Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Would be tempted by Debuchy or Beye right back, we haven't really been blessed there the last 20-odd years.  Enrique left back too.

Agree on both counts. The main full backs in KK's sides (Beresford, Hottinger, Barton etc etc) wouldn't touch the modern day full back imho and, whilst Bernard was immense for that 18 month period, I've not seen a better LB than Enrique.

Really?  I might be looking back with rose-tinted glasses but I can't recall anything in the Ginola / Robert / Gillespie's remit being to protect their respective full backs, where the past few years protecting the full back seems to be one of our wingers top one tasks.

Maybe but the more recent fullbacks would've improved the teams of yesteryear imho.

Guest Howaythetoon

speaking of former players, despite being less talented than Ginola and Robert I'd probably select Sellars ahead of them in my all-time Toon XI!

:lol:

On a roll this month, man.

Sellars was great for us, he linked up so well with Beardsley and Cole and was a very good team player to your individual that was often Robert and Ginola. It isn't always about the eye candy Ronny. To pick the best 11 players from the last 20 years individually would be piss easy, but to pick the right players to make the best side isn't. For example I'd have Cole and Beardsley as my front two. Shearer was great but when it comes to the team you have to think what works best. That's why I'd have Shearer and Bellamy over Shearer and Sir Les for example.

speaking of former players, despite being less talented than Ginola and Robert I'd probably select Sellars ahead of them in my all-time Toon XI!

Sellars was great for us, he linked up so well with Beardsley and Cole and was a very good team player to your individual that was often Robert and Ginola. It isn't always about the eye candy Ronny. To pick the best 11 players from the last 20 years individually would be piss easy, but to pick the right players to make the best side isn't. For example I'd have Cole and Beardsley as my front two. Shearer was great but when it comes to the team you have to think what works best. That's why I'd have Shearer and Bellamy over Shearer and Sir Les for example.

Who wouldn't?

I don't remember Sellers doing anything better than Robert.

Would be tempted by Debuchy or Beye right back, we haven't really been blessed there the last 20-odd years.  Enrique left back too.

Agree on both counts. The main full backs in KK's sides (Beresford, Hottinger, Barton etc etc) wouldn't touch the modern day full back imho and, whilst Bernard was immense for that 18 month period, I've not seen a better LB than Enrique.

Really?  I might be looking back with rose-tinted glasses but I can't recall anything in the Ginola / Robert / Gillespie's remit being to protect their respective full backs, where the past few years protecting the full back seems to be one of our wingers top one tasks.

Maybe but the more recent fullbacks would've improved the teams of yesteryear imho.

And that's based on.  The current pairing are floundering in an average team and they only have to do a quarter of the job that they're supposed to be doing.

And that's based on.  The current pairing are floundering in an average team and they only have to do a quarter of the job that they're supposed to be doing.

That's based on having watched live every home game of the KK and SBR eras and the fact that Enrique and Beye are far better players than Bez and Barton or any other full back during those managerial tenures.

Beye in his first season is probably the best RB I've seen for Newcastle. Or Nobby, when he was back there for a bit under Roeder. Debuchy could easily be the best we've had in absolutely yonks but I doubt he'll keep it up/stick around long enough.

Seem to remember Hughes and Griffin both being okay. Simpson, meh. Barton, don't remember him all that well.

Guest Howaythetoon

Sellars was great for us, he linked up so well with Beardsley and Cole and was a very good team player to your individual that was often Robert and Ginola. It isn't always about the eye candy Ronny. To pick the best 11 players from the last 20 years individually would be p*ss easy, but to pick the right players to make the best side isn't. For example I'd have Cole and Beardsley as my front two. Shearer was great but when it comes to the team you have to think what works best. That's why I'd have Shearer and Bellamy over Shearer and Sir Les for example.

Who wouldn't?

I don't remember Sellers doing anything better than Robert.

With Shearer in the side I'd have Robert, but if I'm picking Beardsley and Cole for example I'd choose Sellars. Robert scored and created more goals and was obviously a better player but Sellars was a better fit in terms of those around him. Robert was a player for 4-4-2 and with someone like Shearer up top.  Sellars could play in different systems and with different forwards. Anyway, he was a very underrated player for us.