Champions League 2011/2012 - Group stage draw matches games

Neil

Someone has probably already explained it, but why couldn´t Man City be drawn to group h? And why can´t two teams from the same country be in the same group?

You can only have two teams from the same country in the same 'half' of the draw. Arsenal and Chelsea were in E and F so Man City had to be in A, B, C or D.

And it's just always the way it's been, it's a European competition I guess.

Someone has probably already explained it, but why couldn´t Man City be drawn to group h?

Teams from the same country are paired with one another. 1 goes in A-D, 1 goes in E-H. This is so that they split the games between Tue/Wed. So English teams are 2 on Tue, 2 on Wed. E-H already had Chelsea and Arsenal in. A-D only had Man Utd.

And why can´t two teams from the same country be in the same group?

Because they are the rules. It's probably because it's more interesting this way.

Man Utd with a relatively easy draw.

Man City will fancy their chances.

Chelsea have a challenging group, but should be fine.

Arsenal have a tricky group.

I think all English teams should go through though. Maybe not 1st, but 2nd for sure (Arsenal).

Overall a good draw - some very good matches lined up. Outside the English games, I'm looking forward to Barcelona vs AC Milan!  :clap:

Someone has probably already explained it, but why couldn´t Man City be drawn to group h?

Teams from the same country are paired with one another. 1 goes in A-D, 1 goes in E-H. This is so that they split the games between Tue/Wed. So English teams are 2 on Tue, 2 on Wed. E-H already had Chelsea and Arsenal in. A-D only had Man Utd.

Because they are the rules. It's probably because it's more interesting this way.

Aye, part of the fun of playing in Europe is playing foreign sides, not a repeat of a league fixture.

Didn't know that first part though, is it decided beforehand or part of the draw?

Guest Haris Vuckic
henrywinter Henry Winter

As the son-in-law of Diego Maradona, Sergio Aguero guaranteed an emotional welcome at Napoli. #mcfc

What's this quim on about?

Kinda makes sense. Still, I´d think it would be better if some of the teams met already in the group stages so we don´t have to see two teams from the same league in the quarter and semi finals.

henrywinter Henry Winter

As the son-in-law of Diego Maradona, Sergio Aguero guaranteed an emotional welcome at Napoli. #mcfc

What's this quim on about?

Not hard to follow like. :lol:

Maradona is a Napoli legend, hence Aguero will probably be given a warm reception.

City are favourites for their group. They have far superior players to the other teams in the group, although whether they'll be able to gel quick enough is another matter, especially for European matches, but they're still favourites.

Villarreal should make it a fun group. I think it's possible that they go through. Napoli to finish last, but I can't predict who finishes first.

Aye, part of the fun of playing in Europe is playing foreign sides, not a repeat of a league fixture.

Didn't know that first part though, is it decided beforehand or part of the draw?

Decided beforehand, but it's not made particularly obvious who is paired with who.

Crap from UEFA:

Where two sides from the same association qualified, they were paired to split their matches between Tuesday and Wednesday, so one club will always play at home on one day and the other will play away on the other day. In the case of associations with three representatives, only two teams were paired in terms of their fixtures; in the case of associations with four representatives, two pairings were made based on the TV audience.

To ensure sides from the same country play on separate days, the eight groups were distinguished by colour: Groups A-D were red and Groups E-H blue. When a paired club was drawn, for example, into one of the red groups, the other paired club – once it was drawn – was automatically assigned to one of the four blue groups.

City are favourites for their group. They have far superior players to the other teams in the group, although whether they'll be able to gel quick enough is another matter, especially for European matches, but they're still favourites.

Villarreal should make it a fun group. I think it's possible that they go through. Napoli to finish last, but I can't predict who finishes first.

Looking forward to seeing how Napoli get on as well. They've still got some quality players like Cavani, Lavezzi, Hamsik and Inler.

I think it's anyone's group, this is.

Usual cliche guff - Dortmund... well, they're a German side... well organised...

Dortmund and Arsenal should be a cracker. Rosicky going back to old club as well.

Yep, looking forward to that definitely.

Well, ManCity haven't really radically altered their side this year, compared to what they did previous seasons. So the gelling part won't be that much of an issue. Lots of their players are highly experienced in Europe. They will do well unless Mancini is particularly conservative and they screw up the away games.

The thing is with City they have a lot of players with European experience but no European experience as a side. If you compound that with Mancini's tactics I can see them struggling away from home.

Should make for a good open group. Could make a good case for all going through/out. Be some class atmospheres too. Jelly as fuck.