Current line up...

madras

Krul

Santon  Colo  Saylor  Ferguson

Tiote      Jonas

Sammy      Cabaye        Ben Arfa       

Demba

As Sewelly said, it's more than formations. but I'd like to see this though, with Sammy providing some unpredictability into the mixture. I've left Ferguson at LB because he's committed and is useful goign forward and more often than not I'd like to see us take the game to the opposition. Against certain teams, maybe Raylor may be more appropriate. They can both be exposed defensively, but with Jonas in a holding role, with less responsibility to come forward, I think he can be a neat DM, and either LB will manage.

Think it's really important we get Cabaye in the final third of the pitch, rather than trying to slide throughballs from behind the centre circle.

Rotate the Dembas to accommodate our busy schedule and keep them both fresh. Gotta give youth a chance IMO.

Forget the rest of the bollocks, I spout.

Ferguson. Staked his claim several times over.

Our wing roles are interesting at the moment. Ben Arfa can nail either and also a central role. Ferguson is great on the left against weaker teams when we're dominating (to be honest though, I think he's got the quality to look good against most teams, he's very natural.) Obertan can play on the left, I believe that. I really don't think he can on the right. Jonas is a great defensive midfielder but I think his time on the wing is close to being over, certainly if we are going to be more of a passing side. Marveaux has a top left foot and can play on either wing but hasn't managed to shine through yet, he has a lot of quality though.

Finally, I've liked what I've seen from Sammy a lot. I think he has huge potential but will really struggle to stake a claim above the others mentioned already. The wings are definitely the most sorted position in my opinion

---------------------------------------- Krul ----------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anita -------------------- Taylor ----------- Coloccini ------------------ Santon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------- Tiote ----------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------- Jonas -----------------------------

----------------------- Cabaye -----------------------------------------------------

--- Ben Arfa ------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------- Ba --------------------------- Cisse -------

I said in the Bordeaux match thread that Ferguson should start every game. Tbh, i was caught up in the excitement of what was another very promising performance from the lad; it probably is too soon for him to be starting games every week in the Premier League. Especially as part of a back four. However, i do want us to re-assess the backline, considering the emergence of Anita as a far more technically-gitfed full-back than Simpson. You could argue that Simpson is a better defender, however he is still positionally wayward too much of the time and what Anita lacks in defensive discipline, he makes up for in energy and ability going forward. Almost every time Simpson receives the ball in the final third, the attack either retreats or he plays a poor cross. It's tedious and predictable and whilst some criticism is over-the-top, i genuinely think he frequently holds the team back.

You can't go wrong with that midfield. Tiote's the anchor. Jonas keeps possession well and his excellent stamina means he's a constant option for our flair players whenever they're approaching a blind alley (plus he wins a lot of free-kicks, which i like, providing Willo isn't in the side). Also, in a more central position, we're not relying on him and his (typically) shoddy final ball. Then Cabaye in a more advanced role is a serious weapon.

4-3-3 is still the best way to go because we pass the ball more, and with more fluidity. Our offensive play does need a lot of work though. Once we have our backline settled again, with the return of Krul, Taylor and Coloccini - there's no reason why the coaching team can't turn its efforts to our attack. Even tonight, where we played well, the style going forward was often haphazard and opportunist - with players not always on the same page. There was no regimented forward progression; there hasn't been all season. That can be great in terms of 'unpredictability', but i'd still like to see some more coherent, planned build-up. At the moment it's slapdash and typically reliant on individual brilliance.

I still retain my faith in Pardew. We've had some stinking performances so far this season, but i honestly don't think you can really argue with the points tally. Reading and Villa is four points lost, sure, but how often do teams pick up every single three points they should do? Not even the Champions do that. The performances are more concerning than the results; and so long as we're still picking up the bare minimum expected, i'm more than happy to remain hopeful whilst our 'first choice line-up' is on the horizon.

Also, a tedious (though no less relevant) point to add... if we had more squad depth and more squad competition, we'd be doing better. Imo.

---------------------------------------- Krul ----------------------------------------

Anita -------------------- Taylor ----------- Coloccini ------------------ Santon

--------------------------------------- Tiote ----------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------- Jonas -----------------------------

----------------------- Cabaye -----------------------------------------------------

--- Ben Arfa ------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------- Ba --------------------------- Cisse -------

I said in the Bordeaux match thread that Ferguson should start every game. Tbh, i was caught up in the excitement of what was another very promising performance from the lad; it probably is too soon for him to be starting games every week in the Premier League. Especially as part of a back four. However, i do want us to re-assess the backline, considering the emergence of Anita as a far more technically-gitfed full-back than Simpson. You could argue that Simpson is a better defender, however he is still positionally wayward too much of the time and what Anita lacks in defensive discipline, he makes up for in energy and ability going forward. Almost every time Simpson receives the ball in the final third, the attack either retreats or he plays a poor cross. It's tedious and predictable and whilst some criticism is over-the-top, i genuinely think he frequently holds the team back.

You can't go wrong with that midfield. Tiote's the anchor. Jonas keeps possession well and his excellent stamina means he's a constant option for our flair players whenever they're approaching a blind alley (plus he wins a lot of free-kicks, which i like, providing Willo isn't in the side). Also, in a more central position, we're not relying on him and his (typically) shoddy final ball. Then Cabaye in a more advanced role is a serious weapon.

4-3-3 is still the best way to go because we pass the ball more, and with more fluidity. Our offensive play does need a lot of work though. Once we have our backline settled again, with the return of Krul, Taylor and Coloccini - there's no reason why the coaching team can't turn its efforts to our attack. Even tonight, where we played well, the style going forward was often haphazard and opportunist - with players not always on the same page. There was no regimented forward progression; there hasn't been all season. That can be great in terms of 'unpredictability', but i'd still like to see some more coherent, planned build-up. At the moment it's slapdash and typically reliant on individual brilliance.

I still retain my faith in Pardew. We've had some stinking performances so far this season, but i honestly don't think you can really argue with the points tally. Reading and Villa is four points lost, sure, but how often do teams pick up every single three points they should do? Not even the Champions do that. The performances are more concerning than the results; and so long as we're still picking up the bare minimum expected, i'm more than happy to remain hopeful whilst our 'first choice line-up' remains a rare sight.

Also, a tedious (though no less relevant) point to add... if we had more squad depth and more squad competition, we'd be doing better. Imo.

Simpson played some good football in the 2nd half and linked up really well with Anita.  We played a lot of nagative football at times as a team but we were cruising at 3-0.  We had the game won and we were controlling the game and it was exactly the right thing to do and I really enjoyed being able to relax.

Nah, i'm not really like that. Was absolutely ridiculous defending.

Simpson's general play in the final third is absolute shite, man. I'm sure there is the odd occasion, but i'm trying to think which attacking 'stats' of his haven't come from a poor cross turned in by a defender (Heitinga and Henrique), or a wayward cross that's looped straight in (Peterborough and Forest) Tbh i'd take those occasions every week, but i'd still rather see some genuinely decent offensive play from the guy.

i reaky like the trio of cabaye, tiote, anita, in midfield

really does give cabaye alot of license to roam and flex his creativity.

It does and having the extra man means we don't have holes in the middle when Cabaye is further forward and we lose the ball.

Nah, i'm not really like that. Was absolutely ridiculous defending.

Simpson's general play in the final third is absolute s****, man. I'm sure there is the odd occasion, but i'm trying to think which attacking 'stats' of his haven't come from a poor cross turned in by a defender (Heitinga and Henrique), or a wayward cross that's looped straight in (Peterborough and Forest) Tbh i'd take those occasions every week, but i'd still rather see some genuinely decent offensive play from the guy.

I'm not trying to make out that he's brilliant going forward, he's just not as bad as some make out, the same goes for his defending.  I thought that we looked as well balanced tonight as we have at any time this season and Simpson was a part of that.  I could also see a little understanding building up between Anita and Simpson as the match went on.

Getting more balance in the side is absolutely crucial; i'll certainly agree with that. It's one of the most important factors to why we've played so poorly at times; the total lop-sidedness and general imbalance of our team.

Fortunately, Anita's right-footed so we'll lose nowt from lynching Simpson in this regard. ;)

Plus, i generally wouldn't want to see Anita in the midfield at the expense of Jonas. Cos, as frustrating as he is (mainly on the wing, mind), he's an important player.

Getting more balance in the side is absolutely crucial; i'll certainly agree with that. It's one of the most important factors to why we've played so poorly at times; the total lop-sidedness and general imbalance of our team.

Fortunately, Anita's right-footed so we'll lose nowt from lynching Simpson in this regard. ;)

Plus, i generally wouldn't want to see Anita in the midfield at the expense of Jonas. Cos, as frustrating as he is (mainly on the wing, mind), he's an important player.

When we have our strongest 11 Simpson is our weakest player followed by Jonas.  Anita replacing one isn't a straight forward choice because he might bring more to the team in midfield than he would in defence.

:scared:

Harper

Anita      Taylor      Colo    Santon

Tiote      Jonas

HBA    Cabaye  Ferguson

Ba

Ba and Cisse to alternate

For those who think it's no big deal playing wide men on their wrong foot - what do you think about the fact that all 3 goals last night came from crosses from wide players rather than cutting inside which tends to happen when the player prefers to use his natural foot?

I have two clear formations if we have a fully fit team:

-----------Krul-----------

Simps--Tayls--Colo--Santon

HBA---Cabaye--Tiote--Fergie

--------Ba---Cisse-----  (**Ba plays a deeper role- helps midfield out more)

-----------Krul--------------

Simps--Sayls--Colo---Fergie

---Cabaye--Tiote---Jonas---

HBA-------Cisse-------Ba  (I would even try Santon at right back to give us the attacking width needed on right)

For those who think it's no big deal playing wide men on their wrong foot - what do you think about the fact that all 3 goals last night came from crosses from wide players rather than cutting inside which tends to happen when the player prefers to use his natural foot?

Exactly. We've got strikers who will convert average-to-good crosses, there's no doubt about that.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Would be curious to see Pardew getting all continental

Krul

Taylor Anita Colo

Santon                  Ferguson

Cabaye      Tiote

Ben Arfa

Cisse  Ba

Probably be a right clusterfuck, but would be interesting.

Would be curious to see Pardew getting all continental

Krul

Taylor Anita Colo

Santon                  Ferguson

Cabaye      Tiote

Ben Arfa

Cisse  Ba

Probably be a right clusterfuck, but would be interesting.

That could work actually.. Would never happen like.