Newcastle United 1 - 2 Everton - 05/03/11 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

It's the manner of the defeat though. Everton were poor too but they were better than us. Some of Pardew's decisions yesterday were insane. Some of the performances from the players was totally unacceptable. The harsh reality of the situation is that we're not safe yet and a few more games like that and we'll tumble down the league.

Harsh to call Everton poor. I thought they counter attacked in the second half with real menace and really should have at least one more goal, considering their chances. Arteta ran the game.

Thought the pissed on us first half too tbh ,cut our defence to shreds easily.

Guest BooBoo

Harsh to call Everton poor. I thought they counter attacked in the second half with real menace and really should have at least one more goal, considering their chances. Arteta ran the game.

They were poor up front and that's why we didn't suffer our heaviest defeat of the season.

Saha in particular had a host of chances but his finishing was hopeless. Anichebe was frankly an embarassment.

Stick a decent striker in their team and Everton are still a decent side.

Guest BooBoo

It's the manner of the defeat though. Everton were poor too but they were better than us. Some of Pardew's decisions yesterday were insane. Some of the performances from the players was totally unacceptable. The harsh reality of the situation is that we're not safe yet and a few more games like that and we'll tumble down the league.

Thought the pissed on us first half too tbh ,cut our defence to shreds easily.

Yeah, our goal came very much against the run of play.

Saha in particular had a host of chances but his finishing was hopeless. Anichebe was frankly an embarassment.

Stick a decent striker in their team and Everton are still a decent side.

Agreed.

I don't think we were poor like. We weren't amazing, perhaps made to look better by the insane amount of space you gave us at times - the pitch looked absolutely massive but it was seemingly due to a lack of closing down. Our finishing was, as usual, terrible hence we always gave you a chance and despite our counter attacks in the 2nd half, if the game went on for another 10 minutes, I think you could have got something. We were getting deeper and deeper and playing quite a dangerous game.

I don't think we were poor like. We weren't amazing, perhaps made to look better by the insane amount of space you gave us at times - the pitch looked absolutely massive but it was seemingly due to a lack of closing down. Our finishing was, as usual, terrible hence we always gave you a chance and despite our counter attacks in the 2nd half, if the game went on for another 10 minutes, I think you could have got something. We were getting deeper and deeper and playing quite a dangerous game.

You were poor up front.

You were poor up front.

Tell me about it. Mind I thought Beckford had scored from the acute angle, great shot and great save.

Tell me about it. Mind I thought Beckford had scored from the acute angle, great shot and great save.

I haven't seen any stat's, I would think you were well into double figures for chances and you're always under pressure if you don't take them.  For that reason I can understand how people can say that you were poor.

Guest neesy111

I haven't seen any stat's, I would think you were well into double figures for chances and you're always under pressure if you don't take them.  For that reason I can understand how people can say that you were poor.

Sounds like us this year.

Sounds like us this year.

At times we've been like that, at other times we've failed to create chances.  In our last two games we've had enough chances to win both games.

Guest BooBoo

I think yesterday just summed up a lot of what has been typical of the "Mr Hyde" part of our season this year.

Inability to score a second goal.

Inability to hold on to a lead, certainly at home.

Allowing teams far too much space in our own half.

Border line decisions not falling our way.

Guest neesy111

Couple of stats from yesterday.

Lovenkrands had less touches of the ball than Shola.

Steven Taylor made one successful tackle.

Both not surprising.

:lol:

At least Lovenkrands and Taylor turn up to training earlier than the starting time.

Guest BooBoo

Not surprising, Lovenkrands was completely anonymous. His main hope of contributing to a match is hoping that something will fall to him in the six yard box.

Not surprising, Lovenkrands was completely anonymous. His main hope of contributing to a match is hoping that something will fall to him in the six yard box.

All the more difficult when instructed to play wide right.

All the more difficult when instructed to play wide right.

Yup. The manager fucked this one good and proper.

:lol:

At least Lovenkrands and Taylor turn up to training earlier than the starting time.

Ranger was injured wasn't he?  If that's what you're referring to?

I think yesterday just summed up a lot of what has been typical of the "Mr Hyde" part of our season this year.

Inability to score a second goal.

Inability to hold on to a lead, certainly at home.

Allowing teams far too much space in our own half.

Border line decisions not falling our way.

Yeah, absolutely. There's just been the odd fundamental error that has bugged us all season long; the ones you mentioned.

The defeat was completely deserved. I'm not excusing the manager cos i think he got it wrong on several counts yesterday, but we've got a few players who are - quite simply - essential. That's simply because the squad isn't strong or deep enough. We're overperforming and, tbh, i had got competely caught up in the possibility of Europe - but the current squad is never strong enough to get there. Pardew didn't have a lot to work with yesterday.

If either of our wingers are unavailable, that's Jonas and Barton, we're severely hindered. If either of our full-backs are unavailable, again, we suffer. And we all know that Best and Lovenkrands, as a partnership, is never good enough to compete for a Top 6 place. All of those positions were depleted yesterday.

We haven't learnt anything new from this game. There remains a massive amount of potential in a squad/manager that is, as it stands, good enough for mid-table. We knew that before and nothing's changed.

It's all about the summer. I'm tentatively and nervously awaiting it, cos it's the biggest transfer window we've had in years. Possibly our biggest transfer window since the whole ruling came into place. We've got money now. We either kick on by retaining 95% of the squad and adding to it, or we slip even further behind. It's as simple as that. It's entirely in our hands - we can challenge for the Top 6 next year, there's no doubt about it.

Yesterday's defeat is nothing to get down about, imo. The season's gone but nothing's changed.