Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

I think we could secure a top 8 -7 position in the league regularly, if we could increase our commercial side, remove SD and only spend what we generate. However, if we want to crash the top 4 quickly and be amongst it on a regularly basis then I think a large amount of money will have to be spent on the team quickly.

I would love a slow build and watch the club grow but 10 years of Ashley has made me wanting a super quick fix for all the years that have been wasted.

Aye, I feel pretty much the same way too.

You'll always have the top 3: Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea, clubs who we couldn't compete with financially even if we get large sums of money thrown at us from the outset of a takeover. That 4th spot though is contested between Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal, who if we get huge amounts of money we may be able to compete with in terms of finance. Spurs aren't mega rich, Liverpool aren't either and Arsenal have the money but just don't spend it as Kroenke is content with that 4th spot it seems.

It's all ifs, buts and maybes at this stage though. I'm desperate for updates.

The Man City treatment means basically becoming another club entirely. Nothing about their club is anything like the club they had 15 years ago. Different badge, different stadium, entirely different make up. They might be successful and well-run, but nothing about their rise has been remotely organic. They've bought their success on a scale that's only rivaled (in this country) by mid-noughties Chelsea. It's poxy imo. I'd rather be a bit more old fashioned than that and find a balance; if that means never winning the league then so fuck.

I'm probably in the minority but it'd proper feel like I was losing my club if we were bought out by a 'sugar daddy' like. I'd probably get over it pretty quickly when I realised I didn't have to watch Perez and Joselu every week like.

we would all go into man city / Chelsea mode and pretend we were always fucking brilliant.

Guest firetotheworks

Someone who'll run the club in a way that means we can earn success> A vapid, soulless big spending club> everything else.

Guest reefatoon

I'm probably in the minority but it'd proper feel like I was losing my club if we were bought out by a 'sugar daddy' like. I'd probably get over it pretty quickly when I realised I didn't have to watch Perez and Joselu every week like.

It felt like we had under Ashley anyway. I am sure a "sugar daddy" would bring us closer as a fan base than Mike's way of running things has over the last ten years.

Everybody rank their preference of trophies in order of most want to not interested in winning.

I'd happily take any trophy because it would mean something at the club was very right. But, to play the game, Europa League would be top of my list. I feel like there's unfinished business with that competition in my lifetime (obviously it was a better format in previous iterations).

It'd also be kinda cool winning the same competition exactly 50 years after we last won it, with nothing in-between. :lol: Anyone know where the final is next season?

:lol:  A decade of Ashley, but that's what makes you feel like you're losing your club.

:lol:  A decade of Ashley, but that's what makes you feel like you're losing your club.

:lol: I genuinely wouldn't give a fuck anymore, when Ashley took over i cared about that stuff but not now.

Everybody rank their preference of trophies in order of most want to not interested in winning.

I'd happily take any trophy because it would mean something at the club was very right. But, to play the game, Europa League would be top of my list. I feel like there's unfinished business with that competition in my lifetime (obviously it was a better format in previous iterations).

It'd also be kinda cool winning the same competition exactly 50 years after we last won it, with nothing in-between. :lol: Anyone know where the final is next season?

Baku.  Quite the hike.

I quite like the Europa League in general, only gripe with it is it being played on Thursdays which moves your PL games to Sundays, but I thoroughly enjoyed it last time out. Don't understand some clubs like Everton chucking it, if you win it it's a path into the Champions League.

Final is in fucking Baku in Azerbaijan next year :lol:

Baku.

Mate of mine goes there regularly fixing valves on drilling rigs. I'll have to tell him to save up his air miles so some of the lads can go for free.

I think after half a century without a meaningful trophy we could be allowed some leeway when it comes to buying some success.

I think after half a century without a meaningful trophy we could be allowed some leeway when it comes to buying some success.

Yes, I just cannot believe it is 48 years since my first year (as a kid) having enough money to go to most of the games.

1969 was my first year, and as my own School Report once said . . "a good start, but must try harder" . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=55836819&postcount=942

A lad I've known for about 15 years, and works out in the Middle East reckons the sale is definitely on, and things will "be better than alright".

Definitely not the sort to bullshit.....Paully knows the fella too.

Fucking hell, first time I've actually thought this might happen.

A lad I've known for about 15 years, and works out in the Middle East reckons the sale is definitely on, and things will "be better than alright".

f***ing hell, first time I've actually thought this might happen.

Does he know who is putting up the money?

He does, but he's not divulging anything else at the minute.

Does he know who is putting up the money?

He does, but he's not divulging anything else at the minute.

It still PCP/Amanda Staveley though?

Yes, I just cannot believe it is 48 years since my first year (as a kid) having enough money to go to most of the games.

1969 was my first year, and as my own School Report once said . . "a good start, but must try harder" . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=55836819&postcount=942

I'd actually still be very uncomfortable with a Man City solution to success, I don't know if that makes me a purist or some such thing but I'd prefer to shock people - a bit like Leicester did (though not immediately fade away after).

If we are sold and Rafa stays it can work either way, buy it, or do it through team work. You probably only need a 20-30% increase in player ability in half the squad, the ones we'd not shed a tear to lose anyway, and you can be sure Rafa is making top 6 every year provided he's still buying the hungry genuine characters.

It would be hard for me to feel attachment for, say, Aguero the way I feel it for Shelvey, Merino, Shearer, Lee, Lascelles etc.

Money changes everything but I still believe you only need everything to be run correctly with a view to success, everbody with the same vision, in order to produce someting special.

It was '73 I went to my first match. Pretty sure Tommy Gibb was still there, positive Frank Clark and Iain McFaul still were. Davey Craig too?

Incidentally, as a complete aside, I was wondering about a football song the other day, and if it referenced a player or it was just some tune football fans sang... "Aye, aye, aye-aye somebody pinched my sombrero, the dirty twats, they've pissed in my hat, and now I've got nothing to wear-o, wear-o, wear-o."

All correct!

I’ve had several messages off him today and I’m already calling the fine lady we were talking about ‘Queen Amanda’!

I don’t want to tempt fate and you never know with the fat w***** in charge but I think we are in for a rather splendid January!