Wolves 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 01/10/11 - post-match reaction from page 46

Disco

Guest bimpy474

Some of the scores for Simpson have been unfair, I saw him make at least 3 vital interceptions / tackles yesterday which would have led to goals.

How do you know they would have led to goals?

Simpson himself was to blame for the goal, btw. He was bloody terrible from the first whistle.

What absolute s****, he made mistakes but he also made some good runs in the first half and made some vital interceptions.

As for the goal comment, they would have lead to a one on one with the keeper from a few yards out, so a really, really, really good chance of scoring. That better?

Ronaldo's right, he's an abomination of a full back. The two times Tiote slotted into RB in the first half when Simpson was nowhere to be seen just highlighted what a difference it would make to have someone with an ounce of defensive ability play there.

That happened a few times for Tottenham today, Parker filled in when Walker went forward and Arsenal broke, its why you have a holding player, he covers when the full backs push up, can hardly blame either full back if thats the tactics, but tbf Simpson gets caught forward far too much, also looking back at the Wolves goal yesterday, Hammill also had to cut inside Obertan as well, so it wasn't just Simpson fault on that one for me.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Some of the scores for Simpson have been unfair, I saw him make at least 3 vital interceptions / tackles yesterday which would have led to goals.

Simpson himself was to blame for the goal, btw. He was bloody terrible from the first whistle.

What absolute s****, he made mistakes but he also made some good runs in the first half and made some vital interceptions.

As for the goal comment, they would have lead to a one on one with the keeper from a few yards out, so a really, really, really good chance of scoring. That better?

Ronaldo's right, he's an abomination of a full back. The two times Tiote slotted into RB in the first half when Simpson was nowhere to be seen just highlighted what a difference it would make to have someone with an ounce of defensive ability play there.

That happened a few times for Tottenham today, Parker filled in when Walker went forward and Arsenal broke, its why you have a holding player, he covers when the full backs push up, can hardly blame either full back if thats the tactics, but tbf Simpson gets caught forward far too much, also looking back at Wolves goal yesterday, Hammill also had to cut inside Obertan as well, so it wasn't just Simpson fault on that one for me.

Wasn't particularly highlighting that as a big error, just the big difference seeing someone able to defend in the fullback area. On that topic though, when he does get forward it takes him hours to get back on occasions, happy to amble back whilst others are scrambling. Don't know if that's a problem with fitness or attitude.

That happened a few times for Tottenham today, Parker filled in when Walker went forward and Arsenal broke, its why you have a holding player, he covers when the full backs push up, can hardly blame either full back if thats the tactics, but tbf Simpson gets caught forward far too much, also looking back at Wolves goal yesterday, Hammill also had to cut inside Obertan as well, so it wasn't just Simpson fault on that one for me.

You can't blame Simpson for Obertan not pulling his weight and that's what was happening yesterday.  A few times Simpson ran forward with the ball and was looking for Obertan to get beyond him to take the ball and it didn't happen.  Simpson has been at his best when he's had Routledge or Barton in front of him because they both got involved more than Obertan does.  Simpson can't be both the player who is furthest up field and the person at the back.

Guest Rey Mysterio

I'm not saying the lad's Maicon ffs. He's an average fullback who backs off too much, not the anti christ.

He's not average though. When he's played a part in nearly every goal we've conceded this season (cups included, didn't see any of pre-season), for me that's well below average.

Guest bimpy474

Wasn't particularly highlighting that as a big error, just the big difference seeing someone able to defend in the fullback area. On that topic though, when he does get forward it takes him hours to get back on occasions, happy to amble back whilst others are scrambling. Don't know if that's a problem with fitness or attitude.

Spot on mate, he does seem to amble back, thats something i noticed a lot yesterday, one thing i'll give him credit for though is at the back post when a cross comes in from the other flank, he is very good and rarely loses his man, something Jose used to do and it cost us a few of goals, Jose marking at the back post was shocking at times. Also Simpson covers across for his centre backs very well tbf to him. 

He's not average though. When he's played a part in nearly every goal we've conceded this season (cups included, didn't see any of pre-season), for me that's well below average.

Simpson isn't the only player responsible for our right side, Obertan should play a bigger part when it comes to defending our right side and Taylor should also come over to cover when Simpson is out of position.  Just like Jonas and Coloccini do on our left side.

I'm not saying the lad's Maicon ffs. He's an average fullback who backs off too much, not the anti christ.

I agree with Mick here, Obertan hardly gives Simpson defensive cover.

Looking at our prem results you could blame Simpson for the goal yesterday and for the Fulham goal. Collocini was at fault for the Villa goal, and maybe the Blackburn goal as he didn't close down Hoilette fast enough. Although you could say the Blackburn goal was Raylors fault as well.

Guest BooBoo

Simpson/ Jonas & Santon /Marveaux would give each flank some guts and guile. Simpson/ Obertan is much too lightweight, especially away from home.

Guest bimpy474

You can't blame Simpson for Obertan not pulling his weight and that's what was happening yesterday.  A few times Simpson ran forward with the ball and was looking for Obertan to get beyond him to take the ball and it didn't happen.  Simpson has been at his best when he's had Routledge or Barton in front of him because they both got involved more than Obertan does.  Simpson can't be both the player who is furthest up field and the person at the back.

Not just blaming him mate, i want him to go forward as attacking full backs is definitely the way to go, he just doesn't get back with the same purpose, there is some merit in Obertan not working as hard as he could to help him out, but Simpson should adjust his game accordingly, not just ploughing ahead leaving gaps, or get back quicker.

Not just blaming him mate, i want him to go forward as attacking full backs is definitely the way to go, he just doesn't get back with the same purpose, there is some merit in Obertan not working as hard as he could to help him out, but Simpson should adjust his game accordingly, not just ploughing ahead leaving gaps, or get back quicker.

How can Simpson adjust his game enough to be able to attack and defend almost at the same time?  That looks like it's what some people are expecting of him and it's not physically possible.  Attacking and defending is a team game and it's not something we're very good at down our right at times, it's not all down to Simpson who can't be in two places at once.

Guest bimpy474

How can Simpson adjust his game enough to be able to attack and defend almost at the same time?  That looks like it's what some people are expecting of him and it's not physically possible.  Attacking and defending is a team game and it's not something we're very good at down our right at times, it's not all down to Simpson who can't be in two places at once.

Its not about being in two places at once, its picking the right time to go forward, this is where intelligence as a footballer comes in, and both him and Obertan much more tbf to Simpson, show a lack of it, i think he can turn out to be a very good player, but he must learn from mistakes, but you are right he isn't helped by having Obertan in front of him, but also he was making these mistakes when Barton was in front of him too.

Its not about being in two places at once, its picking the right time to go forward, this is where intelligence as a footballer comes in, and both him and Obertan much more tbf to Simpson, show a lack of it, i think he can turn out to be a very good player, but he must learn from mistakes, but you are right he isn't helped by having Obertan in front of him, but also he was making these mistakes when Barton was in front of him too.

Simpson is damned if he does go forward and damned if he doesn't.  If he's going to make a 50 yard run then he's not going to be able to be able to turn around and run another 50 yards to get back.  Our left side have been the best at covering each other for a while.  Jonas, Enrique and Coloccini were always good at helping eack other out and playing as a unit.  We still see this to some degree this season with Ryan Taylor being helped out by Jonas and Coloccini.  We rarely see this on our right side and this isn't down to one player.

The biggest problem I have with Simpson is his backing off and I can understand that a little because it will have been coached into him.  I've been coached by professional footballers, one who played in and won a world cup as a defender and I was told never to dive in, Simpson takes that a little too far.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Simpson is damned if he does go forward and damned if he doesn't.  If he's going to make a 50 yard run then he's not going to be able to be able to turn around and run another 50 yards to get back.  Our left side have been the best at covering each other for a while.  Jonas, Enrique and Coloccini were always good at helping eack other out and playing as a unit.  We still see this to some degree this season with Ryan Taylor being helped out by Jonas and Coloccini.  We rarely see this on our right side and this isn't down to one player.

The biggest problem I have with Simpson is his backing off and I can understand that a little because it will have been coached into him.  I've been coached by professional footballers, one who played in and won a world cup as a defender and I was told never to dive in, Simpson takes that a little too far.

Why?

Why?

Because by the time you make the run back the other team have attacked, or if you keep doing it for the entire game you'll be absolutely shattered.