Getting Booked On Purpose

Skirge

The rules don't really provide for this, and nor should they. When the rules of a sport are written down they aren't thinking about how people might fix things like which games they're suspended for.

Maybe they need tweaking. It would just need to make a distinction between the competitions where the cards were picked up relating to the suspensions that needed to be served.

Agree with the above about bookings collected in the league going towards league suspensions only though.

Agree too, but that could equally just lead to someone intentionally getting their 5th yellow just before a Wigan match to avoid serving a suspension in a 'bigger' match.

Agree with the above about bookings collected in the league going towards league suspensions only though.

Agree too, but that could equally just lead to someone intentionally getting their 5th yellow just before a Wigan match to avoid serving a suspension in a 'bigger' match.

Absolute possibility, but it's the same competition at least. :dontknow: Stamping it out completely is impractical to enforce/impossible, really. Also the merits for doing so are questionable.

My suggestion is (I think!) feasible, enforceable and logical.

Football isn't and will never be perfect, just one of those things really in which you have to accept.

The yellow card ban is pretty harsh anyway, you can pick up a few innocuous yellows and you miss a game, so I see no problem in players trying to dictate which game it is they miss.

Guest Stephen927

In Terry's example, Chelsea have a tough fixture list coming up so taking the yellow card against Wolves was the right thing to do for the team.

Absolute possibility, but it's the same competition at least. :dontknow: Stamping it out completely is impractical to enforce/impossible, really. Also the merits for doing so are questionable.

My suggestion is (I think!) feasible, enforceable and logical.

Definitely. Think it makes more sense than allowing it to be served in the LC. But, like you say, it there's little merit and it's just change for change's sake really.

I don't think it's a problem that needs stamping out anyway.

Real Madrid did this a year or two ago didn't they?

Yeah it was farcical the way that went down

To be frank, it's blatant in La Liga and has been like that for years and even decades. We have new regulations this year giving an additional suspension, but as said the problem is proving that they have the intention.

As said, the yellow ban is a strange rule. I have no problem with people missing games on reds, particularly for violent tackles, but missing crucial games because of a few innocuous yellows here and there (Xabi Alonso is one yellow away for suspension right now, and might miss the Clásico just because of a harmless handball a few games ago). But I think it's a problem of football's penalty system as a whole.

Maybe just abolish suspensions for bookings completely. Let it affect the players performance in the original game, then forget about it.

Extreme I admit.

Nah I agree. Knowing that you are 1 mistake away from a red is punishment enough for any yellow card offence tbh. I can see why the ban is in place like, to try and reduce the ammount of yellows a player picks up, but I doubt it makes any difference.

On way to deal with it could be that once 5 yellows are hit, the FA or whicheven governing body, uses a system to generate a random number between 1 and 5.  Which ever number is selected could stipulate which game after the incident occurs is the game in which the player has a one match ban.  Same could be applied for 2 yellows (red).  Straight red is an immediate suspension.

Maybe just abolish suspensions for bookings completely. Let it affect the players performance in the original game, then forget about it.

Extreme I admit.

Nah I agree. Knowing that you are 1 mistake away from a red is punishment enough for any yellow card offence tbh. I can see why the ban is in place like, to try and reduce the ammount of yellows a player picks up, but I doubt it makes any difference.

No way.

Maybe just paranoia from a younger Beren, but I could have sworn Fergie used to employ Phil Neville first half to go in hard on opposing teams star players, pick up a yellow and then get subbed off at half time. Consistent yellows deserve punishment beyond the threat of reds within the games they're picked up. Anything else would be absurd IMO.

On way to deal with it could be that once 5 yellows are hit, the FA or whicheven governing body, uses a system to generate a random number between 1 and 5.  Which ever number is selected could stipulate which game after the incident occurs is the game in which the player has a one match ban.  Same could be applied for 2 yellows (red).  Straight red is an immediate suspension.

Then you'll get all the Man Utd players conveniently getting suspended for the easiest games.