Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Must be mostly that.

We did have a UEFA run in the 2006/2007 season, and didn't in 2011/2012 but that's only going to explain a minor part of it. Generally matchday income has been lower under Ashley, I haven't checked this out but I'd be surprised if there has been a drop in attendance of the size that would explain that sort of fall in revenue. So I think it can only be down to those that do go to matches paying less to do so. Anyone got any other theories?

It can't be mostly that, some have a price freeze which isn't a total freeze as we pay for membership and that hasn't only been added and left at the same price, it's been increased.

This isn't exactly the same time period as mentioned in The Mag article but it's close and the prices are increased if you aren't locked in with a 10 year deal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/8311482/Newcastle-United-owner-Mike-Ashley-sanctions-ten-year-freeze-on-season-ticket-prices.html

2001-02            2008-09                2011-12

Adult    Junior    Adult      Junior      Adult      Junior     

The Gallowgate Stand    £392      £241      £543      £277      £558      £272

Family Area                  £299      £125      £330      £110      £345      £100 

Must be mostly that.

We did have a UEFA run in the 2006/2007 season, and didn't in 2011/2012 but that's only going to explain a minor part of it. Generally matchday income has been lower under Ashley, I haven't checked this out but I'd be surprised if there has been a drop in attendance of the size that would explain that sort of fall in revenue. So I think it can only be down to those that do go to matches paying less to do so. Anyone got any other theories?

It can't be mostly that, some have a price freeze which isn't a total freeze as we pay for membership and that hasn't only been added and left at the same price, it's been increased.

This isn't exactly the same time period as mentioned in The Mag article but it's close and the prices are increased if you aren't locked in with a 10 year deal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/8311482/Newcastle-United-owner-Mike-Ashley-sanctions-ten-year-freeze-on-season-ticket-prices.html

2001-02            2008-09                2011-12

Adult    Junior    Adult      Junior      Adult      Junior     

The Gallowgate Stand    £392      £241      £543      £277      £558      £272

Family Area                  £299      £125      £330      £110      £345      £100 

Seems to just about cover inflation.

Cheapest ST at NUFC (and Spurs) £378 (£730)

Dearest ST at NUFC (and Spurs) £909 (£1845)

I stole the above from elsewhere and haven't checked it btw.

If you put ticket prices up by a tenner each that'd raise you half a million a game (if 50K turn up)

Guest Roger Kint

Any reason why The Mag omit some years in that? Could it be that they hinder the negative spin Jenson is looking to create?

Ashley's first season 2008 we had higher matchday(32.4m)/TV(41.1m)/Commercial(25.9m) income than 2006.

2009 we hade almost 300000 less fans in SJP than in previous years(no Europe) so matchday dropped to 29m.

The following season doesnt need explaining obviously but the fall since the pre 2009 days tie in with much bigger family areas, the singing section being there til 2011 and the clear loss of corporate income. Either way on average attendances at home have been 200000+ less each year since 2008.

Naturally the commercial side is the only area which needs addressing but unless we have concrete figures(we dont) then is more guesswork akin to 20+ pages earlier in the thread. We know the SD signs account for a small part as does the catering outsourcing. My biggest query would be the Puma deal as i would say its a fair drop from the adidas one just as the NR deal was a reduction on previous deals pre 2010.

The club is a long, long way from realising it's financial potential, clearly.

Now, there either there isn't the ambition to do that or there isn't ability (lack of expertise of people is key positions).

The club is a long, long way from realising it's financial potential, clearly.

Now, there either there isn't the ambition to do that or there isn't ability (lack of expertise of people is key positions).

Tend to agree, but quantifying it is pretty hard isn't it?

I mean, presumably massive sponsorship deals requires European success, which is really expensive to get. And matchday revenue also depends (to a large extent) on milking the fans more.

He's definitely cheapened our brand, no argument there. Any association with something as tacky as SD is going to do that. Not to mention Wonga.

I feel like that's all he knows, and it's worked for him in the retail market. But our "brand" now is about as tacky as it gets. Horrible kit/sponsor/SD signs everywhere/our website. It's all just budget and tacky

Agree with you 100% on that. The NEWCASTLE UNITED writing was one of the classiest things about the club, still hate the fact he changed that. Just in financial terms it seems a bit harder to say exactly how harmful it is.

Any reason why The Mag omit some years in that? Could it be that they hinder the negative spin Jenson is looking to create?

Ashley's first season 2008 we had higher matchday(32.4m)/TV(41.1m)/Commercial(25.9m) income than 2006.

2009 we hade almost 300000 less fans in SJP than in previous years(no Europe) so matchday dropped to 29m.

The following season doesnt need explaining obviously but the fall since the pre 2009 days tie in with much bigger family areas, the singing section being there til 2011 and the clear loss of corporate income. Either way on average attendances at home have been 200000+ less each year since 2008.

Naturally the commercial side is the only area which needs addressing but unless we have concrete figures(we dont) then is more guesswork akin to 20+ pages earlier in the thread. We know the SD signs account for a small part as does the catering outsourcing. My biggest query would be the Puma deal as i would say its a fair drop from the adidas one just as the NR deal was a reduction on previous deals pre 2010.

I spent some time last night looking for season ticket prices over the years and will have another look if I get time. All of what I found shows an increase every year apart from one where season tickets were reduced but individual match prices were still increased.  I only had a quick look at what I found so wouldn't want to claim anything yet.

As an aside, sort of, based on a Conn article in the Guardian, outside of the usual top 4 and Liverpool/Spurs we make more money from match day and Commercial revenue than any other Premier league club. So is our decline rather wider sourced than just "Ashley", indeed is our performance even that bad in light of the figures elsewhere (given we've been notably pants on the pitch for ages).

Not really to do with the match day revenue debate, but surely it is good marketing sense to keep season ticket prices down in relation to individual match tickets. Sorry for that occasional attenders.

In amongst the current vogue German football "love in" theres a lot of talk about cheap tickets. Sure German season ticket prices are comparatively low but when I've attended games one off I've found it expensive in comparison. 55 euros for an ordinary seat and a couple of times 140 euros albeit with booze and food thrown in. Makes sense to me.

Guest Roger Kint

Not really to do with the match day revenue debate, but surely it is good marketing sense to keep season ticket prices down in relation to individual match tickets. Sorry for that occasional attenders.

In amongst the current vogue German football "love in" theres a lot of talk about cheap tickets. Sure German season ticket prices are comparatively low but when I've attended games one off I've found it expensive in comparison. 55 euros for an ordinary seat and a couple of times 140 euros albeit with booze and food thrown in. Makes sense to me.

Totally agree re ticket prices. An affordable place for everyone is important and its quite refreshing to know theres family packages/long term price freezes. The fact that since June 2008 we have consistently averaged 200000 less a year obviously plays the main part in the overall matchday income being down. It will be interesting to see how the income looks in the next accounts as to June 2013 our attendances were finally back to pre 2009 levels with 1.2m fans in SJP.

We'd generate more income if NUFC fans had confidence in the owner. A lot of fans don't want to spend money at SJP on matchday on food/drink etc, because they begrudge giving Ashley any other money than the cost of watching the team.

Same applies to club clothing/souvenirs. I for one think twice about buying stuff from the club shop these days. If we were content with the way the club was being ran and we could have some pride in the club, we'd be encouraged to spend more.

He's definitely cheapened our brand, no argument there. Any association with something as tacky as SD is going to do that. Not to mention Wonga.

I feel like that's all he knows, and it's worked for him in the retail market. But our "brand" now is about as tacky as it gets. Horrible kit/sponsor/SD signs everywhere/our website. It's all just budget and tacky

Agree with you 100% on that. The NEWCASTLE UNITED writing was one of the classiest things about the club, still hate the fact he changed that. Just in financial terms it seems a bit harder to say exactly how harmful it is.

I still cringe every time i see that