Every player has his price?

TRon

Guest Wearside

Gyans value has not gone up by 50% in the last 6 months.

If we were to sell Tiote, I think we would get £20m easily.  Palacios was £16m and Tiote is a much better player.  I would be gutted if we got less than £20m.  And Jose would cost around £13m+ were he to sign an extension.

But please don't sell them for gods sake.

A strikers' value will always go up massively once people know they can score in the Premier League,Gyan never started a league game for us till November but still has 10 goals and that's not bad for a few months work in his first season.

I like Tiote a lot but IMHO he is not a £20m player but it's the same old scenario and that's a player is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.Enrique was one of your few good players last time around but he won't go for £13m if he is in last year of his contract,I would say you're looking at £9/10m.

Guest Wearside

How old is Gyan? I quite liked him at the World Cup but he does look like he's knocking on a bit.

Aye he has just turned 25 I think,looks like he went to the same ageing school as Obafemi Martins. :)

How old is Gyan? I quite liked him at the World Cup but he does look like he's knocking on a bit.

Aye he has just turned 25 I think,looks like he went to the same ageing school as Obafemi Martins. :)

That's why I don't think he'll be worth anywhere near the £20m you have priced him at. Sunderland have bought a decent striker but they paid top whack IMO. He looks closer to 30 than 25.

If we were to sell Tiote, I think we would get £20m easily.  Palacios was £16m and Tiote is a much better player.  I would be gutted if we got less than £20m.  And Jose would cost around £13m+ were he to sign an extension.

A strikers' value will always go up massively once people know they can score in the Premier League,Gyan never started a league game for us till November but still has 10 goals and that's not bad for a few months work in his first season.

But you guys overpaid in the first instance so all that has happened is that he has justified his fee. No increase.  Look at Hernandez at Man United for a player thats value will have increased.  Gyan can be said may be worth his fee now but that is it.

And you know Tiote will go for £20m, whether he is worth that or not that would be the fee we would get.

Guest Wearside

That's why I don't think he'll be worth anywhere near the £20m you have priced him at. Sunderland have bought a decent striker but they paid top whack IMO. He looks closer to 30 than 25.

Serious question......

Would you not like Gyan at Newcastle?

He is a better footballer than Bent,he won't score as many goals but his all round play is very impressive and a real team player.

You can't value a player in pounds. Gyan isn't worth £20m in the same way Bent wasn't worth £24m and Carroll wasn't worth £35m.

A player is only worth what his club sells him for. There's no way Coloccini's worth £12-15m but that's all i would consider letting him go for, nothing less, because he's almos invaluable for us.

I know there was paper interest in Henderson and infuses you base your price on that but in all honesty he's not worth half if that. Think meyler and malbranque are wat over priced, ones a permanent crock the other a granddad.

Can understand £20m for Gyan though, he's been good, on a long deal, young and in his first season, Sunderland would be mad to sell for any less since they took a gamble in £13m in the first place.

Guest Wearside

I know there was paper interest in Henderson and infuses you base your price on that but in all honesty he's not worth half if that. Think meyler and malbranque are wat over priced, ones a permanent crock the other a granddad.

Can understand £20m for Gyan though, he's been good, on a long deal, young and in his first season, Sunderland would be mad to sell for any less since they took a gamble in £13m in the first place.

Henderson will be gone in the summer and he will go for a bare minimum £15m IMHO,all the top clubs want him and by all accounts he is the ultimate professional off the pitch and people like Fergie will love that.

If Henderson is apparently worth £15m I really can't see how you can argue Tiote isn't worth £20m.

Can you honestly, HONESTLY say Henderson has been even remotely as effective as Tiote? Seriously? 

I must admit I must have caught all his off games but I have seen absolutely nothing special about Henderson, he has looked a partially better than average young midfielder. That is without any bitterness because I completely agree about Gyan looking a bit classy.

Guest Wearside

If Henderson is apparently worth £15m I really can't see how you can argue Tiote isn't worth £20m.

Can you honestly, HONESTLY say Henderson has been even remotely as effective as Tiote? Seriously? 

I must admit I must have caught all his off games but I have seen absolutely nothing special about Henderson, he has looked a partially better than average young midfielder. That is without any bitterness because I completely agree about Gyan looking a bit classy.

Henderson is not effective as Tiote is for you lads,that is fact but people need to realise that Henderson is 20 year old and he will be in-consistent,he is a young lad who has impressed in a lot of games and already has an England cap under his belt at such a young age.He has played every game for us this season purely because of all the injuries we have had,he needs a rest badly but we have no-one to rest him for till Cattermole or Meyler come back.

People ask too much of young players and this is just another example,trust me when he is at Man Utd next season he will look a good player because he won't have to play as many games as he is now.

Ok your a Newcastle fan,how good was Carroll when he was 20?Wasn't he at Preston or somewhere then?

A players value to us should be at least the cost of his replacement, Carroll wasn't worth anywhere near £35 million and we'll benefit if we spend his transfer fee wisely.  Enrique, Tiote and Coloccini are three of the best players I've ever seen at this club in their respective positions.  We should value them with that in mind as well as the cost of replacing them with players as good as they currently are.

A players value to us should be at least the cost of his replacement, Carroll wasn't worth anywhere near £35 million and we'll benefit if we spend his transfer fee wisely.  Enrique, Tiote and Coloccini are three of the best players I've ever seen at this club in their respective positions.  We should value them with that in mind as well as the cost of replacing them with players as good as they currently are.

Best post in this thread by a country mile.

Serious question......

Would you not like Gyan at Newcastle?

He is a better footballer than Bent,he won't score as many goals but his all round play is very impressive and a real team player.

I wouldn't pay £13m for a 30 yr old no.

Every player DOES have his price - you just have to look at the Ronaldo transfer to see that because Man U didn't want to let him go.

However, unless your squad is strong or has a similar player coming through the ranks, it is important to obtain a replacement before you lose the star to another club.

Failure to do so means ;

1. Disillusion among fans

2. Danger of missing out on top placings/poss of relegation

3. Clubs who have players you want will then shove the price through the roof because they know you have big money from the transfer.

4.Unless you DO replace the player or strengthen the squad, other top players in the side will become restless and view the sale as lack of ambition.

Sound familiar....?

If we were to sell Tiote, I think we would get £20m easily.  Palacios was £16m and Tiote is a much better player.  I would be gutted if we got less than £20m.  And Jose would cost around £13m+ were he to sign an extension.

Palacios was 12M (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7840642.stm). We were desperate, too, and I think they're not too far off each other in quality. He did all right at the San Siro the other day.

I don't think you'd have a hope in the world of getting 20M for Tiote (who would pay that exactly?) but that's not really the point of the thread. I think it's about what money would you say yes to, and I agree that any less than 20M and you're shooting yourselves in the foot.

Whether I'd rather have £35m or Carroll is a tricky question. But £20m or Tiote? Easy: Tiote every time. There's no way we could replace him for £20m (who could we attract that could do his job as well as he does it?) and we'd break the team by selling him.

Whether I'd rather have £35m or Carroll is a tricky question. But £20m or Tiote? Easy: Tiote every time. There's no way we could replace him for £20m (who could we attract that could do his job as well as he does it?) and we'd break the team by selling him.

You say that he cannot be replaced with £20 million but how much do you reckon he cost us in the first place? Definitely not more than £5 million. Lets face it the scouts did a cracking job with Tiote, Who's to say that they can't unearth another Gem like him.

Agree. And Tiote is worth much more than £20 mill. He's been one of the best, if not the best dm in PL. And he hasn't the same backing as De Jong (c***) or Essien.  When Tiote was suspended, we all saw how much he meant to us. Tbh, I don't think MA will sell him for if he's offered £20, he's too vital for us. We can say much about MA, but he seems like a very good negotiator. And he knows that the fans will not forgive him unless we're offered something similar as we did for Carroll.