Where does Carroll rank...

Tooj

Carroll's fantastic in the air, but he's only average on the ground. Shearer and Ferdinand were streets ahead of him as were both nearly as good in the air but much better with the ball at their feet.

Different types of players, but Cole and Beardsley in their prime would both have been better in my eyes too. Same for probably a motivated, fit Michael Owen, but it's debatable if we ever saw that in a black and white shirt.

Carroll's fantastic in the air, but he's only average on the ground. Shearer and Ferdinand were streets ahead of him as were both nearly as good in the air but much better with the ball at their feet.

Different types of players, but Cole and Beardsley in their prime would both have been better in my eyes too. Same for probably a motivated, fit Michael Owen, but it's debatable if we ever saw that in a black and white shirt.

I couldn't disagree more. Carroll's always been very good in the air, but he has come on loads with the ball at his feet. I'm with Ronaldo on this one. If Carroll keeps himself fit and relatively out of trouble, he'll be a Premier League great.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I agree with this ^

He's a very special player, right now top 5 striker in Newcastle history, could have been top 1-2.  He wins everything in the air, is rapidly improving footwork-wise, is relatively two footed, defends like an animal and at times was our best midfielder and striker in the same game, and refuses to be outworked.  If he stays healthy and out of jail, he will be one of the 3 best strikers in the league, #1-#2 for England, and a worldwide phenomenon.  FIFA/FM coverboy and all that.

I couldn't disagree more. Carroll's always been very good in the air, but he has come on loads with the ball at his feet. I'm with Ronaldo on this one. If Carroll keeps himself fit and relatively out of trouble, he'll be a Premier League great.X

I agree wholeheartedly that he's improved with the ball at his feet, but he's improved from shit to average.If he continues that improvement he'll be superb, but he's a long way short yet.

I agree with this ^

He's a very special player, right now top 5 striker in Newcastle history, could have been top 1-2.  He wins everything in the air, is rapidly improving footwork-wise, is relatively two footed, defends like an animal and at times was our best midfielder and striker in the same game, and refuses to be outworked.  If he stays healthy and out of jail, he will be one of the 3 best strikers in the league, #1-#2 for England, and a worldwide phenomenon.  FIFA/FM coverboy and all that.

:lol: What?

Wow, never seen the 'just sold him so let's underrate him' effect on here so strongly before. I appreciate Yorkie specifically was talking about 'best spells' at NUFC, but still, to see Owen, Martins and Viduka's name mentioned ahead of Carroll in this thread... fucking hell bluelaugh.gif

All things considered, he's potentially the best front man we've had, certainly shy of a pre-injury Shearer.

I say front man to distinguish from Bellamy, Beardsley et al. Throw them into the mix and the conversation maybe becomes too much about team strategies and too little about the individuals.

Until this season I thought he had a huge amount to prove and people were rating him based upon their hopes rather than how good he actually was in reality. He had started to go some way towards backing those hopes up this season, but he's still got a huge amount to prove and I still think he's over-rated by a lot of people. He was definitely the best forward we had at the club, which is something I wasn't sure about in the summer and we will miss him for the rest of the season, however I think we could get someone for around £10m who could do as good a job - perhaps better - in the summer and as long as the money isn't taken out of the club - I don't care what it's spent on transfers, wages, running costs or whatever, it all comes out of the same pot after all - I think this transfer will benefit the club hugely. Although my opinion of Carroll has improved from when I thought we should just get rid of him due to the hassle, I still don't think he'll ever justify a £35m+ price tag.

Guest firetotheworks

Below Shearer, Cole, Ferdinand and Bellamy, which is extraordinary considering the amount of time we're talking about. Obviously we won't know whether he'd have been as good as those mentioned. I could defintely have seen him quickly surpassing Ferdinand if he'd kept that form up for another season.

Currently not even close to strikers like Shearer, Ferdinand and Cole. Still behind the likes of Bellamy, Martins and dare I say Owen. In the future who knows, I still see him as one dimensional, but if he can add and improve the other aspects of his game, then he could become very good indeed. My bet is though that even in his peak, he wouldn't be as good as the first three names mentioned.

'still behind the likes of Martins'....???? Keep it up, I'm rolling around the floor here..! That was one of the best quotes of the day !

Why? This thread is all about opinions as there is no real objective way of measuring. I happen think Martins is a more complete player though obviously Carrol best him in terms of heading and ability in the air (mind you Martins was not too bad at heading either). Martins is physically faster, has better dribbling skills, ball control and can shoot with more power and potentially more accuracy including long rangers. These are all attributes that of course Carroll can improve on in the future but I'm comparing the Carroll of now vs the Martins that played for us.

On a side note, are you able to debate like a grown up or are you only capable of throwing insults? Boo hoo someone said something bad about my hero Carroll, let me insult him quick, pathetic. If you don't rate Martins, fair enough but at least try to argue your point.

Your reply isn't even worth me trying to answer but as you are so deluded I will try and get something to penetrate those shell-like ears...

Apart from anything else, the club paid NOWT for Carroll and 10m for Martins - do you think the club got value from him ? Are you even sure the club knew exactly how old he was ? Did he pull up any trees for Nigeria in the WC ? Oh, sorry, he wasn't playing because Wolfsburg weren't playing him either...talking of that, it was probably the best deal this club has EVER done in getting 10m back from Wolfsburg when they sold him - bet the Germans just LOVE NUFC...

Martins was a headless chicken, not fit to lace Alan Shearer's boots - and given the choice, even if the player was 5 years younger, do you think Liverpool would have paid 35m for him ??

I don't(and won't)have to justify WHO is my football hero - I haven't got one. Unlike you., I grew up years ago and stopped putting these guys on a pedestal. However, you keep trying - you'll get it right one day, but I wouldn't like to place a large amount of cash on as to when..!

Ashley must just LOVE having fans like you - luvverly jubbly..!!!!

Currently not even close to strikers like Shearer, Ferdinand and Cole. Still behind the likes of Bellamy, Martins and dare I say Owen. In the future who knows, I still see him as one dimensional, but if he can add and improve the other aspects of his game, then he could become very good indeed. My bet is though that even in his peak, he wouldn't be as good as the first three names mentioned.

'still behind the likes of Martins'....???? Keep it up, I'm rolling around the floor here..! That was one of the best quotes of the day !

Why? This thread is all about opinions as there is no real objective way of measuring. I happen think Martins is a more complete player though obviously Carrol best him in terms of heading and ability in the air (mind you Martins was not too bad at heading either). Martins is physically faster, has better dribbling skills, ball control and can shoot with more power and potentially more accuracy including long rangers. These are all attributes that of course Carroll can improve on in the future but I'm comparing the Carroll of now vs the Martins that played for us.

On a side note, are you able to debate like a grown up or are you only capable of throwing insults? Boo hoo someone said something bad about my hero Carroll, let me insult him quick, pathetic. If you don't rate Martins, fair enough but at least try to argue your point.

Your reply isn't even worth me trying to answer but as you are so deluded I will try and get something to penetrate those shell-like ears...

Apart from anything else, the club paid NOWT for Carroll and 10m for Martins - do you think the club got value from him ? Are you even sure the club knew exactly how old he was ? Did he pull up any trees for Nigeria in the WC ? Oh, sorry, he wasn't playing because Wolfsburg weren't playing him either...talking of that, it was probably the best deal this club has EVER done in getting 10m back from Wolfsburg when they sold him - bet the Germans just LOVE NUFC...

Martins was a headless chicken, not fit to lace Alan Shearer's boots - and given the choice, even if the player was 5 years younger, do you think Liverpool would have paid 35m for him ??

I don't(and won't)have to justify WHO is my football hero - I haven't got one. Unlike you., I grew up years ago and stopped putting these guys on a pedestal. However, you keep trying - you'll get it right one day, but I wouldn't like to place a large amount of cash on as to when..!

Ashley must just LOVE having fans like you - luvverly jubbly..!!!!

What the hell are you talking about? Are you drunk or on drugs?

Who is comparing the price/value of Carroll vs Martins or how much we sold them for, the question in this thread wasn't who was more expensive or how old Martins is (stale joke by the way). Neither did I say anything to indicate that Martins is aywhere close to Shearer. When did I put Martins or anyone else on a pedestal? Can you read for f*** sake?

It was a simple question of where do you think Carroll is ranked amongst our previous strikers and I happen to think that Carroll at present is still the behind the likes of Owen, Bellamy and Martins (at their best). For the record I think Martins is above average and nowehere close to the likes of Shearer, Cole and Ferdinand. If you disagree with my ranking that is fine. This is all just subjective assessment (mine included). I'm not even going to argue with your ranking and insist that it is somehow objectively wrong.

Plus how does this thread have anythig to do with Ashley?  :lol: