top dollar on young players who might come good before the new rules come in to place.

Maybe that's Ashleys plan all along. Hold on to cash till the new rules come in then only clubs breaking even with pots of cash can spend to progress. Nahh

Your point is valid - to Man Utd Young and Phil Jones may worth the price.  How about to us then?

Depends. If it meant buying Phil Jones and only Phil Jones then no he wouldn't be worth it to us. If it meant being able to improve the squad and also buy someone like Phil Jones then damn right. He's a cracking player and it would show that we are happy to spend money on good quality players who have shown their quality in the PL. A lot like we did under SBR really.

My memory could be bad but, which top players SBR purchased are proven in EPL?

I remember Bellamy was a failure in Coventry City as he couldn't replace Robbie Keane and Robert was from PSG?

Dyer and Jenas were from Championship?

I remember Bellamy was a failure in Coventry City as he couldn't replace Robbie Keane and Robert was from PSG?

Woodgate? Stephen Carr? Nicky Butt? Lee Bowyer? Carl Cort?

Woodgate for one but I was thinking more of the up and coming quality that SBR bought who were making names for themselves even in the lower leagues. I was suggesting the PL quality for Phil Jones. I guess it's what Liverpool are attempting to do now but on a rather more expensive scale.

Woodgate for one but I was thinking more of the up and coming quality that SBR bought who were making names for themselves even in the lower leagues. I was suggesting the PL quality for Phil Jones. I guess it's what Liverpool are attempting to do now but on a rather more expensive scale.

They are all relatively young, and British as well...

Woodgate was a class purchase.  Yup, that's a good one.

The others were pure nightmare...I still remember how negatively I react re the Bowyer's transfer.

Woodgate was a class purchase.  Yup, that's a good one.

The others were pure nightmare...I still remember how negatively I react re the Bowyer's transfer.

To be fair Carl Cort did ok in terms of scoring it was just he fucked his hamstring and then his knee. He scored something like 5 in 10 I'm sure

Because last time I checked points aren't handed out based on players you try for. Seeing as you're going big on facts, how do you know we lodged realistic bids for those players? All we have is speculation. Our bids might have given us no chance.

Also I haven't seen any of them play so it's hard for me to judge whether or not they'd be good for us, I'll openly admit that. I know for a fact Carroll and Nolan were capable in this league, and the same applies to N'Zogbia.

using the same logic then, you don't actually know what we have done, who we've bid for, how much etc ? so what are you complaining about ?

using the same logic then, you don't actually know what we have done, who we've bid for, how much etc ? so what are you complaining about ?

Exactly, just look at when we missed out on signing Modric, we were straight back into the market and made sure we didn't miss out on our second choice, Danny Guthrie.

Exactly, just look at when we missed out on signing Modric, we were straight back into the market and made sure we didn't miss out on our second choice, Danny Guthrie.

Out of all the players that could have been chosen, Guthrie is probably the worst as he was ientified by Keegan as a player he wanted

Dyer wasn't a SBR signing. It's incredible how often that mistake is made on here.

Dyer wasn't a SBR signing. It's incredible how often that mistake is made on here.

Ruud?

Ruud?

Yup, £6m from Ipswich

Ruud?

Yup, £6m from Ipswich

Shit, that was back in 1999!!!  Surely 6M for Dyer means 9M for n'Zogbia is a great buy (considering the 12 year gap/inflation etc).