Corporal Steven Thomas Dunn

Benwell Lad

Total respect and sincere condolences.

Corporal Steven Thomas Dunn

Corporal Steven Thomas Dunn, 27, from Gateshead, died on Tuesday after his Jackal vehicle hit a roadside bomb in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand province.

Colleagues said the soldier, from 216 (Parachute) Signal Squadron, attached to 2nd Battalion the Parachute Regiment Battlegroup, was "always in the thick of it" and "died doing a job he loved".

Corporal Dunn was born in Gateshead where he grew up and attended Saint Joseph's RC School in Hebburn.

A statement on the MoD website said: "His passion for Newcastle United knew no bounds and his thirst and excitement for life was apparent in everything he did. Thoroughly dedicated to his family, his job and to those he served with, this potent blend won him the highest accolades and the respect of all."

He leaves behind his wife Cheryl and daughter Emily.

The family of Corporal Dunn issued a statement saying: "Steven was a loving husband to Cheryl, son to Vicky, and doting dad to Emily. He has left a huge hole in the lives of those he has left behind including his brothers Christopher and Michael. He will also be sorely missed by Kevin, an important person in his life and all his aunts, uncles, cousins and many friends.

"He lived for the Army especially 216 Parachute (Signal) Squadron and worked hard to get his wings of which he was very proud, it was his first love after Cheryl and Newcastle United.

Major Alistair Fawcett, Officer Commanding 216 (Parachute) Signal Squadron said: "Corporal Steven Dunn died doing a job he loved. At every turn he strove to improve the lot of his men.

"He was always in the thick of it and his time in Afghanistan was no exception; with a spark in his eye and his devilish Geordie sense of humour, he tackled his work with a sense of purpose and in the pursuit of making a difference.

"His support of the Magpies was equally potent - a good man to share a beer with and an excellent barometer of unit life."

And Major Mike Shervington, Chief of Staff 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment Battle Group, said: "Corporal Dunn epitomised all that is best in our soldiers and all that is best about Newcastle and the North East.

Guest Roger Kint

I know his cousins, naturally its hit the family hard even more so at this time of year, thoughts are with them all especially his lass and bairn.

RIP Dunny

I tend not to post in RIP threads as me keying in RIP with no feeling is pointless but on reading the O/P the loss of this fella is tragic but I did smile & felt sad at the same time when I read "Geordie sense of humour" & "a good man to share a beer"

R.I.P Corporal Steven Thomas Dunn hopefully the lads will get a win on boxing day for you.

I tend not to post in RIP threads as me keying in RIP with no feeling is pointless but on reading the O/P the loss of this fella is tragic but I did smile & felt sad at the same time when I read "Geordie sense of humour" & "a good man to share a beer"

R.I.P Corporal Steven Thomas Dunn hopefully the lads will get a win on boxing day for you.

Likewise I would tend not to normally, but I felt extremely sad reading the above as he seemed to not only be a very brave person but a great ambassador for the region too.

Also he was one of us, part of the big NUFC family.

Guest michaelfoster

from .com

East Stand season ticket holder Steven Thomas Dunn lost his life in an explosion in Helmand Province earlier this week. The 27 year-old Corporal from Gateshead was serving with the British Army and the following tribute was posted on the Ministry of Defence website:

"His passion for Newcastle United knew no bounds and his thirst and excitement for life was apparent in everything he did. Thoroughly dedicated to his family, his job and to those he served with, this potent blend won him the highest accolades and the respect of all."

And we're sorry to report that lifelong fan Chris Scott recently lost his battle against cancer at the age of 33. Morpeth-born, Wallsend-based Chris was buried with full "Toon Army honours" and in lieu of flowers, mourners were urged to donate to the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation. 

Condolences to friends and family of both lads