Our recent transfers

Guest BooBoo

Guest BooBoo

Since last summer:

Perch- Bought for pennies, now looks a long way from the first XI due to his mediocrity.

Campell- Fat waster who took an enternity to get fit. Now looks way way past his best and has been limited to a handful of games.

Ben Arfa- Three non 90 minute appearances, broken leg. Out for the season.

Gosling- Played two minutes all season.

Ireland- Yet to play. At most he will get half a dozen games in this season.

Sorry if this is NWOAT but the above is little short of ridiculous. I realise a lot of it is down to bad luck (certainly regarding HBA) but essentially a lot of this season has been our Championship team + Tiote. I look forward to the day where we can sign players who actually bring something to the team, instead of just to the physio room.

Guest BooBoo

Bit harsh on Ben Arfa, agree on the whole though.

I'm not blaming him, its just we've had some shocking luck with our recent purchases. Although Gosling and Ireland were brought in when already injured so the club got exactly what it deserved with those two.

With Sol, I was hoping he would be a signing along the lines of when Merson and Sheringham at Pompey- ie a golden oldie having one last hurrah before retirment. This being NUFC, he's turned out to be a complete waste of everyone's time. Again though, we bought him when he was ludicrously unfit so we got we deserved.

The last three strikers we've paid a fee for are Leon Best, Xisco and Obafemi Martins.

Our policy in the summer was to be expected, there was never any indication it would be anything other than a cheapo supplement to last season's squad. Policy is coming home to roost nicely now.

Guest BooBoo

Cheick Tioté?

As I (kind of) mentioned in my opening post, Tiote is the exception in that he's the only player we've recently bought who actually plays on a regular basis and even he's now racked up 6 missed games via suspensions.

Guest BooBoo

Casually missing Tiote off :lol:

I think we've done a decent job with the players we've brought in.  The overriding issue is the players we didn't bring in during the January transfer window.

FFS, read the opening post.

I think we've done a decent job with the players we've brought in over the last couple of seasons.  The overriding issue is the players we didn't bring in during the January transfer window.

We needed a striker in the summer and we needed a striker in January. I cannot see how anyone thinks we've done a good job in that department as we've arguably been light since the summer of 2009.

Cheick Tioté?

As I (kind of) mentioned in my opening post, Tiote is the exception in that he's the only player we've recently bought who actually plays on a regular basis and even he's now racked up 6 missed games via suspensions.

Jury's still out regarding Gosling and Ben Arfa, and Ireland is just a loan. Pending this, that's an okay record coupled with Tioté's success. Probably needed another striker, though.

Guest BooBoo

Cheick Tioté?

Jury's still out regarding Gosling and Ben Arfa, and Ireland is just a loan. Pending this, that's an okay record coupled with Tioté's success.

The players themselves arent a bad bunch at all, its just that for a combination of reasons only Tiote has made any sort of real contribution. Considering how we've had our fingers burned, I would suggest the club adopt a policy of not buying players who are carrying medium to long term injuries. It's just asking for trouble.

I think we've done a decent job with the players we've brought in over the last couple of seasons.  The overriding issue is the players we didn't bring in during the January transfer window.

We needed a striker in the summer and we needed a striker in January. I cannot see how anyone thinks we've done a good job in that department as we've arguably been light since the summer of 2009.

We were overloaded with attacking options at the start of the season, however inadequate people may have thought they were at the time. 

Still there was no real panic up until the point we sold Carroll and didn't replace him suitably.

I knew we wouldn't be getting much of Gosling this season and anyone expecting otherwise would be mistaken. I'm sure Hughton had the future in mind when he signed him, not just this season.

We already had Colo, Williamson and Taylor, we'd just been promoted, Campbell has been a sufficient fourth choice for a promoted side.

Perch is dogshite but Hughton and Calderwood had been tracking him for months.

Ben Arfa is pure bad luck but shows why we should put our hopes into the team and not individuals.

Ireland signed after other deals like Larsson didn't materialise. Was a difficult window for making signings and perhaps we panicked.

This so called Championship squad has defied people this season and it is only an injury crisis now crippling us. This is to be expected for a promoted team and while we are in a bad run we will turn it around. The next job is to make some balanced signings in the summer and to develop better squad depth.

I disagree, although the club clearly took a view on quantity over quality.

We started the season without a single proven PL-quality striker. Just so happens Carroll showed what he's really capable of.

Guest BooBoo

If I remember rightly when we signed Gosling, the talk was that he would be back to fitness in November, not be out for the entire frigging season (although I do realise he's picked up a secondary injury since).

We wouldn't have signed Gosling if it weren't for his contractual situation at Everton. We sniffed a steal and moved in. His role in the squad didn't really come into it.

If I remember rightly when we signed Gosling, the talk was that he would be back to fitness in November, not be out for the entire frigging season (although I do realise he's picked up a secondary injury since).

I said we'd struggle to get him fit and in form this season and would have to sign someone else and got shot down for it. Look who turned out right unfortunately for us.

At least Tiote turned out to be the someone else and Barton and Nolan have done enough to keep their places too. Would have been nice to have gosling as backup to those two, but there is always next season, which was when I hoped to see the real Dan Gosling.

The investment in the squad, and the pattern in which it's 'evolved' (or not), is an absolute joke - there's no doubt about it. The only thing you can say about it is, thank Christ Tiote actually worked. We'd have been up shit creak had he not been up to it.

The second half of the season has largely consisted of starting line-ups that wouldn't even have been first choice last year (+ Cheick). Us tailing off was an inevitabilty, though the decline really is unnerving. We said after the Birmingham game that it'd take an absolute catastrophe for us to go down, and our form does pretty much represent that so far. We've really got to be very, very careful - it'd be just terrible if we were to enter the relegation zone before the season's out. It'd be a travesty because the potential this squad has, with £35million-worth of investment, is massive. I still believe that.

Guest BooBoo

The investment in the squad, and the pattern in which it's 'evolved' (or not), is an absolute joke - there's no doubt about it. The only thing you can say about it is, thank Christ Tiote actually worked. We'd have been up shit creak had he not been up to it.

The second half of the season has largely consisted of starting line-ups that wouldn't even have been first choice last year (+ Cheick). Us tailing off was an inevitabilty, though the decline really is unnerving. We said after the Birmingham game that it'd take an absolute catastrophe for us to go down, and our form does pretty much represent that so far. We've really got to be very, very careful - it'd be just terrible if we were to enter the relegation zone before the season's out. It'd be a travesty because the potential this squad has, with £35million-worth of investment, is massive. I still believe that.

I've said it a few times but that's only because its so fucking outrageous, but our side that lines up v Wolves will almost certainly be weaker than the "Championship side" despite the passing of 2 transfer windows.