L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Guest bimpy474

apparently he isn't that good. he only scored 16 in 40 because he got brilliant assists all the time. at his former club he only got 15 in 96.

No player really scores without assists, also those games would have been when he was very young and included sub appearances too, never read to much into that it means nothing at his age.

apparently he isn't that good. he only scored 16 in 40 because he got brilliant assists all the time. at his former club he only got 15 in 96.

Someone posted an article on here (I think) saying he spent the early part of his career out on the left wing.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Douglas -

Maiga chase has become complicated because of Sochaux prez comments, it seems. Nothing close!

Wow.

It depends how Forceful Maiga wants to be tbh

Will go to the wire which is dangerous for us if we dont move on

Honestly think Ben Arfa will be used as one of our strikers and will always start if fit (I know). It's Ben Arfa and someone else at the minute. He could play behind either Ba, Shola or Best.

We've got 4 names there (plus Lovenkrands) so, although we clearly need more quality up front, we could just about muddle through to January with what we've already got if we absolutely had to. Not ideal but do-able.

Honestly think Ben Arfa will be used as one of our strikers and will always start if fit (I know). It's Ben Arfa and someone else at the minute. He could play behind either Ba, Shola or Best.

We've got 4 names there (plus Lovenkrands) so, although we clearly need more quality up front, we could just about muddle through to January with what we've already got if we absolutely had to. Not ideal but do-able.

We need a striker. End of.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Christ Midds did you speak to the board this weekend?

If we don't buy a striker this window I don't see what would motivate us to buy one in January. Unless it all goes tits up in which case we should have bought this summer in any case. It would be really poor form to hope for the best but fairly typical.

This is not an option. It would be unforgivable to go a full year without adequately replacing a striker we received £35 million for.

We need a striker. End of.

I know.

This is not an option. It would be unforgivable to go a full year without adequately replacing a striker we received £35 million for.

Especially when the only striker to have been brought in can't get into the team ahead of Shola.

Not saying I like the prospect. It's just about do-able and the exact thing I'm expecting to happen. :thup:

Say Best and Ameobi get 5-10 goals each, and Ba gets 10-15, that might be just about OK to go with any goals that come from the rest of the team.

I want us to buy a centre forward, but I think a LB is probably more important at this point. Hopefully get both.

(Not Bridge and Cole)

Say Best and Ameobi get 5-10 goals each, and Ba gets 10-15, that might be just about OK to go with any goals that come from the rest of the team.

I want us to buy a centre forward, but I think a LB is probably more important at this point. Hopefully get both.

(Not Bridge and Cole)

No excuse on this one, the clubs needs a striker just as much as a left back, goals are the cornerstone of success on the pitch and barring Ba none of our strikers are clinical or good enough to consistently aid the creation of goals through indirect play.

Best is still an unknown quantity in my opinion but definitely has the potential, I wouldn't want to have to rely on that potential. We need proven strikers. Full stop.

(Not Bridge and Cole)

No excuse on this one, the clubs needs a striker just as much as a left back, goals are the cornerstone of success on the pitch and barring Ba none of our strikers are clinical or good enough to consistently aid the creation of goals through indirect play.

Best is still an unknown quantity in my opinion but definitely has the potential, I wouldn't want to have to rely on that potential. We need proven strikers. Full stop.

I think one of the reasons we are being so hesitant is that for £7-8m you don't buy proven strikers, there's no guarantee this Maiga will get goals in the premier. But then if that's all you are prepared to spend then you have to take an educated punt. If you do your homework it can pay off big. I'm sure WBA are more than happy with the daft fee they spent on Shane Long right now.

Guest mimifrench

Yesterday, Sochaux's president said to canal + that no one will leave his club until the end of the transfert window, the 31th of august...

His position is very clear, and you have to take into account that he has already sell one of their striker Ideye Brown and that their coach moved to Bordeaux.

If he let Maiga go to NUFC, they won't have decent strikers any more. So his position is quite understandable...

Yesterday, Sochaux's president said to canal + that no one will leave his club until the end of the transfert window, the 31th of august...

His position is very clear, and you have to take into account that he has already sell one of their striker Ideye Brown and that their coach moved to Bordeaux.

If he let Maiga go to NUFC, they won't have decent strikers any more. So his position is quite understandable...

Well if that's the case. NEXT!

Not totally convinced this lad is what we need anyway

Sounds like they might let him go if they can get in a replacement before Aug 31.