Completely farcical offside rule

James

Should never have changed it from the original rule of if your in an offside position your offside. None of the phases in play, active and inactive players it just causes problems in the game.

Yes they should. Watching old games is infuriating and far worse for the flow of the game than the with new one when an attack would break down because of someone not even involved in it. The new rule rarely causes problems and it's mainly the fans and media who get it wrong and go on about it.

Guest Geordiesned

Nothing wring with the rule IMO. Very poor play by our defence. One of the first things you learn as a player is that you play to the whistle. We didn't and nearly paid for it.

What, so for the sake of about 1.5 seconds (if that) he made a poor decision? Talk about overcritical.

Aguero was the one offside. He was correctly given offside. Not sure what the linesman did wrong at all tbh.

It did look like he was going to let play go on if Toure had picked it up instead though.

But that would have been okay, going by the current mental rules. Toure wasn't offside. The only person who fucked up was Aguero.

Isn't that the point James was making? ???

The rule is farcical if it deems Aguero wasn't active - the defence have stopped because the player who the ball has gone to is miles offside - by definition, that makes him offside and active imo.

Yeah, I agree the rule is a joke. It's one of the things mentioned in that daft rules thread I made the other week.

I was just responding to the posts about the linesman making a bad decision or being wrong.

The decision made the right call under the current rules.

The rules are wrong though :lol: Even before he had touched the ball, I can't say how anyone can say Aguero was "passive" in that play (or whatever they're calling it) if our defenders were directly responding to his movement/lack of movement.

Why was this "phase of play" stuff brought in, anyway? We're not American ffs. We don't have "plays"! :lol: If a striker is too tired/lazy to jog back on-side, his team should suffer if the ball is played through to a different player while the first player is still offside. The current ruling is shit.

If Toure had come onto the ball, the Assistant would have kept his flag down and that would be wrong, even by current rules.

Aguero is always moving towards the ball therefore he is always active in play IMO. If he had held his hands up and turned away then fair enough, but he didn't.

I think Aguero was pretty active, our players shouldn't have stopped. It's pretty open to abuse, obviously be offside and when ball passed to you don't touch it just shield it till an onside player runs in in the confusion...

That's already defined as interfering with an opponent.