Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2012/05/21/72703-31011254/?

It comes exactly five years after “reclusive billionaire” Mike Ashley sent shockwaves across the North East with his £56m buy-out of Sir John Hall’s stake.

And today - as the Chronicle marks the anniversary of Ashley taking the reins at St James’ Park - his former right-hand man paid tribute to the Toon Army.

Mort issued a rallying cry to fans as they embark on their European adventure and said he loved his time in Newcastle.

The 46-year-old head of international law firm Freshfields’ leisure sector group said: “I’m delighted to see the way the season has gone and the progress that has been made. For Newcastle United to get into Europe is great news.

“I was the chairman of Newcastle for 12 months and I loved my time there. The thing to say is that the thing that stood out for me were the games at St James Park.

“It’s the most amazing stadium and to spend time with the supporters who follow their local club gives you a great appreciation for people’s enthusiasm.”

Mort ended Freddy Shepherd’s 10-year reign as chairman of Newcastle just months after Ashley secured the majority shares of the club in 2007.

After securing the club, Ashley made his long-time friend and adviser Mort carry out an internal review of the club’s affairs.

During his time in the North East, he clinched the return of Tyneside legend Kevin Keegan amid euphoric scenes at St James’ Park.

But in October 2009, Mort was named in a two-week FA arbitration panel during which Keegan claimed he had been unfairly dismissed.

The ex-Newcastle manager was eventually handed a £2m pay-out after being forced to buy Uruguayan Ignacio Gonzalez despite only seeing him on YouTube.

However Mort won favour with the fans as the face of the club as Ashley shied from the limelight. In September 2007 the pair squeezed into the Bigg Market’s Blu Bambu to share a beer with fans following Newcastle’s 2-0 win against Barnsley in the Carling Cup.

It was after Mort’s departure that the air turned sour inside St James’ Park and the tide turned on Ashley’s time in the North East.

But Mort today said it was the passion of the Newcastle fans that impressed him most about Newcastle United. Mort said: “It’s clearly a wonderful place. It’s not just a passionate club but a passionate city. It’s a big club in a big city.

“I’m delighted that the club is doing so well and that they’ve finished the season so well is great news.”

Mort was also responsible for the formation of the Newcastle United foundation which hopes to reach children and families who may not have been engaged by other agencies.

Former chairman Sir John Hall, who sold up to Mike Ashley last summer, handed £50,000 back to the club to kick-start the charity

It’s been a turbulent time under his ownership, with relegation, demonstrations, managerial sackings and despair, followed by a return to the top flight and a sense of stability few fans could have expected.

There’s also been controversy with the renaming of St James’ Park, but also the club now seems to have a financial model which is working both on and off the field.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2012/05/21/ex-nufc-chairman-chris-mort-reveals-his-feelings-about-time-on-tyneside-72703-31011254/2/#ixzz1vZze4cof

Guest frazernufc

If Ashley had sold up a few years ago, the club wouldnt be anywhere near the position in the league or financially it is today. As much as i hated him I hope he stays for the foreseeable future. It would of made me sick to say this a few years ago but iam starting to like the man, purely for his business model and success with the club. Ok, reading back thats seems like to much love for him at the moment, I'll even it out a little. Ashley is a cunt.

I'm a content fan at the moment. However I will never feel like there isn't something around the corner that could rail-road us.

The one thing I would like the club to do is sort its public relations with the fans. I'm not asking for Ashley to sit in away ends any more but an end of season message to the fans wouldn't go a miss.

I think the SBR statue helped, in that respect.

The one thing I would like the club to do is sort its public relations with the fans. I'm not asking for Ashley to sit in away ends any more but an end of season message to the fans wouldn't go a miss.

...and give the likes of Colocho the Clown, Steve Wraith and the other miscreants the chance to belittle the club for not moving exactly how they interpreted it. :lol:

I think the PR with the fans this season has been excellent tbh, I don't really care too much that Mike isn't too open in the public eye, but the manager, players, and even the staff (Carver & Carr) have went above and beyond this season in that department.

I'm a content fan at the moment.

Far be it from me to tell you how you feel, but you really should be more than contented. Highest points total in 10 years, fantastic team, European football and solid foundations in most areas. Svelte Mike deserves a lot of credit for this, regardless of how badly he did in the past.

And on the subject of Slender Mike, this is worth another read with 4 years of hindsight

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7615655.stm

Would be interested to re-read the reaction to that statement at the time, would be very surprised if anyone actually gave his statement more than 2 seconds of their attention :shifty:

Those where the times, jesus how low we was at the time.

I did not even dream of being where we are at the time.

Credit for skinny for getting us steady and sticking to his plan tbh. Hope he keeps us and follow the model we have. i like it :aww:

Agree, it looks fucking horrible.

But 5th place, a good manager, a team to be proud of.

Is it that high price to pay really? (I know the argument about how much money we get etc)

But as long as he is here, its going to be there.

Give me a good team and stable club over a plain roof tbh.

Not sure we can get everything at the moment.

Guest BooBoo

At the end of the day it's a sign on a roof. I get why people hate it and yes it looks naff.

The football team had massively improved over the last three years. Call me old fashioned, but that's the bottom line. Because Stone Cold said so!

http://cdn.whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/sports-610x457.png

Then i just think of s*** like this

What they gonna do about this for the Olympics? Cover it with a massive sheet? I'm looking forward to seeing the stadium over the summer like.

At the end of the day it's a sign on a roof. I get why people hate it and yes it looks naff.

The football team had massively improved over the last three years. Call me old fashioned, but that's the bottom line. Because Stone Cold said so!

It's more than the sign tbh.

It's the whole package.

I'm over the moon we're 5th, but it won't be remembered in 20/30/40 years whereas this will. And it might never change back.

Yes we might call it SJP, but the word could go as new generations come through.

Ask anybody under 40 how many shillings or pennies went into a pound and most will look at you blankly. (240pennies and 20 shillings :pow:) I think this could well be the same.