Current line up...

madras

Krul

Simpson Saylor Colo Santon

Cabaye Tiote

Marveaux   Barfa    Jonas

Ba

Elliott, Williamson, Raylor, Gosling, Best, Obertan, Shola.

Obertan's not good enough to be starting for us. Marveaux is a different matter, but it means either him or Jonas will have to be out of position, no guarantee at all that they can perform in that position. in fact Jonas can be pretty shit out there. Same goes for Santon at full back. I think we're stronger at left midfield now, with Marveaux challenging Jonas. it's the one undimmed positive i can think of.

we're weaker at RM - Barton out and an odd development player who we shouldnt have purchased in.

we're weaker at LB - Enrique out and an out of position young lad with confidence and form issues and no experience of the Premiership in.

we're weaker up front - Carroll out and Ba in.

we're weaker at centre-half - Campell out and no-one in.

I think we're better off in central midfield with Nolan out and Cabaye in, as the latter has more influence over the general pattern of the game. But this switch has came at the cost of losing leadership and end product, two commodities difficult to replace, especially in a side desperate to replace its best striker.

Yet people will overlook this because we have a decent team. But we had a decent team last year, too.

The point of receiving £35m was to change that, to dramatically improve our side. we didnt do that. we spent 1% of the money. We farted around with stupid bids, always conveniently offering just a couple million beneath the asking price each time, trying to do business with two hours left when a player had already agreed to go elsewhere, letting good targets slip through our fingers. On top of that we let some influential players leave, so despite getting in a couple of good players, we're at best offering a marginal improvement, most likely standing still, and if certain players dont adapt, actually regressing. it's just unbelievable, at least, it would be if we didnt have extraordinarily unprofessional people in charge of this club.

we were told this was the summer to really, finally judge Ashley (despite the fact the time to judge him had passed years ago). Now the verdict is in people are trying to shy away from this. why do the goalposts keep changing to benefit mike ashley? When is the time to really judge him?

Guest sydneycove

Do you want to be miserable.

I would prefer nobody to Campbell, Enrique was always eventually going to move on and Santon is probably better than Enrique was when we signed him. You say Cabaye is better then go and try and make an excuse to say he isn't. Carroll has had half a good Epl season same as Demba Ba except Ba comes with the added bonus of not bashing his missus.

This would be my strongest lineup when everyone's fit:

Krul

Simpson   Colo   Taylor   Santon

Obertan    Cabaye    Tiote   Jonas / Marveaux

Ben Arfa

Ba/Best

I know I have my optimistic hat on at the minute, but I don't see many starting lineups outside the Top 6 that could better that.

Agree to a point. I do like the potential of our team & results so far have backed that up a bit.

Ive seen people shove Ben Arfa off a front man for ages also, do either Best/Ba look like the kind of players he'd succeed with there though?

He wont be able to just do it all by himself, he'll need a mobile front man to pick up on through balls, make intelligent runs, pull the defence away from him, someone with great awareness & who can pick out his runs with passes also.

Im not sure any of our strikers match that really? Thats what i wanted in a new striker tbh. Maybe Ba will come closest.

I would prefer nobody to Campbell, Enrique was always eventually going to move on and Santon is probably better than Enrique was when we signed him. You say Cabaye is better then go and try and make an excuse to say he isn't. Carroll has had half a good Epl season same as Demba Ba except Ba comes with the added bonus of not bashing his missus.

You may have misunderstand the nature of reality, but the choice is not between Campbell or nobody.

It's between getting in a new backup for that position and getting in nobody. As Campbell was leaving the club, he actually, and this is the reality bit so pay attention, he actually was not an option.

We knew he was leaving in advance so a new centre-half should've been on the cards.

Judging by bids for Ridgewell and a move for Situ it seems even the club agreed. It's not the most important transfer we had to make, and i'm not particularly bothered, i'm sure we'll cope, but it is just another little thing to add to the mountain of little things we have against Mike Ashley.

As for saying Cabaye is better than Nolan and then "having an excuse" as to why he isn't. How is that an "excuse" - it's an exaplantion that we've traded up but it has came with some downsides too, downsides that it seems have not been fully compensated for in our dealings for the rest of the squad. Should be fairly simple to understand.

Guest sydneycove

You may have misunderstand the nature of reality, but the choice is not between Campbell or nobody.

It's between getting in a new backup for that position and getting in nobody. As Campbell was leaving the club, he actually, and this is the reality bit so pay attention, he actually was not an option.

We knew he was leaving in advance so a new centre-half should've been on the cards.

Judging by bids for Ridgewell and a move for Situ it seems even the club agreed. It's not the most important transfer we had to make, and i'm not particularly bothered, i'm sure we'll cope, but it is just another little thing to add to the mountain of little things we have against Mike Ashley.

As for saying Cabaye is better than Nolan and then "having an excuse" as to why he isn't. How is that an "excuse" - it's an exaplantion that we've traded up but it has came with some downsides too, downsides that it seems have not been fully compensated for in our dealings for the rest of the squad. Should be fairly simple to understand.

Campbell wasn't an option as a 4th CB. Did you conviniently miss him "play" for us? We have Colo and Taylor as our number 1 pairing, Williamson as cover if things get desperat Santon is more than capable as playing as a CB and Ryan Taylor can can cover RB and LB as well as Fergusson being able to cover LB. Another CB would be nice but it isn't really needed.

Cabaye is a complete trade up in all skill areas add to that he isn't reaching the end of his footballing career, didn't try to extort the club and hasn't gone around insulting the club and your leadership qualities argument looks as frail as Geremi's knees.

Guest sydneycove

Can people stop f***ing saying that Santon is more than capable at CB! Please.

Fairly sure if Mourinho deems him good enough to play at CB then his good enough for us.

Fairly sure if Mourinho deems him good enough to play at CB then his good enough for us.

Can you tell me how many games he has played at that position? Or even name one or two right out of your head? Cause i've seen quite many games with Inter during Mourinho (not all) but iv'e never seen him play CB. Have you seen him play well in that exact position?

Guest sydneycove

Can you tell me how many games he has played at that position? Or even name one or two right out of your head? Cause i've seen quite many games with Inter during Mourinho (not all) but iv'e never seen him play CB. Have you seen him play well in that exact position?

vs Atlanta in 05 is the only one off the top of my head. Finished 4-3 of 5-4 to Inter iirc.

There is also the interview where Mourinho compares him to Mario saying that Davide is the better player for a manager because he is more adaptable and flexible.

Guest sydneycove

We could of had just one CB available if Colo didn't have a rubber leg, and that would be Taylor, who's been injured quite a lot before, but hopefully he's more fit now (looking good so far)

Yeah and I could have won Sunday Millions if I didn't run pocket kings into pocket Aces

vs Atlanta in 05 is the only one off the top of my head. Finished 4-3 of 5-4 to Inter iirc.

There is also the interview where Mourinho compares him to Mario saying that Davide is the better player for a manager because he is more adaptable and flexible.

He played as a CB when being 14/15 years old? :)

We could of had just one CB available if Colo didn't have a rubber leg, and that would be Taylor, who's been injured quite a lot before, but hopefully he's more fit now (looking good so far)

Yeah and I could have won Sunday Millions if I didn't run pocket kings into pocket Aces

Nice move, there isn't anything i can come up with that is better than this post of yours.

Guest sydneycove

He played as a CB when being 14/15 years old? :)

Replaced Figo would have been one of the last games of the season. Slotted in between Maicon and Samuel. 09.

Guest sydneycove

No matter what you say you're wrong, he's not more than capable at CB.

[/quote

Yes you are a much better judge of capability than Jose Mourinho how could I forget.

Krul

Simpson    Saylor      Coloccini    Santon

Marveaux    Tiote    Cabaye      Jonas

HBA

Ba

Play Obertan instead of HBA until he gets fit

Marveaux is easily capable at RW, obviously his preferred position is LW but these days wingers interchange anyway.