L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Apparently being depressingly negative about only the club is no longer sufficient for Dave.

To be fair to Dave, most of the posts in here are not worth reading.

Including anything Dave's written in the football section for the past eight months or so.

Because his opinion is different to yours?

No, because the only kind of posts he makes now are sarcastic one-liners about how the club will fail miserably at whatever the topic is discussing.

To be fair there's a few others aswell as Dave who make those sort of posts, I agree though it's really tedious. Not sure if it's an attempt at being humorous or they just have nothing to contribute but still feel the need to post in every topic.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

To be honest, I was pretty hopeful coming into this transfer window that the Carroll money would be invested in at least a couple of £10m players to help us really kick-on, but I've been completely enveloped with apathy and a bit if anger at myself for even entertaining the thought! There's no justification for out transfer policy, our net spend is ridiculous and the justification that transfer fees are now paying wages is a joke - signing-on fees I understand but not actual wages. Where does the rest of our income go?

We could really have done something this summer, bought two very decent strikers along with the free's and cabaye, replaced Enrique before we sold him(!), but no.....we're mad to believe any hyperbole vomited by the club in an attempt to appease us.

Eurgh

So near the end of the week and no concrete movements, Pardew's spouting shite again about 1 being through the door at the very least. Be lucky if we manage 1 by the end of the window at this rate.

Be a happy day when these cretins have noting to do with us anymore.

To be honest, I was pretty hopeful coming into this transfer window that the Carroll money would be invested in at least a couple of £10m players to help us really kick-on, but I've been completely enveloped with apathy and a bit if anger at myself for even entertaining the thought! There's no justification for out transfer policy, our net spend is ridiculous and the justification that transfer fees are now paying wages is a joke - signing-on fees I understand but not actual wages. Where does the rest of our income go?

We could really have done something this summer, bought two very decent strikers along with the free's and cabaye, replaced Enrique before we sold him(!), but no.....we're mad to believe any hyperbole vomited by the club in an attempt to appease us.

Eurgh

Out of interest, without their clauses how much would you suppose Cabaye & Ba would have cost? And Marveaux for that matter? I'd think you'd be looking about £20m for the 3 of them.

So near the end of the week and no concrete movements, Pardew's spouting s**** again about 1 being through the door at the very least. Be lucky if we manage 1 by the end of the window at this rate.

Be a happy day when these cretins have noting to do with us anymore.

Where's he said this? I know about the quotes from post match on Saturday, but haven't seen any since.

That's what I was referring too. If it's touch and go he should just shut his trap.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Eurgh

Out of interest, without their clauses how much would you suppose Cabaye & Ba would have cost? And Marveaux for that matter? I'd think you'd be looking about £20m for the 3 of them.

I don't really care what their 'true' value would've been to be honest, the fact that we got them as cheaply as we did should merely have free'd more cash to be spent on other players, not justify not spending because said players could have cost us x million under different circumstances

Guest BooBoo

But say we had spent £20m on them or their equivalents, would you be complaining? Squad strength remains the same.

Its irrelevant. All that amtters is that we got our signings in for collectively small ammounts and the surplus should have been dipped into. There's no need to deal with hypothetical situations here.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Squad strength remains light in my opinion, we've merely replaced players who've left (with the exception of marveaux) and still have a squad that's light in quality. Our squad in general is 70% average to rubbish, let's not forget. I still don't think the argument of "we could've paid £20m and you wouldn't be complaining" really washes, because we didn't spend it therefore I am complaining

But say we had spent £20m on them or their equivalents, would you be complaining? Squad strength remains the same.

Its irrelevant. All that amtters is that we got our signings in for collectively small ammounts and the surplus should have been dipped into. There's no need to deal with hypothetical situations here.

correct, it's the same as saying "everton haven't spent anything either, nor have spurs or villa really"

doesn't matter, in fact it makes it worse that these teams aren't doing anything 'cause if we'd spent some of the fucking money raked in on top of the good deals that we've done then we'd have had a chance to bridge the gap and catch them up, even perhaps overtake them

but then that's not the ultimate goal for ash i suppose is it?

Guest dazzanufc1892

ever considered we could be using this to pay wages weekly? rather than every 6 months? thus making us a more attractive proposition to players?

not having to live on credit all the time......just a thought

ever considered we could be using this to pay wages weekly? rather than every 6 months? thus making us a more attractive proposition to players?

wha?

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Or maybe the justification is that we're paying their entire contracts up front........... Or that maybe it's just a massive lie

Squad strength remains light in my opinion, we've merely replaced players who've left (with the exception of marveaux) and still have a squad that's light in quality. Our squad in general is 70% average to rubbish, let's not forget. I still don't think the argument of "we could've paid £20m and you wouldn't be complaining" really washes, because we didn't spend it therefore I am complaining

I mean in terms of who we've signed. Would you be complaining had it been, for example...

Cabaye - £7m, Ba - £7.5m - Marveaux - £5m

without any Freebies?

I don't think they're unreasonable valuations either.

I mean in terms of who we've signed. Would you be complaining had it been, for example...

Cabaye - £7m, Ba - £7.5m - Marveaux - £5m

without any Freebies?

I don't think they're unreasonable valuations either.

i'd complaining yeah, because you left off the outgoings: carroll 35m, nolan 4m, enrique 6m

so yeah, i'd be complaining

Why though?

Pardew/Carr or whoever would have had it in their minds the squad they want and the positions they needed to watch in September back at the start of the summer, of course there's other areas need improved but do you risk unsettling the squad and  his plans completely for the sake of spending that £20m just because "it's there"?

Why though?

Pardew/Carr or whoever would have had it in their minds the squad they want in September back at the start of the summer, of course there's other areas need improved but do you risk unsettling the squad and  his plans completely for the sake of spending that £20m just because "it's there"?

is this really happening O-N?  i mean are you trying to suggest that pardew, let alone any other manager in the world, wouldn't have at least one more area strengthen given 20m to do it with?