Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

People still won't have seen anywhere near as much of Maradona as Messi.  I mean - not even close.

Remember watching him play for Napoli on BSkyB when they had Italian football before C4 had it.

Trying not to come across as an arse (genuinely not the intention), but how many games do you think you saw and (if you don't mind me asking) how old were you?

People still won't have seen anywhere near as much of Maradona as Messi.  I mean - not even close.  So I not 100% convinced that people are as well informed on Maradona and/or Pele as they might think.

Is Beckenbauer and Cruyff informed enough to make that decision? Because none of them think of Messi ahead of Maradona or Pele.

People still won't have seen anywhere near as much of Maradona as Messi.  I mean - not even close.  So I not 100% convinced that people are as well informed on Maradona and/or Pele as they might think.

Is Beckenbauer and Cruyff informed enough to make that decision? Because none of them think of Messi ahead of Maradona or Pele.

I suspect better placed than us!  But you would definitely have to factor in the potential for bias for players of that generation to venerate players around in their era.

I have to say that I do find it odd that in nearly every other sport, performers have generally improved - but football appears to be different.  There's absolutely no reason why this should be the case.

People still won't have seen anywhere near as much of Maradona as Messi.  I mean - not even close.

Remember watching him play for Napoli on BSkyB when they had Italian football before C4 had it.

Trying not to come across as an arse (genuinely not the intention), but how many games do you think you saw and (if you don't mind me asking) how old were you?

Maybe 15 over 2 years and I'd have been 21 or 22.

They are both pretty mental to be fair

Maybe 15 over 2 years and I'd have been 21 or 22.

Cool.

Think in terms of the history of football nobody talks more sense than Cruyff.

Ya just looked up some quotes of his, he is a genius really in terms of football. Beckenbauer is mental though

And noone talks less than triggs.

:lol: if you go back over every opinion I gave here over the course of the world cup, I'd say at least 90% were correct

Ya just looked up some quotes of his, he is a genius really in terms of football. Beckenbauer is mental though

How exactly is Beckenbauer mental man?

:lol: if you go back over every opinion I gave here over the course of the world cup, I'd say at least 90% were correct

Your maths seems to be worse than your football bantz.

How exactly is Beckenbauer mental man?

Denying slavery in Qatar despite shit loads of evidence to the contrary, maybe not mental but definitely a cunt

Your maths seems to worse than your football bantz.

Name 5 opinions I gave over the world cup that were wrong and I'll let it go

I seriously try and avoid your posts since your Samaras outburst tbh. Im not going to dredge them now.

I seriously try and avoid your posts since your Samaras outburst tbh. Im not going to dredge them now.

Samaras outburst :lol: I said he wasn't shit, fucking massive outburst like :lol: fucking hell man :lol:

Samaras outburst :lol: I said he wasn't shit, fucking massive outburst like :lol: fucking hell man :lol:

That was enough when he clearly is shit.

That was enough when he clearly is shit.

He clearly isn't if you actually watch him play but I'm not getting into this argument again

Mess is the better dribbler and obviously scores tons more goals, but Zidane was more elegant, had better ball control (perhaps not while dribbling) and could just dominate the other team by his mere presence. When Zidane plays, it's like a watching an orchestra and everything is in slow mo. Messi moves faster at top speed, but I don't find it elegant it's almost like a roach running around (I don't mean that in a derogatory way). But once Messi's speed diminishes, he will be less effective. Even now, I suspect Zidane will still have the same ball control because his is based on body strength and precision. Close call but Zidane for me.  By the way, in case it hasn't been said, now way does Messi deserve the Golden Ball. Should have gone to either Robben or one of several German players

Guest firetotheworks

Messi will be more like Xavi when he slows down imo. His passing and vision even now are on that level, he just has less need to use it. Zidane is really nothing better than Messi imo, I totally get him being more enjoyable to watch in terms of his style but Messi has done things I thought were impossible, whereas Zidane has done wonderful and difficult things and made it look graceful.