L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Guest Haris Vuckic

Lovenkrands really tries his best but he just isn't good enough. It's a shame because you can see he puts the effort in, he's just terrible. He could probably have 2 good years in Scotland.

This guy was brilliant last year with Ideye and Martin. It is a shame for Sochaux to lose him and Ideye in the same window, but I will gladly take the boy. Would prefer someone with more experience and proven goal scoring, but Maiga is very talented with the pace that we lack upfront outside of inefficient Lovenkrands. However, if Nigeria does disgrace themselves and call Ameobi, we will be without our top three strikers in the new year which is worrying, this is of course assuming Mali qualifies, which is definitely not a given at this point. They have two tough matches left.

To be honest Best is far better than Ameobi anyway.  Good to hear that you rate Maiga though :thup:

I have never seen him play but I can't help feel a bit underwhelm if he is going to be our main striker. I was expecting a more established striker with a proven goal scoring record. I guess beggars can't be choosers and all that  :-[

Saj Chowdhury (BBC) -

"Sochaux tell me Maiga is not "transferable". Bit strange player claims #nufc chatted to him without club's blessing, by the sounds of it."

Re: his exclusion from the Metalist match -

"More to do with the strike...I think they may be happy for him to stay in the reserves for two weeks then perhaps sell him"

Saj Chowdhury (BBC) -

"Sochaux tell me Maiga is not "transferable". Bit strange player claims #nufc chatted to him without club's blessing, by the sounds of it."

"More to do with the strike...I think they may be happy for him to stay in the reserves for two weeks then perhaps sell him"

Bit contradictory to say the least.

Saj Chowdhury (BBC) -

:nope:

They'd have reported us for it otherwise

Nah ones the official line & ones the reporters opinion on whats actually more likely.

Dont really see the benefit in them holding on just to sell him though, unless they dont want to use the money Ashley style.

Seems like they allowed us to talk to him from the Independent report but the fee hasn't been agreed, Maiga got the hump because they were dragging their feet, now they are pissed because he's gone on strike.

Saj Chowdhury (BBC) -

Saj never knows what he's talking about.