Current line up...

madras

Jonas will start ahead of Marveaux against Arsenal, I think. Hopefully, it won't take long for the new signings to blend because we've got the making of a really decent side here.

That's pretty much a guarantee imo.

How can anyone say that Jonas should start ahead of Marveaux against Arsenal. Isn't preseason the pretty important to determine who starts and where?

I think people are thinking about the workrate that Jonas has and about the fact that he's defending a lot as well as he carries the ball forward.

Marveaux, from what I've heard so far, is more an out and out attacking midfielder that probably isn't that suited to make his PL debut against one of the best sides in the league.

How can anyone say that Jonas should start ahead of Marveaux against Arsenal. Isn't preseason the pretty important to determine who starts and where?

They haven't, have they? :undecided:

I think people are thinking about the workrate that Jonas has and about the fact that he's defending a lot as well as he carries the ball forward.

Marveaux, from what I've heard so far, is more an out and out attacking midfielder that probably isn't that suited to make his PL debut against one of the best sides in the league.

Agreed, say we were to play a mid-table/newly promoted team as the first game of the season, I would probably start Marveaux then. We shall see like.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd give this a bump after our pre-season friendlies, see if anyone's first XI has changed based on the outings we've seen.

Still haven't seen enough of Marveaux, or any of Cabaye for us, but Gosling, Tavernier and Vuckic have certainly impressed/progressed.

For once, I'd imagine there be a lot of discrepant opinions on the forum over what our first eleven should be - which is rather unusual as generally everyone is usually in agreement. Key issues:

1. 4-3-3/4-5-1 or 4-4-2

2. Taylocini or Willicini

3. Assuming Tiote, Cabaye and Ben Arfa are all starters - which, and how many, of Barton, Jonas and Marveaux ought to start?

4. Krul or FF or Harper

Thought I'd give this a bump after our pre-season friendlies, see if anyone's first XI has changed based on the outings we've seen.

Still haven't seen enough of Marveaux, or any of Cabaye for us, but Gosling, Tavernier and Vuckic have certainly impressed/progressed.

For once, I'd imagine there be a lot of discrepant opinions on the forum over what our first eleven should be - which is rather unusual as generally everyone is usually in agreement. Key issues:

1. 4-3-3/4-5-1 or 4-4-2

2. Taylocini or Willicini

3. Assuming Tiote, Cabaye and Ben Arfa are all starters - which, and how many, of Barton, Jonas and Marveaux ought to start?

4. Krul or FF or Harper

4-4-2 if we buy a new forward if not 4-4-1-1

Willicini

Barton & Jonas

Krul

1st team

Krul

Simo      Willo        Colo        Jose

Cabaye    Tiote

Barton              HBA              Jonas/Marv

???           

Ba

Taylor's goal threat is really impressive. He has a real knack for attacking the ball in the opposition area - in the same way as other goalscoring centrebacks (e.g Huth). Not to be underestimated.

In a way, I'd quite like him in the side against Arsenal just because they're such a disaster aerially.

On the oooother hand... he's prone to become an incredibly expensive liability at any given second, and you'll question how he ever got anywhere near the first team. Bit of a ticking time bomb defensively.

I'll go for Williamson, the better defender - and hope the midfield/strikers take care of the goals. Maybe Williamson might even get a few!

Williamson caused them bother last season aerially, won the 2nd pelanty IIRC.

Yup, the softest penalty ever given :laugh:

Causing Arsenal aerial bother isn't too difficult, thankfully. Hopefully Williamson can do it again.. and not be part of a defence that ships four, first ;)

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Saylor deserves to stay purely for his form at the end of the season. He is a better player than Williamson, just depends on whether he really can focus it.

I reckon for Arsenal it'll be

Krul

Simpson

Enrique

Coloccini

Taylor

Cabaye

Tiote

Barton

Marveaux

Jonas

Ba

I'd consider having Gosling in for Marveaux at this point, for a bit more steel.

Comparing the last Arsenal match to the next one we should have Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Ba in for Nolan, Lovenkrands and Best plus a much stronger bench.

5-4 this time.

Imagine if we did comeback from 4-0 down to win 5-4, it would take the 4-3 defeats off Liverpool off the "lets play it as often we can list."

Krul

Taylor   Williamson   Coloccini   Enrique

Barton     Tiote     Cabaye     Jonas

Marveaux

Ba

is how I'd line up against the Arsenal scum.

Krul

Taylor  Williamson  Coloccini  Enrique

Barton    Tiote    Cabaye    Jonas

Marveaux

Ba

is how I'd line up against the Arsenal scum.

That looks quite tasty