Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Still think he's a good player and more than capable of being a competent left back.

He's just completely lost in the midst of this crisis, form has evaporated.

Very much agree with this. He's got everything you need to make it as top top player apart from experience. This shitty season will help him develop some character, some backbone but we'll not get the benefit from it unless we stay up. He's only a kid still, don't forget.

Guest BrightonMag

Still think he's a good player and more than capable of being a competent left back.

Do you honestly believe not using your left foot doesn't matter?

Can he not be trained to use it, when he has to? Unnatural yes but hardly beyond the laws of fantasy. Sure he openly stated he prefers left back.

He's been our best player for the most part of this season, but his confidence is totally shot. Like mentioned above he needs a rest.

Guest BrightonMag

Can he not be trained to use it, when he has to?

I wouldn't have thought so, no. He's had years of his professional career to use it and has shown no desire to, so I'd find it a bit unlikely if he could suddenly train it up now to the level of being comfortable using it a lot.

I wouldn't have thought so, no. He's had years of his professional career to use it and has shown no desire to, so I'd find it a bit unlikely if he could suddenly train it up now to the level of being comfortable using it a lot.

I'd have hoped he could use it for absolute basics, but I agree he is very one footed. It does add some imbalance but his problems at the moment are his positioning, not really what foot he's using.

Guest BrightonMag

I'd have hoped he could use it for absolute basics, but I agree he is very one footed. It does add some imbalance but his problems at the moment are his positioning, not really what foot he's using.

I think they're related. When you know you want to use your right at LB you have to compensate by being in a different position to classic full back.

When a player doesn't make a left foot challenge or pass, but then makes a right foot one a few seconds later, it's easy to forget/ignore the fact that the left wasn't used. But that doesn't mean that using the left would not have been a better outcome. There are left foot basics that don't get done, such as clearing the ball down the line (instead coming inside and using your right), getting to the by line and crossing, slide tackle when your opponent has passed you (like yesterday). I've even seen when he's had to pass past a player down the line, and the left was an easy pass, but he played it with his right and the ball went two yards to the left of our player and went out.

It all adds up, and it doesn't make anything run smoothly down the left since Jonas has a similar issue.

Guest firetotheworks

Ask world's best left back, Phillipe Lahm.

Guest firetotheworks

Can Lahm genuinely not kick with his left foot, like Santon?

He's extremely one-footed. Not Downing level, but still very one-footed.

I think they're related. When you know you want to use your right at LB you have to compensate by being in a different position to classic full back.

When a player doesn't make a left foot challenge or pass, but then makes a right foot one a few seconds later, it's easy to forget/ignore the fact that the left wasn't used. But that doesn't mean that using the left would not have been a better outcome. There are left foot basics that don't get done, such as clearing the ball down the line (instead coming inside and using your right), getting to the by line and crossing, slide tackle when your opponent has passed you (like yesterday). I've even seen when he's had to pass past a player down the line, and the left was an easy pass, but he played it with his right and the ball went two yards to the left of our player and went out.

It all adds up, and it doesn't make anything run smoothly down the left since Jonas has a similar issue.

He has a tendency to ball watch, which in turn affects how he marks players. He could be equally comfortable on both feet but if he keeps allowing players space it won't matter.

Can Lahm genuinely not kick with his left foot, like Santon?

He's extremely one-footed. Not Downing level, but still very one-footed.

I would say Downing's very competent with his right foot, scored a lot of great goals with it.

Do you think left footers at right back and vice versa should be the standard? Lahm and Maldini are two of the greatest players of all time at full back (both sides and it's not fair to hold them up as par. They're clearly the exceptions rather than the rule, otherwise 99.9% of full backs in football history have played out of position.

Guest BrightonMag

Ask world's best left back, Phillipe Lahm.

When your slide tackling and speed is as good as Lahm it clearly matters a lot less. If Santon was to tackle with his right like that I would happily see him at left back.

Been defensively suspect. And going forward not all that effective.

Would love a left footed fullback. We genuinely do not have any width on the left nor do we look like getting some. HBA/Marv like to drift in the middle, we need someone on the overlap to spread play.

He needs to imrpove his game. Positioning, in the air, delivery from wide.

Have a feeling that we are bidding for that Nancy left back because we are expecting an offer from an Italian club for Santon. I was thinking at first that we were going for healthy depth in the position and competition for Santon, but moving Santon on and bringing in cheap replacement sounds like an Ashley gamble.