Cole vs Carroll

Stu
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fucking hell man, the Carroll sell is a good piece of business for the club, provided the money gets spent on players.  We can rebuild our 1st XI for that which for me, provided we get a £10m striker in the bargain would be preferable to relying on Carroll alone.  Yes we'll drop a couple of places due to not having Carroll, but I think with some spending in the same vein that we've been doing, we can push for Europe next season.

Selling Cole fucked us over and if he'd have stayed and partnered Ferdinand, I think we could have won silverware.

Tbf Keegan had been there and done it and he had built our squad from nowt. We had belief and faith in him.

Yes it didn't work out in the 94/95 season, but i think it was Bez who said a lot of the players wished the league placings in the 1st two seasons were the other way around as it all came too much too quick for them.

At the end of the day the two prior seasons with Cole were lower placings than the two without. So it was good business. But a certain man who has bought our player yesterday f***ed it up back then.

It hurts a hell of a lot that Carroll has left after saying all this stuff in the media. And the amount of local pride he used to give us watching from the stand's is irreplaceable.  I bet it hits primary school kids a hell of a lot atm.

These are the kids who say on the playground i want to be like Andy Carroll. Well they aren't going to say it now are they?

Still hurting like :(

Never recall Cole tracking back to head it out of our box.

My memory of watching Cole was him standing with his hands on his hips, waiting for Pedro to skin five and place it on the line for him to tap in.

My memory of watching Cole was him standing with his hands on his hips, waiting for Pedro to skin five and place it on the line for him to tap in.

*that* goal vs Chelsea

*that* goal vs Chelsea

Was that the same game Dennis Wise got sent off?

*that* goal vs Chelsea

Was that the same game Dennis Wise got sent off?

Not sure, just remember us playing a fantastic passing move (not even that many passes), culminating in Cole smashing it in the nearside, top corner of the goal. Keeper never stood a chance.

Guest firetotheworks

It was harder then, because I was young and we sold prospering talent to a rival. This time it's difficult because we've sold potential and hope, but the biggest thing for me is that we've sold what I felt was a fan. It feels like Cole and Fenton rolled into one.

Carroll had the height and aeriial ability to do that job when needed, Cole didn't.  I'd much rather see Cole near the half way line waiting on a counter attack than in our own box defending.

few differences in my opinion:

1) keegan seemed happy for the deal to happen, pardew clearly isnt

2) at the time i seem to recall sir les was chomping at bit to get in a black and white shirt and it was worst kept secret in football he was gonna get his wish either then or the following summer, we have no identified replacement currently

3) with identifying ferdinand and gillespie we seemed to have a plan for going forward

still angry then of course he was the tits, however its more an overwelming sense of sceptisicm that unlike the last time where we got stronger as a squad and team i'm not so sure this time we will due to the differnce in pulling power then to now and who owned club then compared to now

The difference with Cole was that SJH and co - whatever we think of them now - were building something, and there was never any doubt KK would be given the means to buy a decent replacement.

I am staggered anyone could begin to take the word of Pardew (the man who wasn't going to sell AC at any price) when he says he'll be given the full £35m to spend by Ashley and co (self-confessed liars).

It's pitiful that anyone believes that.

Selling Carroll as we are mid table team, the club has no buzz around the city & AC was the man people were pinning hope on.

Cole was much more of shock than the AC deal but with KK most fans felt there was man we can trust & the city was buzzing about NUFC back then so it was seen as blip rather than one thing after another.