MLS

Kaizero

Can see Robinho thinking he can come here and half ass it and still be good. Still, would be great if you got those two.

I'm not sold on it. I don't see any benefit to signing players that used to be good and reinforcing the stereotype of MLS being a football retirement home.

Even if they still come in and do a job the money would surely be better spent on someone coming into their prime who maybe isn't as big a name?

You'd think MLS would benefit more from making star players that attract the attention of big European clubs rather than picking up their leftovers.

They want arses on seats, and viewers on TV, and this is the quickest and most short sighted way to do it.

It has benefits of making the MLS seem more competitive. Generally building the reputation of MLS etc. doesn't mean shit if they don't build on it though.

Can see Robinho thinking he can come here and half ass it and still be good. Still, would be great if you got those two.

I'm not sold on it. I don't see any benefit to signing players that used to be good and reinforcing the stereotype of MLS being a football retirement home.

Even if they still come in and do a job the money would surely be better spent on someone coming into their prime who maybe isn't as big a name?

You'd think MLS would benefit more from making star players that attract the attention of big European clubs rather than picking up their leftovers.

I agree in theory, but I can tolerate Orlando trying to drum-up support in their opening MLS seasons, particularly if they're trying to build connections to the Brazilian community in Florida (and in Brazil). Montreal went out and scooped up a bunch of Italians (De Vaio, Nesta, Ferrari) to get the sizable Italian population of the city on board. It's worked out pretty well for them.

I agree in theory, but I can tolerate Orlando trying to drum-up support in their opening MLS seasons, particularly if they're trying to build connections to the Brazilian community in Florida (and in Brazil). Montreal went out and scooped up a bunch of Italians (De Vaio, Nesta, Ferrari) to get the sizable Italian population of the city on board. It's worked out pretty well for them.

I suppose from that point of view it makes a little more sense.

If robinho thinks that, he'd be completely accurate.

Henry can't even do it, don't see why Robinho would be able to.

I don't get to watch too many Eastern Conference games. Is Henry really that bad? From reading mlssoccer.com you'd assume he's the second coming of Christ.

He's still got great technique, but A-toon's right. He mostly just lollygags around the box waiting for something to happen. Which is fine for him and NY. But lesser players wouldn't be able to get away with it.

Henry's not the only one; Beckham and Dempsey initially struggled, Cahill is average, Denilson completely failed. It just generally takes time for players to adjust and Robinho's temperamental enough to flame out if he's not willing to fully commit.