FA Cup 3rd round: Stevenage v Newcastle United (Sat 8th Jan 5:30pm KO on ESPN)

Disco

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Going full strength?

No way should we. Too little strength in depth to cover injuries to key players, the cup isn't important.

Guest andrew

Urghh full strength :facepalm:

Something like this?

Krul

Simpson  Williamson Coloccini  Enrique

Routledge  Barton    Nolan        Jonas

Best      Lovenkrands

Assuming Pardew rests the injured Tiote and Saylor, giving Krul the change in goal?

Going full strength?

No way should we. Too little strength in depth to cover injuries to key players, the cup isn't important.

Exactly,  this season is all about staying up,  a weakened side should still be good enough to beat Stevenage and ideally we can get an easy run and find ourselves in a couple of months time in the quarters and looking safe,  if thats happens then i'll happily take the competition seriously!  winning tomorrow and progressing into round 4 gets us £67k,  if we were to go all the way and win the cup we'd get about £3m.  An 8th place finish in 2008 years ago in the PL got £9.4m, with the new deal i'd reckon about 13th or 14th could get that now, maybe even lower. 

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Considering the amount of fixtures we've had over Christmas, it would have been a great opportunity to rest key players like Enrique, Coloccini, Nolan, Barton etc- we should be getting past Stevenage with all due respect with fringe players and youngsters.

Guest Geordiesned

I hate this attitude that the FA Cup isn't important.

Well it fucking is to me! I really can't understand the mentality of some people who would prefer NUFC to lose a game.

I personally want to see my club win something in my lifetime and a cup competition represents the best opportunity of doing that and likely will for many many years to come.

Well it fucking is to me! I really can't understand the mentality of some people who would prefer NUFC to lose a game.

I personally want to see my club win something in my lifetime and a cup competition represents the best opportunity of doing that and likely will for many many years to come.

We all want to win the game man. However this is Stevenage, from League Two.

We've had a busy Christmas period, injuries are already building up and there is the small matter of a local derby coming up next weekend. We should be resting all players that we simply cannot afford to lose, not just to wrap them in cotton wool but also to give them a rest.

Well it f***ing is to me! I really can't understand the mentality of some people who would prefer NUFC to lose a game.

i don't want us to lose,  i'm going down to the match and want to see the team put on a decent show and win but i think we can beat Stevenage without having to play the likes of Jose, Nolan and Coloccini.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Priorities. We're a newly promoted club, with a fairly thin squad. If we keep our key players fit, we're safe. Lose some, and we're fucked if we have to consistently rely on the likes of Smith, Guthrie-

It's Stevenage. We can afford to send a fringe team and we should be beating them.

Well it f***ing is to me! I really can't understand the mentality of some people who would prefer NUFC to lose a game.

:clap:

THE MAGIC OF THE CUP MAN. THE MAGIC OF THE CUPP!! :smitten:

Of course it's important, this isn't the League Cup. However, we should have enough in the squad to be able to dispatch Stevenage without playing every one of our most prized treasures.

Priorities. We're a newly promoted club, with a fairly thin squad. If we keep our key players fit, we're safe. Lose some, and we're f***ed if we have to consistently rely on the likes of Smith, Guthrie-

It's Stevenage. We can afford to send a fringe team and we should be beating them.

Not directing this specifically at you, but more at the mentality from the past few years.

Two years ago, it wasn't important as the priority was to stay up.

Last year it wasn't important as the priority was promotion.

This season it isn't important because the priority is survival.

So when does it become priority? It's a brilliant cup competition and I want to win it - Portsmouth showed a few seasons ago that you don't have to be the best team to win the competition - and before anyone mentions it, winning the FA Cup doesn't = relegation.

Like I mentioned earlier, come the 5th round we could be quite easily sat safe with 40 points. We should go for it IMO. Not compromise the league campaign, but not treat it like a run-out for the reserves either.

Priorities. We're a newly promoted club, with a fairly thin squad. If we keep our key players fit, we're safe. Lose some, and we're f***ed if we have to consistently rely on the likes of Smith, Guthrie-

Not directing this specifically at you, but more at the mentality from the past few years.

Two years ago, it wasn't important as the priority was to stay up.

Last year it wasn't important as the priority was promotion.

This season it isn't important because the priority is survival.

So when does it become priority? It's a brilliant cup competition and I want to win it - Portsmouth showed a few seasons ago that you don't have to be the best team to win the competition - and before anyone mentions it, winning the FA Cup doesn't = relegation.

Like I mentioned earlier, come the 5th round we could be quite easily sat safe with 40 points. We should go for it IMO. Not compromise the league campaign, but not treat it like a run-out for the reserves either.

Nobody is saying this though, most people are hoping for a side with a strong spine but also to have our most prized assets rested ahead of arguably the biggest game of the season.

We should be able to win the game without playing our absolute best team.