Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If he's not back and playing by the end of the loan we should just leave him. Too much of a risk.

:kinnear: :mackems:

Disagree? Splashing the cash for a nutcase struggling with injuries and playing s*** for Villa for quite some time is wrong/ too big of a big risk imo. I he had shown he still had it here - why not - but obviously he hasn't.

I was laughing because that was the ultimate statement of the blatently obvious. As if anyone would think Ashley is going to sanction signing him if he doesnt even get fit while here now.

Luke Edwards from The Journal reckon Pardew will want to buy him whether he plays/impresses or not. Possibly selling Guthrie to make room.

Guest Roger Kint

If he's not back and playing by the end of the loan we should just leave him. Too much of a risk.

Disagree? Splashing the cash for a nutcase struggling with injuries and playing s*** for Villa for quite some time is wrong/ too big of a big risk imo. I he had shown he still had it here - why not - but obviously he hasn't.

I was laughing because that was the ultimate statement of the blatently obvious. As if anyone would think Ashley is going to sanction signing him if he doesnt even get fit while here now.

Luke Edwards from The Journal reckon Pardew will want to buy him anyway. Possibly selling Guthrie to make room.

Honestly how much does Luke Edwards know? Ireland is on mega wages and Villa will want a canny fee. We will get next to shit all for Guthrie and his wages will barely make a mark on what Irelan will no doubt ask for. Pardew also wanted to keep Carroll as you may have noticed.........

I think Ben Arfa is likely to be an exception. The chance to sign a player of his ability for that money is too good to turn down, especially since his leg break seems to have been pretty clean.

But you could say the same about Ireland to an extent. When fit and on form and starring for a City side with a decent number of £20m+ players, he was undoubtedly a good player. And his injury (in theory) isn't a serious one that'll damage him physically.

Not saying I believe this is the case, but I don't think it's too stretched to imagine Ashley looking at Ireland as a worthy gamble. Good age, of good calibre/talent, was performing well a few years ago, but is cheap now due to a drop in form in recent seasons (bit like Nolan when we signed him). If he turns things around then we get a valuable player who normally wouldn't be an option for us in for a low price.

Yeah, I don't really disagree with that, I've no idea what is going on in Mike Ashley's head.

I just think that bearing in mind Ireland's mental personality, it would be a gamble too far to sign him without him playing at all.

That said, if he's cheap enough and Pardew thinks he is ready to knuckle down and regain his past form, he is potentially a great player... so who knows.

Ben Arfa was signed for £5m despite having a broken leg (after playing 2 games) and without the club having any reasonable idea of what he'll be like when he returns. Could say the same about Gosling, who no doubt would have been given a decent signing-on fee as a Bosman. So Ireland being signed irrespective of fitness is not all that unlikely tbf.

Gosling was a free. HBA was already here and was going to overcome his broken leg. We are talking about signing a bloke who has shown nothing either in fitness or form over a long period and has suffered niggling injuries in the whole time he has been on loan here. Its a different thing alltogether tbh

Free is never "free" though, as far as we know. We'll have paid Gosling a hefty signing-on fee because of there being no transfer fee, as is the known standard for Bosmans. This despite him being out for at least 6 months at the time we made the signing. And Gosling, with the greatest of respect, isn't anything more than a future "decent" player, so if you go up a few levels to the type of player that Ireland when fit/in form is, then logically Ashley might be willing to take the same gamble but for say £5m (i.e. you pay more for someone who is considerably better, even if the same level of risk remains).

Ireland is already here, same as Ben Arfa was. He's been here for about a month and a half, hardly worthwhile writing him off as injury-prone just yet. His form hasn't been great in the past 1.5 seasons, no, but neither was Kevin Nolan's when we signed him for however many millions (£4m? - and his fitness when we signed him was terrible at the time). The point I'm making is that it's not out of the question that Ashley will see Ireland as a worthy gamble because if he turns things around then he'll be worth alot more than what Villa will probably ask for him in the summer. Ashley has already proven that he'll take a risk on unfit players - if you think they were one-offs, then that is entirely your opinion (just like it's your opinion that Ashley won't see Ireland as yet another "one-off").

I can't feel too much spite towards him tbh, probably couldn't believe his luck when we came calling offering a change of scenery for a couple of months when he's injured anyway. Just another farcical decision by NUFC, and similar to the Gosling deal I see it more of taking a punt on getting a decent player on the cheap rather than with any real consideration for the team's needs. Everything we do is centered around the smallest possible financial risk.

This.

Guest Stephen927

If we're not paying Irelands wages, then the gamble was worth it. It just gets stupid if we do buy him and the injuries continue.

The medical staff at this club are a joke, and have been for as long as I can remember.

Time to clear out the lot of them.

:thup:

Wasn't Ireland injured when he arrived?

Yep.  There were problems with his medical, which was why there was a delay in the loan transfer.

The medical staff at this club are a joke, and have been for as long as I can remember.

How on earth is that relevant? I didn't accuse the medical staff of injuring him themselves.

Yes. Don't really see what that has to do with what I said.

Guest neesy111

Could be that our medical staff have made the injury worse.  He was 50/50 for the Everton game and now ruled out of a game 2 weeks after that.  Something isn't right here.

If you weren't talking about Ireland's injury then you're in the wrong thread.