The Strawberry Corner

Crumpy Gunt

But standing is still in England and very much a part of the English game - in all leagues below the Championship. I think it's more than possible for standing to be brought back to the top flight, it won't be compulsary, the whole point is to allow clubs to have safe standing if they wish. I agree with your points about current stadiums not being able to incorporate standing, that's fair enough and I'm sure plenty of clubs wouldn't bother or wouldn't actually be able to have it in their ground without significant cost, but on the other hand it would then allow clubs who are building new stadiums to offer safe standing. Another example is grounds which don't have corners could easily be fitted with safe standing sections.

Not only that but some clubs may look to it as a way of improving attendance - cheaper tickets, better atmosphere, it'd certainly make games more appealing for many fans who have been driven away by modern football and it's shit atmospheres and stupid ticket prices. In my opinion anyway.

145 MPs have signed the motion for Safe Standing....the bill is still ages away but there's a strong hope it will be brought back. In the meantime people will continue to stand infront of their plastic seats and enjoy the game, standing numbers are on the rise and it's fucking great to see.

I genuinely think most clubs don't really care about the atmosphere. If they are selling tickets, they'll be happy. No way will clubs shell out on grounds developments if the main benefit is just improving the atmosphere.

I genuinely think most clubs don't really care about the atmosphere. If they are selling tickets, they'll be happy. No way will clubs shell out on grounds developments if the main benefit is just improving the atmosphere.

I agree with you, but that doesn't mean we can't lift the ban on allowing standing in the top flight. I'm sure the uptake would be low if at all to be honest, but it would be a start. If the bill passed I wonder what would happen though, given that so many fans are currently standing in areas that football clubs/councils are deeming dangerous areas - surely they'd be pressured into implementing safe standing? It's all guesswork really. I still remember when Chris Mort said he'd be in favour of bringing in safe standing if it was allowed, so who knows, maybe some clubs would be proactive in a cause that benefits the fans for once.

Football is a middle class sport now, no doubt about it. Sadly this means the atmosphere at the match is piss poor, go into the 100's of pubs/social clubs etc on Tyneside on a matchday and you will see 100x the passion in them than at SJP

Very sad to see :( Thankfully away games still have that buzz but in the very near future i can see them being diluted.

Football has gone from it's roots, all the working class lads. forget it...

Odd isn't it - the generation that grew up going to games and standing up want to sit, and the generation that grew up sitting down want to stand

The difference is the generation who grew up standing have  been priced out the game and go to the local and watch the match. The lack of passion inside SJP now tells everything you need to know about the type of people who go to football  now

Football is a middle class sport now, no doubt about it. Sadly this means the atmosphere at the match is piss poor, go into the 100's of pubs/social clubs etc on Tyneside on a matchday and you will see 100x the passion in them than at SJP

Very sad to see :( Thankfully away games still have that buzz but in the very near future i can see them being diluted.

Nail on head ,i cannot afford to go anymore but next season going halves with a mate (7 years since last season ticket) and watch it in a pub/club there is a lot of passion from working class people who i have no doubt including myself want to stand .

Football is a middle class sport now, no doubt about it. Sadly this means the atmosphere at the match is p*ss poor, go into the 100's of pubs/social clubs etc on Tyneside on a matchday and you will see 100x the passion in them than at SJP

Nail on head ,i cannot afford to go anymore but next season going halves with a mate (7 years since last season ticket) and watch it in a pub/club there is a lot of passion from working class people who i have no doubt including myself want to stand .

Save your money pal, not worth it

Guest stumonkseatonmagpies

Has anyone on here actually received a letter?

Or has anyone got any idea what is happening if you get one?

Football is a middle class sport now, no doubt about it. Sadly this means the atmosphere at the match is p*ss poor, go into the 100's of pubs/social clubs etc on Tyneside on a matchday and you will see 100x the passion in them than at SJP

Save your money pal, not worth it

Miss it too much tbh its in me till i die  :smitten:

Odd isn't it - the generation that grew up going to games and standing up want to sit, and the generation that grew up sitting down want to stand

The difference is the generation who grew up standing have  been priced out the game and go to the local and watch the match. The lack of passion inside SJP now tells everything you need to know about the type of people who go to football  now

That's a load of bolloks that like.

All the people around me have been going for years, all my mates have went since the late 70's and early 80's and still go now.

The higher priced corporate areas are usually the parts of the ground that aren't filled/sold out rather than the more ordinary priced areas.

My season ticket Direct debit is £26.88 a month which for 19 home games works out at £16.97 per game or the price of 6 pints in the town.

Maybe it's just me but I feel this whole atmosphere/ lack of atmosphere mither is a load of tosh. Take away all the other shite like transfer windows and bad ownerships, I still enjoy match days as much as I did twenty years ago. A lot of time people hark back to the "good old days" of standing but sentiment generally clouds the reality of shit views, poor treatment, zero facilities, getting soaked when it rained and a general uncomfortable experience.

Furthermore, I agree completely with Doza. Fans haven't been priced out on the whole. It's just that when the team is performing poorly, it's easier to find excuses not to bother going to games.

If people are standing, I will stand and if they are sitting, I am happy to sit - mind you I have a few back problems so sometimes, I have to sit even when everyone else is standing.

However, I do not understand that when concerts are held in football stadia why it is OK for everyone to stand for a couple of hours in the seating area when it is not OK for football matches.  Surely the same council rules apply?

You can still make a right noise and be seated. I remember when we first got promoted back in 1993 and for the first 5 or so seasons nearly all of our away support sat throughout the matches but were far noisier than the current away support who stand throughout the match. Also, in the late 80's and early 90's you had that section of the Milburn Stand in the Leazes wing which was probably the noisiest part of the ground and they usually remained seated throughout which goes to show you can sing/shout and remain on your arse.

I can see the argument for the lads who go to the game and would prefer to stand as well (i'd put myself in that category). We had a section where 3,000 or so likeminded people could stand for 90 mins but it was never going to last and sooner or later we would have had threats of the stadium safety certificate being withdrawn or the capacity reduced.

I agree that it's a nonsense not to have standing areas. I went to watch Schalke v Nurnberg last season and was fortunate enough that a Schalke fan managed to get me a ticket (€13) in the Nordkurve. 13,000 of us packed in, and I mean packed in, behind the goal. Atmosphere was incredible but at no point did it not feel safe. People should remember it wasn't terracing that killed those people at Hillsborough but the fencing which trapped them inside.

However rules are rules. The club have the power to withdraw season tickets of persitant standers. The council/safety commitee have the power to close certain parts of the stadium so until there's a satisfactory resolution people will just have to abide by them and if you don't like it there are plenty of Northern League clubs who would love your support, would be happy for you to stand, and even have a pint whilst watching the match providing you swap your glass for a plastic one!

Question number 6 on the list of questions the Chronicle will be asking Derek Llambias;

6. Given that level 7 was deserted in some parts at the Fulham game, is there any reason why those who want to sing can't all be sat together rather than upsetting fans who don't want to sing, which appears to be the problem in the Strawberry corner? What has caused the club to fundamentally change its stance to standing in the stadium?

The difference is the generation who grew up standing have  been priced out the game and go to the local and watch the match. The lack of passion inside SJP now tells everything you need to know about the type of people who go to football  now

What ??

Most of the people I used to stand with are still going today, it's the Johnnny come latelys and post-Keegan fashion fans who've stopped going in the main and frankly good riddance to them.

Lack of passion ? Are you kidding - it might not be like the old Leazes or thereafter Gallowgate days but SJP is still one of, if not THE, most passionate arenas in the country despite whats been going on. The support shown to the team in both home games this season has been passionate and totally commited.

You keep banging on about how you think it's better in the pub - isn't that what the mackems prefer according to their chairman.

Question number 6 on the list of questions the Chronicle will be asking Derek Llambias;

6. Given that level 7 was deserted in some parts at the Fulham game, is there any reason why those who want to sing can't all be sat together rather than upsetting fans who don't want to sing, which appears to be the problem in the Strawberry corner? What has caused the club to fundamentally change its stance to standing in the stadium?

Awfully worded question.  The club has never changed its stance on standing, it has always been policy to not stand.  It was never a standing section, only a singing section.  And the reason they will cite for the disbandment of the singing section will be persistent standing.  Circles!

Guest Randy Savage

Mackem in peace.

Having attended a meeting between SAFC and the Supporters Branch Liaison Group, the matter of safe standing was on the agenda.

One problem many stadiums face, particularly new stadiums like the SOL, is that the gradient between each of the rows in stands is much steeper than on the old terraces, so it isn't just as easy as ripping the seats out. There would have to be some sort of reconfiguration.

Personally, I'd like to see a bit of safe standing, or stewards just basically 'turning a blind eye' to lads standing in a designated area. Lads stand at the back of our SWC and North Stand, and generally get away with it, although the fluro-coated nazis move in now and again. 

Guest hobshobs

Good point. Problem is, if you told some of those on here that want to stand, that they had to stand, they'd sit.

Good point. Problem is, if you told some of those on here that want to stand, that they had to stand, they'd sit.

And of course blame Ashley for not being able to sit.

And so it goes on and on............