Newcastle 1 - 3 Man City - 26/12/2010 - Post-Match Reaction From Page 15

Andy

This is why there were only three slave revolts in the history of Rome.

Was just saying this to the lads in the pub after the game.

Can you explain what is meant by this please?

:spit:

One day you'll grow up.

My point was in what way are we in any way comparable to that saying?

... was Midds not being sarcy...?

Of course I was. And I've already explained it to the bloke.  :rolleyes:

Guest toonlass

It can be somewhat cringeworthy, but if you are even going to go through the trouble of a protest, you might as well see it out a bit longer than the Liverpool match.  Otherwise it's just another little tantrum. 

There isn't really a protest. 51,000+ showed that today. And while we are paying money into the club there is no point in singing "get out of our club". It makes the fans look stupid, like Ashley is really going to stand up at the first chant of this and walk away. Why bother singing it? Makes no difference in the scheme of things.

In truth, we are caught between the hammer and the anvil.  And this is what is so shit.  If we let it be known how we feel, we look like knobs.  If we take it up the ass with quiet dignity, we look like passive tools.  I've wracked my brain over this dilemma (well, for five minutes at least), and I for the life of me can't find a decent solution, without getting particularly nasty.

I mentioned before that I saw a similar scenario when I was a high school teacher.  The principal was fired, and a bullshit staff meeting was held by the board of directors.  The reasons for letting him go were utter shit, so all I could really do to retain my dignity was tell them that I disapproved.  Didn't make one bit of difference, and I wouldn't expect it to.  However, sometimes it is just about dignity.  Protests, revolts and the like only really work when a threshold is reached, and  the status quo is an even worse prospect than being on the losing side.

As this is a football club, that threshold will likely never be reached.  It's a game, and we go there to be entertained.  The only threshold is when it is no longer enjoyable in any capacity to support our club, which would take much more damage for me personally.  I still fucking hate Ashley, but not as much as I enjoy watching us play.  And that is the sad truth, and why I continue supporting this club when every other asshole I know is either an Arsenal supporter, or jumping on 'atchet 'arry's magical mystery tour.

Once again, only three slave revolts  :razz:

Midds summary of the game was a good one, and I can add little to that.

Main point is that the error by Krul is, for me, a culmination of some uncertain performances by him - I am not convinced that he is the worthy successor to Given/Harper that many think. I believe that Forster should be given a run of games once he returns from Celtic and I certainly wouldn't sell him before Krul without having a good look at him in the PL first. Tiote's was a bad mistake, but the guy has been very consistent before this, so we cannot blame him too much ; as Midds says, the team are not good enough to recover from a 2-0 deficit against a team like City. let alone Manu U etc.

Although it was a much improved effort by Routledge I am still not convinced that he will do it regularly enough to warrant his place ; the lad has talent, but there is some sort of mental block which prevents him producing it at the top level consistently.

There are too many players who have not(and will not)bridged the gap between CCC and PL. so where we go from here is anyone's guess. Carroll has been a huge bonus this season and his development will almost certainly result in his leaving the club unless some team-building - CREDIBLE team-building - takes place. If Carroll did leave, relegation would be a certainty unless all his fee were spent on rebuilding the side, so we must hope it doesn't happen this transfer window.

As for protesting against Ashley, there seems little that can be done unless some multi-billionaire challenges him for the club. It is quite obvious that many fans will never boycott, so the club is probably in for a fairly long period of struggle. A tough game at Spurs offers little chance of an early boost and W Ham showed signs of recovery against Fulham so a win against them will be crucial.

Nobody should get complacent -  there are many twists and turns left in this season.......

The better team lost but we only have ourselves to blame by gifting chances in the first 5 minutes.

I can't believe some people are trying to blame Steven Taylor because it's nowt to do with him. The first goal is entirely Krul's fault, the second was Tiote. Both Taylor and Coloccini should have got goal side of Tevez instead of ballwatching, but Coloccini was in the better position to make the block. The third goal was a bloody double deflection.

We knew we'd concede more goals this month or so because we're playing better teams. Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City and Spurs.

We have the team spirit and the quality to finish midtable but we're in a precarious position because we have no squad depth. Our backup players will struggle if called upon - we saw that against West Brom. Injuries will decide our fate unless Ashley takes action in January to bolster the squad.

Still can't believe how jammy their third goal was.  c***s.

I was absolutely raging at how flukey they'd been after everything. :lol:

I feel like I say that after every bloody City match (Fulham excepted). Of course I'm wildly biased, but I genuinely feel that I've never seen a team get more breaks before.

From the Suns match report: "Roberto Mancini's midfield was superb with Nigel de Jong and James Milner outstanding. "

I've probably seen a different match over here in Norway then, because i thought Milner was poor, and certainly not outstanding...

I thought we made city look like title winners today. We were very ave all over the pitch.

def, midfield, attk, ave ave ave.

NO real cutting edge.

In an ideal game, he would have subbed nolan, and brought on a real striker.....nolan was off form, and carrolls shooting was rough as a dog.

I couldnt tell if routledge was playing or not, imo he was anonymous.  Didnt notice him till he came off.

overall we still look poor in attk.  we still got the same problem, we are playing for headers, with ineffective crossers.  only plan B is free kicks, we have nowt else in the locker. NO skill players to dribble intot he box.  Hatem cant come back soon enough really.

MOre ave performances to come for 6 weeks....

For those calling for Forster after this game, didn't he make a massive balls up pretty much costing them the Old Firm game in the one game against half decent opposition he's played against? I'd stick with Krul.

How many errors has Krul got away with this season ? And how many times has Forster saved his respective teams during the past year or so ?

I don't think Norwich fans - as one example - would agree with your view...incidentally, how many times have YOU seen Forster play ? That's why we need to assess him in the PL .

I am unconvinced by Krul this season and hope Harper is soon back in goal.

I thought we made city look like title winners today. We were very ave all over the pitch.

NO real cutting edge.

In an ideal game, he would have subbed nolan, and brought on a real striker.....nolan was off form, and carrolls shooting was rough as a dog.

I couldnt tell if routledge was playing or not, imo he was anonymous.  Didnt notice him till he came off.

overall we still look poor in attk.  we still got the same problem, we are playing for headers, with ineffective crossers.  only plan B is free kicks, we have nowt else in the locker. NO skill players to dribble intot he box.  Hatem cant come back soon enough really.

Absolutely incredible. This idiot is far worse than the journos.

Guest neesy111

NO real cutting edge.

Don't know what game you were watching, probably one of the idiots next to me at the match complaining all game.  Routledge was one of best players in the game.

I feel quite sorry for Wayne as I was quite pleased with his input into the game, his crossing was a little bit better aswell, less said about Gutierrez this time the better.

We need fresh faces all around the pitch so people like Gutierrez can be dropped and give them the kick up the arse they need, no players place should be guaranteed.

NO real cutting edge.

Jesus. Routledge was one of our best players, impressed by him. Far better than jonas, who has been piss poor for months

It's amazing.  Ashley could round up thousands of Geordies, feed them a handful of old rice a day, and toss them into the Killing Fields.  The bedsheet brigade would appear for a game or two before everything dies down into a state of resignation. 

What are your proposals then?

Not to support the team, obviously.

coming from someone that advocates booing based on results and not effort or performances. the mind boggles.

It's amazing.  Ashley could round up thousands of Geordies, feed them a handful of old rice a day, and toss them into the Killing Fields.  The bedsheet brigade would appear for a game or two before everything dies down into a state of resignation. 

coming from someone that advocates booing based on results and not effort or performances. the mind boggles.

Don't remember ever saying that like.

oh come on, your comments in the Fulham match thread were very much in that vain. you can't be a soopafan who supports through thick and thin AND try and justify your booing a draw of a newly promoted team sitting in 7th. well you can if you want but you don't have much credibility.

oh come on, your comments in the Fulham match thread were very much in that vain. you can't be a soopafan who supports through thick and thin AND try and justify your booing a draw of a newly promoted team sitting in 7th. well you can if you want but you don't have much credibility.

It wasn't result based, it was performance based. We weren't good enough, and West Ham's performance against Fulham yesterday highlighted exactly that - it shattered the idea on this forum that Fulham were this great team that we handled well - they were there for the taking and we didn't want it enough.

As far the whole booing thing, that's after the match. Before or after the match, you can say/do/protest whatever you want, but from the 1st minute to the last, support the team rather than these pathetic Ashley chants.

It wasn't result based, it was performance based. We weren't good enough, and West Ham's performance against Fulham yesterday highlighted exactly that - it shattered the idea on this forum that Fulham were this great team that we handled well - they were there for the taking and we didn't want it enough.

As far the whole booing thing, that's after the match. Before or after the match, you can say/do/protest whatever you want, but from the 1st minute to the last, support the team rather than these pathetic Ashley chants.

so you'd boo if we played badly and got a decent result then?

booing a draw against anyone is drastically missing the bigger picture when we've just been promoted and we're 7th in the league, but this is just re-hashing an old argument that we'll never see eye to eye on i reckon.

i agree the ashley chants wont achieve anything, but the ultimate pathetic act is giving the bloke your money in the first place.

It was our "group of lads" versus a team of world class players, and while we pushed them hard and statistics show we dominated over 90 minutes, gifting such a side a two goal lead makes it an impossible task as the original game plan is tossed in the bin.

Decent performances pretty much all round, special mention for Routledge who probably had his best PL outing for us, his substitution had nothing to do with his performance.

Finally must say I absolutely despise their football club, their plastic fans and what they have done to football propped up by dubious wealth. Tevez' behaviour and tantrums sum them up and  I hope the Arab cock sucking bastads fall from the artificial height they have climbed to back to the insignificance they naturally belong to. 

I thought they looked poor yesterday and are relying massively on Tevez. I doubt they would have scored if he wasn't playing yesterday, he scored two and assisted the first.

On the other hand, we rely massively on Carroll. Their team just has more quality throughout and never had to get out of 3rd gear since they'd shut up shop after 5 minutes.