The looking-on-the-bright-side thread.

OzzieMandias

Some of the ones on huge wages left anyway.

those that were offered it. th rest stayed as no-one wanted them or wouldn't meet their prices.

Exactly. In that way we were lucky, as I think if he had the choice Ashley would have sold off more players, and we may have struggled to get promoted. Forced ambition if you like.

This season we've only had an average injury list, and not all at the same time, so it hasn't impacted us so much. The players still with us who got relegated have done far better than most expected. Tiote was a good piece of scouting no doubt, but there's also luck that a player who was a sub in a Dutch team hit the ground running in the Prem, and we were especially lucky with the way Carroll developed, as going into the season our strikeforce looked terrible.

so surely the things that have gone against us must be unlucky then or does it only work one way ?

I'd expect a mixture of good and bad luck. This season aside from a few injuries, it's mostly been good luck on the playing front, and most of the players have hit good form.

When we got relegated there was a bit of bad luck, yes, especially with all our strikers and attacking midfielders playing poorly at the same time in the second half of the season, but we should never have been in the position where a bit of bad luck was enough to get us relegated. That took help from a lot of poor decisions from the management. For a club of our means, a season of bad luck should mean a bottom half finish at worst.

We were lucky that more didn't want to leave.

Smith

Is s***, but by all accounts played an important part in getting us back up.

apparently true and not really cos of much he done on the pitch.

Smith was a very important part of our excellent defensive record in the first half of last season. He was also part of the team that beat Villa 6-0

those that were offered it. th rest stayed as no-one wanted them or wouldn't meet their prices.

Exactly. In that way we were lucky, as I think if he had the choice Ashley would have sold off more players, and we may have struggled to get promoted. Forced ambition if you like.

This season we've only had an average injury list, and not all at the same time, so it hasn't impacted us so much. The players still with us who got relegated have done far better than most expected. Tiote was a good piece of scouting no doubt, but there's also luck that a player who was a sub in a Dutch team hit the ground running in the Prem, and we were especially lucky with the way Carroll developed, as going into the season our strikeforce looked terrible.

so surely the things that have gone against us must be unlucky then or does it only work one way ?

I'd expect a mixture of good and bad luck. This season aside from a few injuries, it's mostly been good luck on the playing front, and most of the players have hit good form.

When we got relegated there was a bit of bad luck, yes, especially with all our strikers and attacking midfielders playing poorly at the same time in the second half of the season, but we should never have been in the position where a bit of bad luck was enough to get us relegated. That took help from a lot of poor decisions from the management. For a club of our means, a season of bad luck should mean a bottom half finish at worst.

but it's not luck either way that the majority of our squad stayed due to being on high enough wages to put everyone else off.

but it's not luck either way that the majority of our squad stayed due to being on high enough wages to put everyone else off.

It wasn't luck that got us into that situation, no, it was down to Ashley's choice to give them those contracts. But once there I'd say it was fortunate (form our point of view as supporters) we were somewhat hamstrung in who we could easily dispose of, as given a free choice I think Ashley would have let more go.

Yeah, we lost Carroll, but it was always the case that he'd be off to a "bigger" club sooner or later. At least we bagged the seventh biggest transfer fee ever

:lol: I like how we've gone from being a "trophy signing" club to being a trophy sale club, and it's being spun as a good thing.

IMO Ashley's been as lucky as f*** this season and last. We'll see how it all pans out in the future, and if we do well in the next couple of seasons I'll give him credit for it. FWIW I hope you're right about the direction of the club. They say there's a first time for everything.

I agree that Ashley has got lucky in the last couple of seasons.  He should thank the players and Hughton for that - if they didn't have such a good team morale, personal pride and collective responsibility then we could have seriously struggled if the attitude of the players when we got relegated had prevailed.

lucky ? we had the best squad in that divison last season.

We were lucky they weren't the worst. Attitude is a gigantic determinant of success, and one of our futures was laid out before us at Leyton Orient.

We were lucky there was such a turnaround in application...

unlucky there wasn't the season before ?

Given the way we started at Old Trafford, I think that wound was self-inflicted.

It wasn't luck that got us into that situation, no, it was down to Ashley's choice to give them those contracts. But once there I'd say it was fortunate (form our point of view as supporters) we were somewhat hamstrung in who we could easily dispose of, as given a free choice I think Ashley would have let more go.

Clubs might have preferred to buy Coloccini and Jonas ahead of Martins and Duff... Then where would be have been?

Yeah, we lost Carroll, but it was always the case that he'd be off to a "bigger" club sooner or later. At least we bagged the seventh biggest transfer fee ever

:lol: I like how we've gone from being a "trophy signing" club to being a trophy sale club, and it's being spun as a good thing.

IMO Ashley's been as lucky as f*** this season and last. We'll see how it all pans out in the future, and if we do well in the next couple of seasons I'll give him credit for it. FWIW I hope you're right about the direction of the club. They say there's a first time for everything.

I agree that Ashley has got lucky in the last couple of seasons.  He should thank the players and Hughton for that - if they didn't have such a good team morale, personal pride and collective responsibility then we could have seriously struggled if the attitude of the players when we got relegated had prevailed.

lucky ? we had the best squad in that divison last season.

We were lucky they weren't the worst. Attitude is a gigantic determinant of success, and one of our futures was laid out before us at Leyton Orient.

we were also lucky they werent wiped out in a terrible bus accident on the A1 aswell then.

Given the way we started at Old Trafford, I think that wound was self-inflicted.

yeah one game proves a lot.

Clubs might have preferred to buy Coloccini and Jonas ahead of Martins and Duff... Then where would be have been?

Martins and Duff would have raped the Championship.

colo would only have moved if we subsidised his wages which we didn't seem willing to do.

he was given a free choice, he could've went the leeds route and just got rid regardless including subsidisng players wages, slashing fees  and such to get the majority off the books...he didn't.

Martins and Duff would have raped the Championship.

If they'd stirred themselves from the physio room.

yeah one game proves a lot.

Plus the end of the previous season.

colo would only have moved if we subsidised his wages which we didn't seem willing to do.

So we were lucky clubs wouldn't offer him an equivalent contract? Or we were lucky Ashley had enough money of his own that he didn't have to spend £60k subsidising to save £20k? Or Leeds were unlucky that they didn't have an investor rich enough to protect his investment?

Bloody stupid thread this has turned into...

So we were lucky clubs wouldn't offer him an equivalent contract? Or we were lucky Ashley had enough money of his own that he didn't have to spend £60k subsidising to save £20k? Or Leeds were unlucky that they didn't have an investor rich enough to protect his investment?

as soon as someone brought luck into it it went downhill. especially on the basis of anything good was lucky, all bad was blame.

Personally, I just can't see things in a positive light. It may be because I'm a miserable bastard but for me, getting rid of Hughton and selling Carroll were two huge mistakes.. The kind of mistakes that can destroy a club. I know that we have to move on and the players seem to have done just that, still I can't help but feel disillusioned about Ashley's tenure.. I'd prefer to be optimistic like but there's nothing I can do about it, it all comes from the heart.

as soon as someone brought luck into it it went downhill. especially on the basis of anything good was lucky, all bad was blame.

The strange thing is that I don't think there is a single NUFC fan who thinks Ashley has done a great job, there is however a minority of fans who are able to accept that the harsh financial actions he's taken were a neccessary evil. As it stands we're effectively back to 2005/06 only in a much better financial situation and with a much better squad.  (Nice way of putting it but obviously doesn't take into account the strides that other clubs have taken)

It doesn't gloss over all the shit he's brought to the club - Keegan+ DoF, Kinnear, Hughton the For Sale signs etc but I do have it in myself to look at the big picture. Even if he makes the club a more sellable asset it's a good thing for the club, it's symptomatic of his actions.

That's the big picture for me.

Personally, I just can't see things in a positive light. It may be because I'm a miserable bastard but for me, getting rid of Hughton and selling Carroll were two huge mistakes.. The kind of mistakes that can destroy a club. I know that we have to move on and the players seem to have done just that, still I can't help but feel disillusioned about Ashley's tenure.. I'd prefer to be optimistic like but there's nothing I can do about it, it all comes from the heart.

The sale of Carroll also has the potential to make this club. This summer is going to be a big one.

Personally, I just can't see things in a positive light. It may be because I'm a miserable b****** but for me, getting rid of Hughton and selling Carroll were two huge mistakes.. The kind of mistakes that can destroy a club. I know that we have to move on and the players seem to have done just that, still I can't help but feel disillusioned about Ashley's tenure.. I'd prefer to be optimistic like but there's nothing I can do about it, it all comes from the heart.

The sale of Carroll also has the potential to make this club. This summer is going to be a big one.

aye, one way or the other.

Personally, I just can't see things in a positive light. It may be because I'm a miserable b****** but for me, getting rid of Hughton and selling Carroll were two huge mistakes.. The kind of mistakes that can destroy a club. I know that we have to move on and the players seem to have done just that, still I can't help but feel disillusioned about Ashley's tenure.. I'd prefer to be optimistic like but there's nothing I can do about it, it all comes from the heart.

Hope you're right my friend..

aye, one way or the other.

Personally, I'm not bothered about what percentage of Carroll's transfer is spent, only that whatever is spent is done so in the best interests of the playing squad and that gaps are filled and filled proficiently, which in my opinion have been a strong point of the Ashley 'reign'.