The worst players in recent club history

Ishmael

Luque was class v Man United before his injury. Should have scored after flicking the ball over Ferdinand.

Then against Fulham, Souness farmed him out on the wing to preserve f***ing Shearer's place in the team. Sound familiar?

"f***ing" Shearer's place in the team? Had he not earned that place? Luque wasn't class at all either, he was average and very quickly turned to utter dog s*** after his return from injury. A disastrous signing.

In which games was he average? :lol:

Guest Chubby Jason

He is the best NUFC player I've ever seen and even in his later years still scored goals, to advocate (even retrospectively) playing Albert Luque instead of him is criminal.

I think the problem was that we had people at the club who still expected Shearer to do it all when clearly he needed others to get their own share of the goals by that point. shearer's return was excellent for someone of his age who had intended to retire the season before.

Though he was clearly well past his best it by then, Shearer still got 14 goals that year - 10 in the Premier League. Off the back of three major injuries too.

He got 7 PL goals from open play despite starting all season. Leon Best will easily better that despite not playing till January.

Guest Chubby Jason

He is the best NUFC player I've ever seen and even in his later years still scored goals, to advocate (even retrospectively) playing Albert Luque instead of him is criminal.

Then why did you pay €14m for him? :dontknow:

I didn't big Freddy did, you'd have to ask him.

Guest BooBoo

Though he was clearly well past his best it by then, Shearer still got 14 goals that year - 10 in the Premier League. Off the back of three major injuries too.

He got 7 PL goals from open play despite starting all season. Leon Best will easily better that despite not playing till January.

In fairness though Best isn't 35+ and playing after a boatload of serious and hampering injuries.

Your view of the Shearer who played in that season is clouded by his past glories and your view of Luque is based upon events that had yet to unfold. 

In fairness though Best isn't 35+ and playing after a boatload of serious and hampering injuries.

That is irrelevant.

How the hell is that even relevant? Don't answer - it isn't. And the penalties argument is something i've heard from a Mackems and Smoggies - so don't stoop to that level. It's just as stupid as your second sentence.

Shearer should have been replaced as soon as Sir Bobby was - i can't deny that. But that wasn't his fault and he just got on with it. Compare him to some of the some of the turgid shite since... he scored more goals in that year than any one of Owen, Martins and Viduka, Sibierski the following years - and more than Shola, Lovenkrands and Best (there's a reason he didn't play till January) this year. So to even bring him into this circle of debate is a fucking joke, even in his last season.

Guest BooBoo

That is irrelevant.

No its not. A comparison is being made between two strikers, why should the circumstances be dismissed as irrelevant?

That is irrelevant.

No its not. A comparison is being made between two strikers, why should the circumstances be dismissed as irrelevant?

Irrelevant to the main argument.

That is irrelevant.

It isn't irrelevant in the slightest. I initially challenged Shearer's mention in this thread because someone said they "despised seeing him on the pitch" in that year. Which is just over-the-top bollocks.

Guest Chubby Jason

I was referring to his game against Man United when someone referred to him as "class". He looked OK rather than anything special and soon went to utter shit, does that answer your question? I'm struggling to see what's so amusing about that to be honest.

Guest BooBoo

That is irrelevant.

Irrelevant to the main argument.

What main arguement?

Drogba and Torres have only got nine this season, Rooney only seven (with god knows how many in open play).  Picking a Leon Best purple patch doesn't really prove a point.

It proves that Shearer's place in the team shouldn't have been anywhere near as secure as it was.

In 04-05, he managed 4 from open play in an entire PL season. He was done and shouldn't have been in the first Xl unless it was unavoidable.

That is irrelevant.

It isn't irrelevant in the slightest. I initially challenged Shearer's mention in this thread because someone said they "despised seeing him on the pitch" in that year. Which is just over-the-top bollocks.

To you maybe, but so what?  Can you not accept the reasoning behind the opinion?

I genuinely despised seeing the slow and aged Shearer crawling around the pitch that season.

Slightly tarnished my respect for him, which has since been further blotted by more recent activity.

I've yet to see genuine reasoning for this heap of jizz, so no. :thup:

I was referring to his game against Man United when someone referred to him as "class". He looked OK rather than anything special and soon went to utter s***, does that answer your question? I'm struggling to see what's so amusing about that to be honest.

So how is looking average against Man U in his first PL game even approaching relevant?