Darren Bent Signs for Aston Villa

Guest neesy111

Guest Stephen927

It's a huge fee but he'd score goals for any team. Has a good record against the top teams too.

EDIT: Heskey, obviously. :lol:

No matter what ridiculous spin the mackems will seek to put on this deal, Bent leaving is a massively dark day for Sunderland. Despite patchy recent form, he's been overall their best and most effective player since he signed. He's seen as one of the senior and most respected players at the club, the team's talisman and the fans loved him. Worse than that, it pops the myth that Sunderland had progreesed out of the small club mentality that they had for years when players would sometimes blossom at the club before leaving. Under Short and St Niall, it was all supposed to be so different with an ambitious owner, financial strength and Newcastle seemingly in the doldrums.

It hasnt worked out that way though. Sure they'll have the cushion of circa £20miilion to spend (if indeed the owners decide to release all the cash) but what guarentees are there that it will be spent well? Bent guaranteed goals. Bruce desperately spending money on quick replacements, does not.

There's been some guff about how it is similar to Keegan selling Cole. That's nonsense frankly, Cole stepped up to a title challenging side and massive club in MUFC and was sold by the club. With Bent, he has forced the issue to bugger off to a club with a relegation scrap on their hands, disillusioned at we know not what. Furthermore, at the time of Cole's sale (on my 14th birthday ffs!), we were progressing rapidly as a club and had spending muscle that far exceeded most other clubs. Cole's replacement was Ferdinand, six months later who was in his pomp and one of the finest and most complete strikers in English football at the time. There's little or no chance Sunderland can hope to bring in a striker who is even close to Bent. It'll be someone of the ilk of Keane, Crouch or Owen, a poor man's replacement.

Make no mistake, a terrible day for Wearside. And I cant stop laughing.  :lol:

No matter what ridiculous spin the mackems will seek to put on this deal, Bent leaving is a massively dark day for Sunderland. Despite patchy recent form, he's been overall their best and most effective player since he signed. He's seen as one of the senior and most respected players at the club, the team's talisman and the fans loved him. Worse than that, it pops the myth that Sunderland had progreesed out of the small club mentality that they had for years when players would sometimes blossom at the club before leaving. Under Short and St Niall, it was all supposed to be so different with an ambitious owner, financial strength and Newcastle seemingly in the doldrums.

It hasnt worked out that way though. Sure they'll have the cushion of circa £20miilion to spend (if indeed the owners decide to release all the cash) but what guarentees are there that it will be spent well? Bent guaranteed goals. Bruce desperately spending money on quick replacements, does not.

There's been some guff about how it is similar to Keegan selling Cole. That's nonsense frankly, Cole stepped up to a title challenging side and massive club in MUFC and was sold by the club. With Bent, he has forced the issue to bugger off to a club with a relegation scrap on their hands, disillusioned at we know not what. Furthermore, at the time of Cole's sale (on my 14th birthday ffs!), we were progressing rapidly as a club and had spending muscle that far exceeded most other clubs. Cole's replacement was Ferdinand, six months later who was in his pomp and one of the finest and most complete strikers in English football at the time. There's little or no chance Sunderland can hope to bring in a striker who is even close to Bent. It'll be someone of the ilk of Keane, Crouch or Owen, a poor man's replacement.

Make no mistake, a terrible day for Wearside. And I cant stop laughing.  :lol:

They'll struggle to attract players like him now without him and players like Gyan will be doing what he's done in 12 months time.

They can't just keep bringing in players, paying them top whack and tell them its ok to live in Newcastle and you only have to play in Sunderland. Between that and loaning half your XI it spells no real progress and nothing done on merit.

Make no mistake, a terrible day for Wearside. And I cant stop laughing.  :lol:

My guess would be Pavlyuchenko. 

I'd hope it isn't, if they sell Pavlyuchenko I can see Spurs stepping up their pursuit for a striker, and we know who they'd prefer. :undecided:

Doesn't matter when we don't want to sell and the player doesn't want to move.

I really cant see Pavluychenko fancying a move to Sunderland.

I really cant see anyone fancying a move to Sunderland.

I think Keane is the obvious answer in the short term and joking aside he'd probably go if the money was right. No doubt Quinn will spin the blarney to him.

to save me lookng through 25+ pages, anyone mentioned if spurs will get a sell on fee??

Thespence posted something. Around £1.6 mill apparently.

better than nothing i guess!