How good would we actually be if we got Gervinho/gameiro/Nzogbia - All of them?

Guest Flatline

We were about 2 mins from the top half THIS season.  Fair enough we had Carroll for half a season but we were also without Ben Arfa most of the season.

Let's not kid ourselves, we took advantage of a topsy-turvy league. Can't see things being as tight and easy next season.

I don't think it was as topsy turvy as some have said.  Look at the final table and not many look out of place.

Guest palnese

Top half. Our bench is not good enough for Europe.

Gutierrez, Williamson, Best, Ferguson, Raylor, Kadar, Harper

Looks like a strong bench to me

It's not good enough. Liverpool and Spurs are both stronger, especially Spurs, and they will compete for 5th and 6th place next year.

We may be able to finish 7th, with a bit of luck, but I doubt we'll finish any higher.

Jonas, Williamson and Best were first-team players, Harper is an experienced Premier League keeper. Raylor is the only shit one, and Kadar is improving.

A club in our position couldn't expect to have a better bench than that TBH. We've also got the likes of Ranger and Lua Lua to add something extra if needed.

And Sammy!

I might be the only guy here on N-O to reckon that Barton is replacable. He has a good right foot and a nice court vision, but lacks pace and strength... I`d love it if he stayed but hardly losing any sleep over it..

What the?

Every player lacks something, it's a bit pointless to criticise Joey for not being lightening quick. Unless we're going to sign the complete midfielder to replace him, or our style of play is going to change to value pace more, he's good for us.

Barton doesn't need pace, his game isn't based around taking players on and crossing from the byline, he drops back (or forwards) into space and offers another option, and he has the ability to put a decent ball in when its on, or pick out a player in a better position if it's not. He offers a lot defensively aswel and is probably our best player at closing down from the front. I've just never understood that criticism of him at all tbh.

Guest Flatline

agreed. To add to that, his lack of pace and physics gets him into tight spots, at least when he is playing CM.

Thats partly why he is better off when he is playing on the right. The other part being his right foot. But then again if you move him on the right, you have to be allowed to point at his lack of pace. You could call him a poor mans beckham I guess.

Barton contributes nothing defensively? Thats bollocks like, you don't have to be clearing balls out of the 6 yard box, and intercepting goalbound dhots to help out defensively, like. He hastles opponents and gets stuck in, you cannot realy ask for more from an apparent winger tbh.

And his technique helps him get out of tight spots, he's got a great touch, never once have I though "If Barton wasn't so slow & weak he wouldn;t have lost the ball there"

I might be the only guy here on N-O to reckon that Barton is replacable. He has a good right foot and a nice court vision, but lacks pace and strength... I`d love it if he stayed but hardly losing any sleep over it..

You're not the only guy. He's had a decent season but not brilliant, in my opinion. I honestly think he's of more value to us in the dressing room than on the field, particularly if Cabaye ( or whoever) can hit the ground running and deliver decent / consistant free kicks.

Eh? You often see him closing people down, pressuring them and winning the ball back.

I've seen him do that 3 times this season. One of the reason's both Hughton and Pardew put him out wide is his complete lack of strength and ability to keep the ball in tight situations.

He's pretty crap at winning the ball back.

Guest axel

Eh? You often see him closing people down, pressuring them and winning the ball back.

I've seen him do that 3 times this season. One of the reason's both Hughton and Pardew put him out wide is his complete lack of strength and ability to keep the ball in tight situations.

He's pretty crap at winning the ball back.

If that makes you feel better about him leaving, sure. In reality, no.

If we manage to pull off a few of theese incredible signings quite soon it would probably give us leverage and we might be perceived as a more attractive club for other players. Getting som great bosmans in at the end of the summer.

The though of us getting all 3, let's just nip that one in the bud ?

:lol:

can we get a smilie of someone nipping a bud?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwTxV7Qo93feIXULVwlw13OUtCLdodnL_B72mRJG4Wf1-ss49xnA