I don't understand the transfer request.

Parky

The problem with this analysis is that if you are right, then it could just as easily been achieved by Carroll waiving the loyalty bonus, and avoid having to hand in a formal transfer request. Anyone can waive a benefit of a contract. He would have avoided the massive stigma of handing in a transfer request at your local club. So it can't have just been about avoiding the loyalty bonus.

I think you're close though - I suspect Carroll wanted to go all along once he had his head turned. He's been on England duty, and stuck with those fuckers for a few days on massive wages can change things. There were stories on here all day yesterday from sources close to the player saying that wheels were in motion and he will be gone today. The personal terms had clearly been agreed well in advance. That isn't the conduct of a player who was reluctantly forced into going because Ashley wanted the cash.

Carroll met with the club early yesterday morning, and once it was made clear he wanted to go, then all that NUFC could do is maximise value, but knowing that if Liverpool didn't stump up the price then they still wouldn't lose - they could still sell him in the summer. I genuinely believe they rejected £35m, but did so knowing that Liverpool were desparate, and anticipating a higher bid. Carroll was then advised by his agent to hand in a transfer request. This forced the issue, meant that NUFC get a higher fee due to the loyalty bonus not being paid, and also have an opportunity to save face as they only sold as they were forced to. This means the £35m became immediately more attractive, financially and from a PR perspective.

All of the above fits with what we saw happened yesterday, it is consistent with all of the "sources" close to the player, and consistent with statements made by both clubs, and is entirely logical.

No conspiracy at all. NUFC behaving like a business. Carroll behaving like a footballer.

Move on.

:clap:

I've been really trying to get my head round the reason for the transfer request. This seems the most logical explanation I've seen so far. At the end of the day money is king.

If you believe it you could also add into that explanation the scenario described by Pardew for a how and why the request got handed in. According to Pardew it came from an attempt by Carroll to force the club to increase his wages which was rejected. That would explain how Carroll was able to come to the conclusion that he was forced out.

Why would Ashley be bothered about PR now anyway?

At the time of the Keegan dismissal, sure, he had his cronies put lies out to save face. But that was back when he was still trying to be "one of us", some sort of free loving hippy owner mixing with the common folk. Since then he's pretty much torn the club apart and made decisions or actions that has had us up in arms (Kinnear, relegation, no spending or communications, Shearer treatment, sportsdirect@sjp, Hughton dismissal). It's quite clear that he doesn't care one bit what we think or do. So after everything he's done, why would he care about bad publicity or rep if he wanted to sell Carroll for a hefty fee? It's not like his stock in the eyes of the average supporter is going to go any lower (and even if it did he wouldn't care one bit).

And as others have said, I don't think Spurs or Liverpool would have made such serious bids without having made sure that the player was willing to go to them in the first place. Unless they knew that Carroll was open to a move, I don't think they'd have bothered with a bid as he had just signed a new contract and was giving us the gab about being the #9 at club he supports, city he loves, etc etc. Carroll's agent has almost certainly been a busy man this week.

“I had a laugh when I heard Newcastle say the found it hard to accept £35m for him. Why do they make players hand in transfer requests when they want them to leave?”

Harry Redknapp.

So Redknapp talks shit until he says something you agree with, then he's the marker for knowing whats going on? :lol:

“I had a laugh when I heard Newcastle say the found it hard to accept £35m for him. Why do they make players hand in transfer requests when they want them to leave?”

Harry Redknapp.

So Redknapp talks shit until he says something you agree with, then he's the marker for knowing whats going on? :lol:

When have I ever said Redknapp "talks shit"

The problem with this analysis is that if you are right, then it could just as easily been achieved by Carroll waiving the loyalty bonus, and avoid having to hand in a formal transfer request. Anyone can waive a benefit of a contract. He would have avoided the massive stigma of handing in a transfer request at your local club. So it can't have just been about avoiding the loyalty bonus.

I think you're close though - I suspect Carroll wanted to go all along once he had his head turned. He's been on England duty, and stuck with those fuckers for a few days on massive wages can change things. There were stories on here all day yesterday from sources close to the player saying that wheels were in motion and he will be gone today. The personal terms had clearly been agreed well in advance. That isn't the conduct of a player who was reluctantly forced into going because Ashley wanted the cash.

Carroll met with the club early yesterday morning, and once it was made clear he wanted to go, then all that NUFC could do is maximise value, but knowing that if Liverpool didn't stump up the price then they still wouldn't lose - they could still sell him in the summer. I genuinely believe they rejected £35m, but did so knowing that Liverpool were desparate, and anticipating a higher bid. Carroll was then advised by his agent to hand in a transfer request. This forced the issue, meant that NUFC get a higher fee due to the loyalty bonus not being paid, and also have an opportunity to save face as they only sold as they were forced to. This means the £35m became immediately more attractive, financially and from a PR perspective.

All of the above fits with what we saw happened yesterday, it is consistent with all of the "sources" close to the player, and consistent with statements made by both clubs, and is entirely logical.

No conspiracy at all. NUFC behaving like a business. Carroll behaving like a footballer.

Move on.

:thup:

thats how i see it.

That's the best and most accurate thing I've read about the transfer to date.

Same, good post and pretty much how I reckon Carroll was thinking.

The truth is that he wanted to go once his mind was opened to the possibility. If he wasn't a geordie it would be a very easy thing to accept. Apart from the local connection it's a good move for him.

Carroll now quoted as saying that Derek Llambias asked him to hand in transfer request and says he felt like he was forced in to it.

Of course he fucking was.

From the clubs viewpoint they extracted maximum value for an asset that's not without his faults, no matter his potential.

Ashley gave the bastard use of his helicopter ffs, not the actions of man with his hands behind his back. Though sometimes I wish Ashleys pilot did have.

Meh - good fee, buy some good forwards in the summer and we'll get over it.

It's the lies and propaganda from the club that fuck me off.

Just be straight with people. The game plan is to buy cheap, damaged or potential 'stock' and then develop them and then sell them.

Let's not kid ourselves that next year we could have similar threads on Tiote or Ben Arfa.

It's what we do now.

Carroll now quoted as saying that Derek Llambias asked him to hand in transfer request and says he felt like he was forced in to it.

why do it if he didn't want away....and he wanted away because the club wouldn't give him a new contract (3month after his last one and massivly increasing his salary).

he agreed cos he wanted the money.

Of course he f***ing was.

From the clubs viewpoint they extracted maximum value for an asset that's not without his faults, no matter his potential.

Ashley gave the b****** use of his helicopter ffs, not the actions of man with his hands behind his back. Though sometimes I wish Ashleys pilot did have.

It's the lies and propaganda from the club that f*** me off.

Just be straight with people. The game plan is to buy cheap, damaged or potential 'stock' and then develop them and then sell them.

Let's not kid ourselves that next year we could have similar threads on Tiote or Ben Arfa.

It's what we every club in the Premiership except for five or so do now.

FYP

Of course he f***ing was.

Ashley gave the b****** use of his helicopter ffs, not the actions of man with his hands behind his back. Though sometimes I wish Ashleys pilot did have.

It's the lies and propaganda from the club that f*** me off.

It's what we every club in the Premiership except for five or so do now.

FYP

Yep - maybe a couple more but don't disagree with that.

I had a laugh when I heard Newcastle say the found it hard to accept £35m for him. Why do they make players hand in transfer requests when they want them to leave?

Harry Redknapp.

:lol: