Acquisitions - moving in the right direction.

Stu

Feb 2011  Shefki Kuqi  Unattached  Free Brought in for 'experienced cover', didn't do a lot

Was the definition of useless.

Kuqi (rightly) never got much of a chance to play for us, but did't see any problem with us bringing him in as extra cover and wasn't for me a failure.

Beyond just being there in an emergency, he seemed like he helped the spirit behind the scenes as much as anything and I think that is, as Stu highlights, something that we now place an emphasis on being important.

/Oh and to be fair to the bloke he's still scoring goals. 5 in 8 this season. :lol:

Oh and the 'missing' transfers during the period we like to call: "YOU FAT COCKNEY BASTARD, GET OUT OF OUR CLUB"

Jan 2009 Peter Lovenkrands Unattached  Free The height of our ambition at the time, chipped in with a few goals

Jan 2009 Haris Vučkić NK Domzale  fee tbc Development Squad - knocking on 1st team squad

Jan 2009 Kevin Nolan Bolton Wanderers  £4m I think we will look back on this as a successful signing overall as he came, we got relegated, then he scored a ridiculous amount of goals in 2 seasons before we were able (by fortune or design) to upgrade on him.

Feb 2009 Ryan Taylor Wigan Athletic  P/ex with N'Zogbia Came in, has done an average job overall as a utility player. Will forever be remembered for winning against the m*ckems.

Feb 2009 Samuel Adjei Jonkopings Sodra IF  fee tbc Developmental prospect - never made it

Aug 2009  Danny Simpson  Manchester United  Loan 

Sep 2009  Peter Lovenkrands  Unattached  Free The height of our ambition at the time, chipped in with a few goals

Sep 2009  Zurab Khizanishvili  Blackburn Rovers  Loan

Sept 2009  Marlon Harewood  Aston Villa  Loan

Nov 2009  Fabrice Pancrate  Unattached  Free Brought in for 'experience', didn't do a lot except [i[that[/i] goal

Very well researched thread.

Just goes to show how much we had lost the plot towards the end of the Shepherd reign. Majority of those signed by Soumess and Roedent were pap.

Can this not go in the transfer thread

nope- its a precursor to Stus Victory parade hes been  planning for a while.

:lol: good to see aussiefag can read - even went to the effort of writing an intro to the OP just for him. Denied.

:lol: good to see aussiefag can read - even went to the effort of writing an intro to the OP just for him. Denied.

joking aside- when will you claim the argument is won- or is it already?

Couple of seasons of stability would be a start! :lol:

Multiple qualification for Europe, a few decent cup runs (would be nice to go to Wembley again, this time without having the opposition's 12th player in our team) and a manager who does at least 3 seasons.

Given the state of football at the moment, that's putting him just behind KK and SBR as 'good times' for a NUFC supporter in recent times, non?

Multiple qualification for Europe, a few decent cup runs (would be nice to go to Wembley again, this time without having the opposition's 12th player in our team) and a manager who does at least 3 seasons.

Given the state of football at the moment, that's putting him just behind KK and SBR as 'good times' for a NUFC supporter in recent times, non?

Agreed. and Im going back to the 70s

Agreed. and Im going back to the 70s

Interesting point.

Since 1969 we have had 20 managers...

There seems to be an obvious correlation between stability and success. Obviously the better the managers do, the more time they are given but some of the time given to the managers have never really given us the chance to succeed.

Joe Harvey 1962-1975  Football League Second Division Champions: 1965, FA Cup Runners-up:1974, Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Winners: 1969

Gordon Lee 1975-1977 Football League Cup Runners-up: 1976 Given the benefit of doubt for reaching the final despite selling 'big name players'

Richard Dinnis 1977

Bill McGarry 1977-1980

Arthur Cox 1980-1984  Promotion from Division 2 1984

Jack Charlton 1984-1985

Willie McFaul 1985-1988

Jim Smith 1988-1991

Ossie Ardiless 1991-1992

Kevin Keegan 1992-1997 FA Premier League Runners-up:1996, Football League First Division Champions:1993, FA Community Shield Runners-up:1996

Kenny Dalglish 1997-1998  Ruining a good side

Ruud Gullit 1998-1999 Continuing the trend despite a Cup Final appearance

Sir Bobby Robson 1999-2004

Graeme Souness 2004-2006

Glenn Roeder 2006-2007

Sam Allardyce 2007-2008

Kevin Keegan 2008

Joe Kinnear 2008-2009

Chris Hughton 2009-2010  Football League Championship 2010

Alan Pardew 2010- Present

I just find it interesting some of the length in time in quite a lot of our appointments. From a personal perspective i only really remember from Gullit onwards and i am intrigued with our performances as a club during the 70's and 80's to warrant some quick changes in managers.

Not really an argument just an observation

wow 20 managers since i first went, guess id have to put pards behind joe harvey, but i was far too young to understand at the time.

Since the early 80s when I started going with mates, away games, season tickets etc, he has a good case for third best. tho i still rate Authur Cox ahead of pards just now.we never got to see his football in the first division.

Community Shield runners up ffs.

It was known as the Charity Shield in 1996!

What a horrible day that was. Got absolutely fucking battered, Man United fans were graceless cunts, it pissed it down as soon as the game ended, it took 4000 days to get home. My first trip to the dump that was/is Wembley.

Can we work out what percentages of transfers we perceive are good (green), average(orange) and bad(red), before and after the new transfer plan.

When confronted with two numbers you divide the smaller number by the bigger one and then you multiply by 100.

So if you scored 43 out of 89 in a test you divide 43 (the smaller number) by 89 (the bigger number), which equals 0.48. You then multiply 0.48 by 100 = 48 per cent.

If you scored 24 out of 40 you divide 24 by 40 = 0.6. Multipled by 100 that comes to 60 per cent.

So, there is your answer.

You would probably need to add them up first according to score (R/A/G). Try an abacus if you run out of fingers and toes.