Ex-players you think we messed up on

James

Olivier Bernard possibly. Maybe his own fault that his career messed up though.

It most certainly was his own fault. Nice fella, but obviously never saw the big picture whilst he was part of it.

God, I bet that lad has some regrets. He certainly should have.

John Dahl Tomasson

This - without a doubt.

Tomasson had been a success playing alongside Shearer in the pre-season games and I am sure that he would have done the business if Shearer had not got that terrible injury at Everton in the pre-season tournament. Tomasson was never  CF and he struggled badly when forced to play there because Shearer was out and Ferdinand had gone.

He proved his quality at AC Milan and had a great career.

We never made the best use of Milner either and he was messed about quite a bit in his early years at the club.

Hamman could have been a great player for us if Gullit hadn't arrived - he didn't get on with him and wanted away.

N'Zogbia is the one that immediately springs to mind, but i suppose given his mental instability, he's never destined for anything bigger than the likes of us or Wigan. Was still excruciating seeing that gutless manager pick Duff over him from the very beginnig, though.

There's one incident that i'll forever associate with Tomasson:

It's a weekday game at SJP circa Feb 98. Late in the game he recieves the ball with the goal absolutely at his mercy on the edge of the box, and manages to almost skim the corner flag with his shot that perhaps travelled to its destination at around 5 mph.

An old fella behind me - who i'd never heard communicate in the previous 5 years, mind you - shouts at the top of his voice, 'he couldn't hit a barn door, he's absolutely f***ing s****'.

Seemed to be the general concensus at SJP. Shame, really. We've certainly seen such judgemental bias rear its ugly head since.

Guest bmoregeordie

milner, faye, n'zogbia, parker.

while zog was a jerk, i never thought they used him well. he was the most dangerous player on the pitch at times. i think he played selfishly in part because they never ran the attack through him so whenever he got the opportunity, he took shots instead of crossing. he had a decent cross, and if they had been deliberate about it having him be a focus, i feel they could've done better with him.

also, i think they used alan smith poorly this season when he played. much more useful on the bench.

Not sure why people keep mentioning Viana... or am I going to get whooshed?

I think we could have got a bit more out of Milner, although not a great deal. He came on a bit at Villa but he's never going to be a world beater.

Agree with those who've mentioned Ambrose and Saha. Babayaro is another one. He was a decent player but we couldn't get the best out of him for whatever reason. Same with Carr, sort of. Alright, he was a limited player, but our midfield did little to protect him and our attack wasn't very mobile so we needed our full backs pushing forward... Carr wasn't up to it. He probably came out looking worse than he really was.

Parker is another one. We were asking the world and not really playing to his strengths.

Not sure why people keep mentioning Viana... or am I going to get whooshed

I'd agree. His career hasn't exactly been stellar since he left either. He was skilful but not strong enough or quick enough.

Not sure why people keep mentioning Viana... or am I going to get whooshed

I'd agree. His career hasn't exactly been stellar since he left either. He was skilful but not strong enough or quick enough.

Exactly. We took a punt on a promising young player and it didn't work out. It happens. No one else has managed to get the best out of him either so he probably just wasn't up to it.