Competition: Ziani chooses El-Jaisch (rich as f*ck Qatari club)

Optimistic Nut

I wonder what people would say if we bought a player who was 26 years and 1 day old...

Still 26. If he was 27 and a day old...well, that's a different kettle of fish.

Because the last time we signed a non-English-speaking foreign midfielder with no Premiership experience who had been on the fringes of his team in a second-tier European League he turned out to be horrible!

:tiote:

because everyone is cheik tiote.

because every 26+ year old winger is Wayne Routledge :lol:

Because the last time we signed a non-English-speaking foreign midfielder with no Premiership experience who had been on the fringes of his team in a second-tier European League he turned out to be horrible!

:tiote:

because everyone is cheik tiote.

because every 26+ year old winger is Wayne Routledge :lol:

Wayne was taken from Palace too young.

Much better player than Routledge.

Maybe a little bit better, not much. They both are the same kind of players.

How much have you seen of Ziani? (Genuine question)

quite a bit with marseille. haven't watched him since he left.

How much have you seen of him, and what do you think of his ability? Genuine question, I've never seen him play as far as I can remember.

I watch a lot of French football (only league I follow particularly after the Prem) and can honestly say 4/5 years ago, he was one of the best players in France. At Sochaux he was brilliant, played pretty much a full season, got at least 7/8 league goals. Perrin got the best out of him there, he had him playing centrally.

He joined Marseille (my favourite French team) at the start of 2007/08, obviously I saw quite a lot of him there. The difference with the way he was playing at Marseille was simple, he wasn't the key player he was at Sochaux. He didn't play a full season in his first season (due to 3/4 month injury incurred around November/December time).

In his second season at Marseille, he was good, really good. I'm not just trying to big him up because he may join us, but he was playing like he was playing at Sochaux, albeit in a very different side. Must have started more than 25 league games that season, scored a good few goals. I don't know much about what's happened to him at Wolfsburg, strange they paid so much for a player they haven't really given much of a chance.

If he can get anywhere close to the form he had at Sochaux, or Marseille we've got a good player on our hands. We've needed a technical, creative midfielder - and importantly someone as well as Barton who will take shots on goal.

How much have you seen of him, and what do you think of his ability? Genuine question, I've never seen him play as far as I can remember.

You have. He played us in the World Cup. Couldn't get past Johnson to save his life.

Was he in the Sochaux team that we beat a few years ago?

The 0-4? Don't think so.

You have. He played us in the World Cup. Couldn't get past Johnson to save his life.

Out of position, and form. For years,  he's been wasted on the wings, much better as a CAM in my opinion.