Keegan: Managing England is soulless and I'd tell Harry not to do it

Tooj

Keegan is the main reason I love football, everything about this man is spot on; his principles, the way he gets teams playing but more than anything else, his honesty which comes before anything else. Keegan just doesn't seem to be able to lie, either to himself or the fans. I, like many others, still think he could manage at the highest level and be a great success but it's whether his terms will be met and that's not something I can see happening.

Whenever I listen to any footage of him or Bobby it always hits me emotionally because you couldn't find two people who care more about the others around them. I'll always trust what Keegan has to say over almost anyone else because of his conviction and I hope that in spite of his evident bitterness he is able to look at Newcastle United and still feel like it's a part of himself.

One final note. These days I find that almost anyone I talk to thinks of Keegan as a joker who didn't know how to manage a team tactically and was a quitter but while I think he walked too easily at times, few people credit him like he deserves. If you want to discredit his performances at club level by telling me he had more investment than most managers then that's a completely invalid argument because most managers wouldn't be able to get a chairman to back them like he did. It's not just about the fact he was one of the most positive, heartfelt guys around, it was the fact that he injected that into everyone he met in the same way Bobby did. There's so few managers who can pull that off and I don't see where the next one's coming from for NUFC

:clap:

Guest BooBoo

Still think one of my favourite NUFC based quotes was prior to the Leicester game where we still in danger of going down to Division 3.

"We still need to go to Filbert Street and get a result if the club is to survive. But we'll do that. And then we'll take off"- Keegan, May 1992.

Guest Howaythetoon

Keegan is the main reason I love football, everything about this man is spot on; his principles, the way he gets teams playing but more than anything else, his honesty which comes before anything else. Keegan just doesn't seem to be able to lie, either to himself or the fans. I, like many others, still think he could manage at the highest level and be a great success but it's whether his terms will be met and that's not something I can see happening.

Whenever I listen to any footage of him or Bobby it always hits me emotionally because you couldn't find two people who care more about the others around them. I'll always trust what Keegan has to say over almost anyone else because of his conviction and I hope that in spite of his evident bitterness he is able to look at Newcastle United and still feel like it's a part of himself.

One final note. These days I find that almost anyone I talk to thinks of Keegan as a joker who didn't know how to manage a team tactically and was a quitter but while I think he walked too easily at times, few people credit him like he deserves. If you want to discredit his performances at club level by telling me he had more investment than most managers then that's a completely invalid argument because most managers wouldn't be able to get a chairman to back them like he did. It's not just about the fact he was one of the most positive, heartfelt guys around, it was the fact that he injected that into everyone he met in the same way Bobby did. There's so few managers who can pull that off and I don't see where the next one's coming from for NUFC

My thoughts too.

I also find it sad how many view KK in bad light these days, especially Toon fans.

Its a myth that KK is a serial quitter. When he first 'quit' NUFC it was basically calling Sir John Hall's bluff and it worked. If he hadn't have done that god knows where we'd be now as a club. That act of showman if you like probably saved NUFC and demonstrated to Sir John Hall that he meant business and cared deeply about the club.

Something Sir John Hall admitted he didn't quite feel at the time he first met KK. When he did finally quit it was actually an ultimatum from the club. Sign a new deal or go now. KK wanted to go at the end of the season and wanted to give the club good notice so as to find a replacement just as he did when he told Liverpool 6 months in advance he intended to leave and likewise Southhampton and Newcastle when as a player.

At Man City he gave them 5 years just as he gave Newcastle. He again gave his club due notice informing them of his intentions to leave at the end of the season only news leaked and it was considered by the then Man City board best if he left before the end of the season which he dully obliged.

At Fulham he was head hunted by the FA and didn't really want the England job. He agreed to take over on a caretaker basis while still at Fulham but fans singing his name and the demands of the media that he take the job he was "destined" for and of course his own ego and passion for all things England led him to the job full-time. Still he didn't quit Fulham.

He did quit England but he did so aknowledging he wasn't up to it. He put the national side ahead of his own self.

Second time round at Newcastle he didn't quit as such but was forced out as proved in a court of law. Knowing KK like we all do (or should do) it is actually amazing he lasted so long. Perhaps the tag of being a quitter made him put up with the crap he did for far longer than a man of his honesty, integrity and intelligence should.

Regardless, the tag of serial quitter or bottler is bolocks to be frank. Its the opinion of the ill-informed, unintelligent, media fed numpties. Those who know KK well which should be the vast majority of Toon fans new and old, should know, the man is anything but a quitter or a bottler.

It took bollocks, huge bollocks to leave sunny Spain to take over a rabble of a club on the way down and possibly out as your first ever job in management just as it took balls to amit live to a world audience you're not up to a job and therefore rather than take a pay cheque and cling on, resign and leave it to a better man. I say better man, the man that replaced him couldn't hold a candle to KK as a man.

It also took bottle and balls to leave the top-flight and join a rabble of a second division outfit and with it jepodising his place in the England team and the chance to play for Man Utd.

Many a man would have actually walked away from Newcastle United never mind threating to during the 5 years he was at the club as manager, 5 years he fought and fought often as a one man band to drag what was a sorry arsed club going f***ing nowhere to within a fanny's hair of winning its first Championship since 1927 in a fashion that had us the talk of the world game and where every other fan had Newcastle as their second fave team.

Wor Jackie got a statue. Sir John Hall a stand. Shearer a bar. KK? He did more for this club than them all. Every brick in that stadium of ours should bear his initials because without KK it wouldn't f***ing exist.

I don't think KK is a quitter as such, but I do think he is a perfectionist or idealist and other people would work through situations that he walks away from.

Whether that's a good or bad thing I don't really know, obviously it's great to have principles but at the same time you can't expect everything to be perfect in a dirty business like football.

Guest Howaythetoon

Still think one of my favourite NUFC based quotes was prior to the Leicester game where we still in danger of going down to Division 3.

"We still need to go to Filbert Street and get a result if the club is to survive. But we'll do that. And then we'll take off"- Keegan, May 1992.

12 months later when asked what our aims would be in the top-flight?

"Watch out Fergie, we're after your title"

Newcastle as a club and Geordies as fans don't need this mid-table or balance the books nonsense we need fantasy, we need ambition, we need to believe and KK gave us that.

Why can NUFC not challenge for the title and sign the best players and play great football? There is no excuse really.

Guest Howaythetoon

Logic is a pretty decent excuse, like.

At current aye but as a club we really should be challenging for not only the better players but also trophies. We actually don't do too bad with the player part of it, its the challenging we fuck up.

If I was owner of NUFC I'd look at the history of the club and football in general and employ a good manager and back that manager with enough money to sign good players and eventually success will come. It did under KK and Sir Bobby, not in terms of silverware but relative success all the same and given more time and more money both would have ended that trophy drought.

That's all this club needs, a decent manager we can all get behind, fans and board and to back that manager in a way that we as a club can and should. We shouldn't be signing the likes of fucking Kuki man.

Keegan was my first football hero. Tho my dad was taking me to matches 10 years before he came- and loved Supermac- I always saw him as my dads hero- Keegan was mine- my turn - my era.

My first Hero in Football.

last ,maybe ever?Sir Bobby Robson.

Guest bimpy474

There is something i dont get about KK's second stint as our manager, i saw and still see comments in the media, written and TV about how disastrous his second spell was, failure, stupid, etc.

When he first came back he had Arsenal away twice among some horrible games with a team low on confidence, lacking pace and creativity, but slowly he turned it around and without doubt kept us up, Fat Sam's football was the worst i've ever seen, i remember Fulham away as game that summed Fat Sam up, although we won it was the worst game i'd ever seen in the premiership, but no doubt Fat head went home happy......i went home thinking god what the hell was the crap i just watched.

Then came Tottenham away a few months in to KK's second coming, i was there and it was brilliant counter attacking passing football, KK working his magic  :clap:.  I went home that day thinking the Newcastle i love is beginning to reappear, season ended ok and i was looking forward to the summer and some decent players coming in. Some did come in, Jonas, Guthrie, Colo, the fixtures are released for the new season, Man Utd away again, bloody typical i thought, yet we were brilliant on the day, a Man Utd midfield of Fletcher, Scholes, Giggs and Carrick, yet we kept the ball away from them well with Butt, Guthrie, Jonas (who was outstanding on the day) and Milner.

My point is if you take away the Wise, the selling and buying of players without KK's knowledge much commented on fiasco, KK was right to walk away but that aside, he second spell wasn't a disaster at all for me, the football was becoming good and if he had been given the money Fat Sam wasted and with a decent chairman in place, i reckon he might have still been here and we would have been in the top 8 year after year.

Now i dont like how KK comments on us sometimes, you can hardly blame him but when commentators and so called football experts judge him on the ending of his second spell and not the whole of it, i wonder how the hell they can call themselves pundits, Journo's and football experts, ignorant, arrogant and downright liars is how i would describe them and thats being generous. 

Guest BooBoo

In KK's second (technically third) spell at the club, we blew two gimmes when we failed to beat Bolton and Boro at home. We then seemed to have a horrendously tough run and only when we started to play the poorer sides did we get results. I think to an extent our 4-1 at Spurs was overly romanticised as it was a Spurs side who'd won a cup and were quite obviously not on their game. It was certainly a step up from the drab days of Fat Sam but we still looked a fragile side who had a good run against mediocre sides.

The infamous relegation season started brightly, I was particularly impressed with our football at Coventry as we looked a really confident outfit and it was ludicrous that they took us to extra time. Typically of this club the good feeling that had been generated by the Man Utd game and the cup win was tempered by Milner's transfer request which was the first indication of dissatisfaction in the camp. Who knows what would have happened had KK stayed, maybe mid table with the squad we had.

Guest bimpy474

Must say, it always makes me laugh when folk say Keegan turned it around 07-08. Both Allardyce and Keegan struggled with a poor squad.

Allardyce was the reason for that poor squad, his struggles were his own fault, Smith, Rozehnal, Geremi to name a few of his poor signing's,  KK inherited that squad and was turning that poor team around for me.

Allardyce make some terrible signings and some good ones. Faye, Enrique, Beye and Barton to be precise.

Allardyce didn't really have any say in the Enrique signing.

Guest BooBoo

Allardyce make some terrible signings and some good ones. Faye, Enrique, Beye and Barton to be precise.

Allardyce didn't really have any say in the Enrique signing.

The Jowly Twat loves to beg to differ on that one.

Guest bimpy474

Beye was good and his best signing on form while Sam was here, Barton has only been good for other managers, same with Enrique who Fat Sam wouldn't play as Jose himself said, he felt Sam didn't have faith in him, As for Faye i thought he was poor for us.  

Guest bimpy474

Don't be ridiculous.

Really ? just my opinions sir  ;D  Barton got into his punch up not long after Sam signed him so that went well, Jose didn't play much under him, Beye was a excellent signing actually despite the way he left, and like i say i just thought Faye wasn't that good.

Guest BooBoo

I won't lie, i was in love with Habib Beye for a bit while he was here.

From December 07-May 08 he was superb.

Even Beye seemed to decline rapidly after his first season.

I wouldn't say he declined rapidly at all.

He was clearly never fully fit in his second season.

Also, when he played in the centre for a couple of games he was superb.