Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest sicko2ndbest

And since when does Ben Arfa have blue eyes?

He is wanked over far too much on this board

I like him, but he is overegged a little

What do you want from your attacking midfielder?

Goals

Assists

Nolan has 12 goals and 4 assists. He also has an 82% pass completion rate, Not even blue eyed boy HBA would have got close to that this season if fit. Nolan may not be the greatest footballer in terms of athletic ability and sheer skill but as an attacking midfielder playing in a 5 ( which you would have to do with Ireland) I believe he is as effective as any

It's quite simple, I look at the teams whose style I would want us to play in, e.g, Arsenal, Tottenham, Man U, Liverpool, SBR's/Keegan's Newcastle and then I think which player would those teams most likely buy? While they probably wouldn't buy either of them you could make a case that you could put a fully fit Ireland into their team without fucking up their passing and mobility, you couldn't do that with Nolan.

I'd be bloody annoyed if we bothered ourselves with this guy again in the summer. I really can't think of any reason to sign him. He might be better than Nolan? Aye right, think i'll take my chances on the latter.

At his very best he probably was, yeah. But on September 1st, if i was picking right now, i'd undoubtedly have Nolan ahead of him on the teamsheet. I wouldn't even have Ireland in the squad. When he got fit, he had six games to win himself a contract here, as far as i'm concerned. I concede that he's desperately unlucky, but the chance has been blown. Seems a pointless, pointless gamble - especially with HBA returning to fitness.

If he signed he'd be one of our most talented players. Not sure he'd get a dozen goals from midfield like Nolan has but he'd create more imo. (Still not sure I'd sign him but it's certainly worth a pop). Cheap, talented players don't fall into your lap very often...

Got to agree with midds here.

This season more than ever has shown the need for squad depth and more players with a quality touch. Nolan has already shown he won't play every game in a season.

When chasing a game, I can't think of a better talent to turn to on the bench than an on-form Ireland to replace Nolan.

The issue is him staying fit and being happy though.

If he signed he'd be one of our most talented players. Not sure he'd get a dozen goals from midfield like Nolan has but he'd create more imo. (Still not sure I'd sign him but it's certainly worth a pop). Cheap, talented players don't fall into your lap very often...

But it's so debatable that he still has the talent to make it such a bargain. Is he the only attacking midfielder on the market this summer? That's if we even really require one.

I just think it'd be so typical for us to blow a significant part of our budget on a past-it crock. We've been given plenty of warnings over the past four months that it's not a deal worth bothering with.

And I think we've been given a few signs that he is worth pursuing.

In the short time he was on the pitch against Man U and Blackpool, he showed glimpses that his movement and his touch are still there (stronger than Nolan's in a similar role, but it's not really about the comparison).

If he can shake off this injury problem and we can get him in on the cheap, I wouldn't be against another loan deal - even though it's not what Villa want. He's clearly talented.

But it's so debatable that he still has the talent to make it such a bargain. Is he the only attacking midfielder on the market this summer? That's if we even really require one.

I just think it'd be so typical for us to blow a significant part of our budget on a past-it crock. We've been given plenty of warnings over the past four months that it's not a deal worth bothering with.

That's all fair enough tbh.

It's a gamble either way. Take a chance and sign him hoping he rediscovers his form or pass up the chance and see him doing the business for another team and looking like the quality player he was 3 years ago.

Not sure how it will pan out.

It's too big a summer for us to be taking gambles like this one imo. We've got money to spend - i doubt we'll have a budget like this again whilst Ashley's here, and everything has to be absolutely right. I don't expect us to sign five absolute gems, as that just never happens... but it'll be sodding frustrating if we take a punt on Ireland and he (predictably) turns out to be the 'past-it crock'* he looks to be - given the warnings that we've had.

Jonny, he's played about forty minutes. Whilst it's not enough time to write him off as a footballer, admittedly - it's never enough time to think that he's still got it.

*probs a bit harsh but i cba constructing another label.

Guest Heneage

No way would I take him permanently as things stand.

While he showed glimpses it's not enough to suggest buying him outright. The only option for him is to extend his loan from now till the end of next season to give him a full 15+ months to settle, get fit, and play regularly.

I'd use him at home against weaker sides but never in a central midfield context as he's clearly a number 10 playing off the striker type.

As much as i've been frustrated by his problems while here, he's undeniably a far better footballer than Kevin Nolan.

That's the bottom line for me. Nolan is effective to a limited degree, but then so are Stoke and Rory Delap. Is that the extent of our ambition? Pointless comparing the two players really, they work at completely different levels.

Guest magpie99

Forget about Krancjar.

Spurs will try and fleece us plus he is too old and doesnt meet Ashley's player policy. Anyway, Krancjar has eyes on Italy or Spain.

With regard toIreland, I cannot see Ashley forking out big money for him just yet and would imagine if AV are so keen to get rid of him, if someone else doesnt come along, we might get him on a 12 month loan next season. That is the best I can see happening with him.

I watched Leeds v Burnley last night and in particular, I looked at that lad Gradel. He reminds me of a young Wright-Phillips and I thought he might be an asset if we could get him. I dont see Leeds beating QPR next week to make the play offs so I would think Gradel might be up for grabs.

ThaT Snodgrass came on 15 minutes from the end as a sub and to be honest, he did little of any note but looked a bit cumbersome. Not the player for us.

Krul

Simmo Colo Willo Enrique

Tiote Barton

HBA        Ireland    Jonas

Best

Is the only type of formation I could see us playing if we were to sign Ireland.

Guest Roger Kint

Forget about Krancjar.

Spurs will try and fleece us plus he is too old and doesnt meet Ashley's player policy.

:dowie:

He is 26(27 in August) ffs its not like he is too old like Campbell, Lovenkrands or Kuqi who Ashley wouldnt give contracts to ever.

Guest magpie99

Roger

FFS            Campbell, Kuqi and Lovenkrands were signings for the occasion. Even someone as dumb as you should be able to recognise that.

We should be in a better piosition this summer tosign better players than we were when we signed them.

Of course, every post I make, you tend to disagree with which I find humourous to say the least. However, youare entitled to your opinion, pf course...............LOL.

As for the age of Krancjar, who cares. We are not going for the likes of him because of resealeable value in the future.  Do you understand now? No, I didnt think so. ................LOL