Our local press

Guest BooBoo

I had a long chat with him this morning, seems he hates to be seen as the mouth piece for the club. Simply explained that most people who complained probably didn't buy the paper which of course means they can't get the cash to do large stories on the club because as has been said they can't afford to lose them. He said he does try to cover both sides of the story and when I mentioned something on the board would be a good enough start he said hed maybe look at something for the weekend.

Also said it was difficult to do stuff investigating stuff like the clubs finances because they don't have the staff to do such a big job as they have to cover other sports not just football or even one particular club like the nationals can.

:thup:

Douglas is nowhere near as bad as Ryder btw. Actually think he's a decent bloke.

They are to a man, gutless. Despite the shambolic descent into chaos that this summer has become, there is still not a word questioning the running of the club. Tonights Chronicle sees a square bat being played with a glib interview with John Carver and a piece on Shane Ferguson hoping to be fit for Arsenal.

Our local papers could if they wanted to, drum up a bit of anger against the current heirarchy but instead they choose to protect their sources with a series of bland pieces and piling blame on anyone but the club.

Nailed it.

But as has been said Colocho without their sources in the club the Chronicle is no more.

Why is that?

Read the rest of this thread, no club access no story, no story no readers, no readers no paper.

Yeah, I got that part - but surely they can do there own investigating like other clubs do?

tbh whats been said about local press for newcastle can be said for local press for any club, they all need to keep the clubs onside so will always be careful in what they say especially in times where newspapers are struggling

Guest Heneage

Ryder's just a fan with a pen. I think there's a reason they don't give him Sunderland stuff to work on because it would just be biased drivel.

Guest Heneage

For once I'd love to see some cultured writing. I also think locals should be opening their doors to younger writers. There are a lot of young guys just looking for bylines who could really contribute some good stuff, gratis.

For once I'd love to see some cultured writing. I also think locals should be opening their doors to younger writers. There are a lot of young guys just looking for bylines who could really contribute some good stuff, gratis.

:angel:

Here is what I don't understand about the eunuchs you currently consider to be sports journalists.

I keep hearing that anyone that criticizes the club, or writes an article that adequately portrays them to be the monkeys in suits that we know they are will be ostracized from the club and refused access. So no one really takes them on (afaict, I don't read your papers. This forum is how I get nufc news.).

So you figure all the journalists are in decent standing with the club atm. Is that safe to assume? If this lack of information is what it means to be in good standing, what's the point? Take them on, ffs. It's not like access has gotten you anything at all.

Here is what I don't understand about the eunuchs you currently consider to be sports journalists.

I keep hearing that anyone that criticizes the club, or writes an article that adequately portrays them to be the monkeys in suits that we know they are will be ostracized from the club and refused access. So no one really takes them on (afaict, I don't read your papers. This forum is how I get nufc news.).

So you figure all the journalists are in decent standing with the club atm. Is that safe to assume? If this lack of information is what it means to be in good standing, what's the point? Take them on, ffs. It's not like access has gotten you anything at all.

That's assuming that the local press spread lies on behalf of the club. What if that's not true and it's just the impression created by irate fans who don't know any better?

If they are dumped by the club they won't be able to come to press conferences, get interviews (no matter how mundane) or attend the game via the press box etc. Even without access to transfer rumour etc, they stand to lose a shitload. The club has them by the bollocks.

I think they could get by without access to the club and just publish news that's been syndicated by the Press Association etc. As mentioned earlier it's not like they get that much information any how (particularly when compared to the relationship Oliver had with the club).

For the “inside story from a club insider” and transfer news they could use any old information given to them by agents etc to keep fans interested.

Also fairly sure they could quote Pardew when he speaks at press conferences.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I've had one or two of them contact me for info on Reserves/Youth team developments over the last 12 months.  :thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

The local media are making nowt, advertising revenue is down, circulation is down, sales are down, the lot. They are really struggling to cut their cloth in the modern digital world of media and I can honestly see a day when the Chronicle ceases to exist. Fewere and fewer people are buying it. Their biggest demographic is the 40-65 year olds but the Toon's population is getting younger and younger, people who are becoming web savvy regarding news and opinion, and they are struggling to reach this demographic.

It is quite sad in a way because the Chronicle is as Geordie as Greggs, Blaydon Races, Shearer and indeed NUFC but they haven't helped themselves. For years they have been far too pally with the club but its a catch 22 situation for them. If they dare to speak out they may get banned from SJP.

Me personally, they can go fuck themselves.

Comments on our Newcastle United stories

By Evening Chronicle

WE have received an unprecedented number of website comments on Newcastle United stories in recent days.

It is clear from these comments that feelings are running high among ChronicleLive users and Newcastle United fans. The Evening Chronicle would like to thank you for your comments, and assure you that we are listening to your views.

We are constantly asking Newcastle United questions about events at the club and transfer policy, and we report their responses back to you. In addition, we are shortlisting a number of the questions you have raised on the website to put to the club in the wake of recent events.

We will also shortly be holding a live webchat with Chronicle chief sports writer Lee Ryder to give you the opportunity to ask questions. More details about how you can get involved with this will be published soon.

However, too many comments are being removed for violating our terms and conditions of acceptable use, usually because they are personally insulting, offensive, deliberately provocative or profane.

We want and encourage strong, healthy debate on our website. We value your views and want to continue offering our users the opportunity to comment on stories, but we cannot continue publishing comments which are abusive either to other users or our reporters.

We understand that for the majority of you, it is frustrating to see that comments have been blocked or deleted without explanation. Please read the following guidance on commenting to help you understand the action we take.

Read More

Aren't all newspapers struggling now the internet is everywhere?

It's the same as music/film piracy. If the newspaper industry can't find a good way to move with the times then the power will shift to us. Blogs, message boards and google news is all you'd need if newspapers went.

Guest BooBoo

Tonight's Chronicle really is as bland as it gets. HTT is right when he says the paper is part of the Geordie furniture but if its churning out drivel like tonight's stuff then it really wouldnt be missed if it went to the wall.

Guest Howaythetoon

I read a great article about modern media a few months back, most journalists/papers don't even bother trying to break news now they go for the after effect like opinion and talking heads' opinions because normal joes break news these days via facebook, twitter etc.

If I want to know the news from America where do I go? I go to forums, blogs etc. If I want to know what's happening at NUFC I visit here. I can't remember the last time I bought or read the Chronicle, I don't even visit their site. They pased being relevent years ago.

Fanzines are struggling too by the way, print ones that is.

Guest BooBoo

I think the wide network of supporters on here, makes this place far more on the ball than either of the local papers. Last year's Ben Arfa saga for example, they were just rehashing the developments that were popping up in that thread.

We could do with George Caulkin coming out and asking questions of the board, etc. He has been unusually quiet of recent. I can understand the local rags needing to keep the club onside, but who do they write the paper for? Is it for the club or the people who actually buy it?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I think the wide network of supporters on here, makes this place far more on the ball than either of the local papers. Last year's Ben Arfa saga for example, they were just rehashing the developments that were popping up in that thread.

Yeah, I think that's when I realised most of the local media were actually using this forum as a source!

Guest Howaythetoon

Tonight's Chronicle really is as bland as it gets. HTT is right when he says the paper is part of the Geordie furniture but if its churning out drivel like tonight's stuff then it really wouldnt be missed if it went to the wall.

Aye, I doubt many would miss it to be honest. Maybe a hardcore group of OAP readers, the kind that write in, send in poems and shit.

I know a lot of old blokes who don't really get the whole internet thing (or know how to use it) buy it for the footy stuff but your average 20-30 year old gets their news online.

Most phones come with the internet now, high speed browsing and there are many aps for news on footy now too so the media are struggling on that front as well. My neighbour is about 50, typical technophobe but Toon daft. Bought himself a Blackberry, anyway I installed the Sky Sports app and several footy news aps and he couldn't believe it. He gets text when a team scores and live league tables, he gets RSS news feeds from the beeb direct to his phone. I bet he doesn't even buy the Chronicle no more, why would you?!

I give them 3 years as they are if that. They will either have to massively divserify their business or cease to exist.