Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

as good as he is on the ball and going forward he really does have no left foot which defiantly restricts us in that when he has space he can't just cross it into the box.

on the other hand it means he can cut in towards the box and have the ball on his supposed better foot for shooting or passing. at least a couple of times against QPR i was screaming at him to shoot as he cut in inside the box and had a clear sight, much better than going outside to look to cross.

Yeah but that's the same for Jonas. I just think we would be more balanced with at-least one left footer on the left so that we have that option. Would be nice to see how we did with Santon at right back and a left footed left back but who knows maybe we are better off with the way it is now.

The problem only arises when we have too many players playing on their wrong side IMO. Three out of four wide players were on the opposite foot today.

If you have a wide midfielder who can't go wide and cross, you must have a fullback who can overlap. Or vice versa. Today we were easily channelled by Fulham into the congested centre and contained.

Santon looks very good though.

as good as he is on the ball and going forward he really does have no left foot which defiantly restricts us in that when he has space he can't just cross it into the box.

on the other hand it means he can cut in towards the box and have the ball on his supposed better foot for shooting or passing. at least a couple of times against QPR i was screaming at him to shoot as he cut in inside the box and had a clear sight, much better than going outside to look to cross.

Yeah but that's the same for Jonas. I just think we would be more balanced with at-least one left footer on the left so that we have that option. Would be nice to see how we did with Santon at right back and a left footed left back but who knows maybe we are better off with the way it is now.

jonas never cuts in with the same intent.

I think today should be a good learning curve for the lad. Remember he is still very young, despite being so confident with the ball and generally an all round excellent fullback. I do however feel he goes too far foward on occasions leaving us with zero cover, pulling Colo wide, creating space for attackers etc. If he can better manage his time spent going forward and tracking back, then he'll be one hell of a fullback for us.

I like that a lot..

Pretty soon we'll have Ba and Cisse to aim for, I'll take a good cross into the box over a shot in those circumstances.

He is a RB. Not a LB.

Based on what?

His inability to use his left foot, i think he would be much more comfortable on the right.

he does use his left foot. you think maldini, lahm etc would be more comfortable on the right.

i'm not saying he is or isn't this or that just the idea of ' he's right footed so should play on the right ' is shite.

He is a RB. Not a LB.

Based on what?

His inability to use his left foot, i think he would be much more comfortable on the right.

he does use his left foot. you think maldini, lahm etc would be more comfortable on the right.

i'm not saying he is or isn't this or that just the idea of ' he's right footed so should play on the right ' is shite.

His left foot is awful though, more of then not it ends up a goal kick when tries to cross with his left. Maldini, Lahm etc could use their left peg a lot better than Santon, even Ryan Taylor can.

He is a RB. Not a LB.

Based on what?

i'm not saying he is or isn't this or that just the idea of ' he's right footed so should play on the right ' is s****.

Lahm can tackle with his left, so could Maldini, Santon cant do that. He will always look to tackle with his right, which leaves him exposed and vulnerable when the man goes to the byline.... You cant use Maldini's ability as reasoning for playing him LB. 

He is a RB. Not a LB.

Based on what?

i'm not saying he is or isn't this or that just the idea of ' he's right footed so should play on the right ' is s****.

Lahm can tackle with his left, so could Maldini, Santon cant do that. He will always look to tackle with his right, which leaves him exposed and vulnerable when the man goes to the byline.... You cant use Maldini's ability as reasoning for playing him LB. 

can't really remember anyone going past santon on the outside when he hasn't been done for positioning (more naive than owt else)

He is a RB. Not a LB.

Based on what?

can't really remember anyone going past santon on the outside when he hasn't been done for positioning (more naive than owt else)

Off the top of my head, downing did.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Santon has played left back for both inter and Italy NT. he hasn't often been played a rb that suggest he is indeed a left-back.

He is a RB. Not a LB.

Based on what?

whats he doing over there, the left footed downing ?

He is a RB. Not a LB.

Based on what?

Playing on the right, going down santons left.....

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Santon has played left back for both inter and Italy NT. he hasn't often been played a rb that suggest he is indeed a left-back.

Plays RB for the italian U-21's, cant comment on italy seniors.

Most defo played LB for the main team.

No it doesn't. The abilities of a player are the deciding factor in a players best position, not where managers choose to play them due to the needs of the team. As it happens we need him to play left back right now.

With regards to Madras saying he hasn't been beaten on the outside, I'd go further and say his key attribute in defending on the left is the ability to intercept passes between him and Colo with his right, that's the benefit of him being on that side.

He is a RB. Not a LB.

Based on what?

Playing on the right, going down santons left.....

thats my point about not judging players by what foot they are supposedly strongest on, downing is left footed. your theory would say he should be on the left also i don't remember downing doing him  time and time again or are you picking on one occasion, if you do i'll claim jose getting burned off by routledge a few times when qpr played up here in the championship season.