FA Cup 3rd round: Stevenage v Newcastle United (Sat 8th Jan 5:30pm KO on ESPN)

Disco

Guest toonlass

Anyone know a bar in town which will be showing the match AND serves decent beer/lagers i.e. a Tilleys, Bacchus, Tyne, type place ?

Want to watch it out but couldn't suffer drinking J.Smiths/Fosters type crap.

I'm not big on pubs showing the football but would one of those not be showing it?

------------------------ Krul

R. Taylor -- Campbell -- Williamson -- Kadar

---------------------- Smith ----------------------

Routledge -----------------------------Ferguson 

---------------------- Vuckic ----------------------

---------------- Ranger -- Best ------------------

Raylor, Campbell and Best are all injured/doubtfull.

So do people generally think we should play a Carling Cup style reserve team then?

I thought the FA Cup was more important than that, and there's plenty of time until the next league game. I would drop the players we have no replacement for, and any with niggles, but I would put out a fairly decent side for this TBH.

Edit:

Raylor, Campbell and Best are all injured/doubtfull.

----------------------- Krul

Perch -- Williamson -- Kadar -- Ferguson

---------------- Guthrie -- Smith --------------

Routledge -------- Vuckic ------------- Xisco

----------------------Ranger --------------------

Guest toonlass

So do people generally think we should play a Carling Cup style reserve team then?

I thought the FA Cup was more important than that, and there's plenty of time until the next league game. I would drop the players we have no replacement for, and any with niggles, but I would put out a fairly decent side for this TBH.

I would play the likes of Krul, Ferguson, Kadar and Vuckik around a stronger team.

I'd play the youth and fringe, couldn't give a flying fuk about any cup competitions this season, especially with such an important game after.

I'd play the youth and fringe, couldn't give a flying fuk about any cup competitions this season, especially with such an important game after.

Fuck that. I'm a dreamer! Play a strong side, let's win the FA Cup and play in the Europa League next year!!  :celb:

yes and it should still be strong enough.

I know we're not going to win the FA Cup, but we don't want to damage confidence by lying down and dying too soon.

You're right though, the league is everything this season, and probably every other season for the foreseeable future.

I really hope we can get enough points on board to be comfortable and then have a real go at the FA Cup.

A few decent draws (that would be something new) and who knows ?

Wem - ber - leee  !!!

seeing our form against better sides, and the one-off performances we are capable of this season i don't see why we can't go on a cup run this year. but as madras says, for this round some reserve/young players should be enough. if anything it makes it more interesting to see ferguson, vuckic etc get a run out.

We stumble through the 3rd and 4th round, with six game PL games between now and the 5th round - if we get enough points on the board, we could be near the magic 40 mark and would be pretty much safe. Would like us to give the FA Cup a real go after that.

Guest neesy111

Ex Stevenage Manager

"I know we sold a lot of Stevenage shirts to Middlesbrough fans who were walking around Newcastle taunting NUFC fans." Paul Fairclough

Still got a chip the size of the moon after last time.

Guest toonlass

Ex Stevenage Manager

"I know we sold a lot of Stevenage shirts to Middlesbrough fans who were walking around Newcastle taunting NUFC fans." Paul Fairclough

Wonder if he meant Sunderland fans. How often do you see Middlesbrough fans walking around Newcastle?

Ex Stevenage Manager

Wonder if he meant Sunderland fans. How often do you see Middlesbrough fans walking around Newcastle?

Middlesbrough fans can walk?  :kasper:

Ex Stevenage Manager

Middlesbrough fans can walk?  :kasper:

Middlesbrough have fans??  :kasper:

“Outside of that it will be about the squad, and Fergie (Shane Ferguson) is the youngster in it." - Pardew, Chronicle.

Also says Jonas is out, S Taylor has a hamstring and Tioite won't be risked. Shola & Carroll out, Best having a fitness test. Williamson, Ferguson, Guthrie & Ranger all likely to play. Gosling might start, late decision on him.

Krul

Simpson  Williamson  Kadar  Ferguson

Gosling    Guthrie    Smith    Routledge

Ranger  Lovenkrands

Something like that perhaps?