Newcastle United 0 - 0 Swansea City - 17/12/11 - post-match reaction from pg 26

Dave

Frustrating game, stupid substitutions, shit ref and two points dropped.

Bah, humbug.

Ref was shite like. Played in to their hands massively by letting all the fouls on our forwards in the first half go unpunished and then bam! first foul by Cabaye yellow in his face.

lets give swansea some credit, its all well and good groaning at our shortcomings but the opposition just come from the championship costing maybe a tiny fraction of our own team, they came to our own ground and defended with shear class and dealt with all that pressure we put them under in around an hour,  a lot of teams in the prem would have faultered against us today.

swansea play good football, yeh ok they had to defend allday but christ hadly anytime did they just kick and rush and lump it down the field, they stuck to their principles and played the ball out all day long. 

credit is due.

Kajynnep Jak Penny

I think we're seeing the petulance that saw HBA gain many an enemy in France. Didn't warm up & messed around when AP wanted him on #NUFC

Tbh I doubt the credibility of a guy who wrote:

"Tiote looked off the pace"

He did at times. Only the usual from him when he's missed games.

people stop making out like Ben Arfa is the second coming,  there's a reason he don't get played on the wings. 

he doesn't track back, putting Arfa infront of santon or raylor is like asking for trouble,  raylor would be highly exposed without jonas covering his ass,  santon would just plow foward leaving no one on the left flank.

sure maybe he can play infront of simpson then people would whine "oh look he's left footed playing on the right flank"

We played with Laurent Robert for a few years look where that got us.

Yep. We were set up well, we had a decent shape and played some decent stuff with only the goal frame and a couple of blocks/saves keeping us out. After an hour though we looked really short on ideas. They still weren't in the game but we just needed a spark, some creativity to stir things up a bit and open their defence. Ben Arfa would have been the ideal, logical choice. If it didn't work them fair enough, but to not even try it was farcical.

Exactly. There's no guarantees in anything.

Pardew was always going to have two tests today: What team he'd pick and then what changes he'd make if needed.

All in all he passed the first. But in the last 25-20 minutes when the game was dying he failed to do anything.

i agree, i felt just as faustrated with pardew when we played qpr,  he didnt change anything and we just played out a 0-0 draw on a day we were lucky to get a point but his subs were shocking. 

pardew is a good manager but he does seem to have this phobia of changing the shape of a team midway though a match, almost like he believes it would be too much of a disruption for the players to handle.

Other than one pretty woeful pass I thought he looked decent tbh. Certainly didn't deserve to be singled out.

Nah, we definitely benefitted from having him back. He just dwelled on the ball a few times, as I said as is usual for him when he's been out a while. Nowt to worry about and they weren't anywhere near good enough to punish us for it.

people stop making out like Ben Arfa is the second coming,  there's a reason he don't get played on the wings. 

he doesn't track back, putting Arfa infront of santon or raylor is like asking for trouble,  raylor would be highly exposed without jonas covering his ass,  santon would just plow foward leaving no one on the left flank.

sure maybe he can play infront of simpson then people would whine "oh look he's left footed playing on the right flank"

considering how much money we spent on him and the amount of debt we collected after spending that much on the rest of the team,  not that far really.

With 20 minutes to go when the opposition aren't attacking, what does it matter if he doesn't track back?

Yep. We were set up well, we had a decent shape and played some decent stuff with only the goal frame and a couple of blocks/saves keeping us out. After an hour though we looked really short on ideas. They still weren't in the game but we just needed a spark, some creativity to stir things up a bit and open their defence. Ben Arfa would have been the ideal, logical choice. If it didn't work them fair enough, but to not even try it was farcical.

To be fair, Pardew did have him warming up ready to come on until Tiote's cramp.

So what? Didn't want to hurt Sammy's feelings? Doesn't trust Ben Arfa without Tiote on the pitch? :lol:

considering how much money we spent on him and the amount of debt we collected after spending that much on the rest of the team,  not that far really.

I'll just ignore you cause you are either being ignorant or just a WUM.

:lol: aye those were shit days when we were bottom of balance sheet league. Makes my stomach turn thinking of it.

:lol:

Proper shit signing Robert like. Expensive bastard.

With 20 minutes to go when the opposition aren't attacking, what does it matter if he doesn't track back?

it doesnt , but my point was if you seen my other post, he should have come on and played through the middle that was where we lacked penetration, swansea pretty much delt with everything from the wings. 

yeh because laurent robert was solely responsible for getting us where we were lol

There is literally no excuse for bringing Sammy on ahead of him like, and 2 weeks in a row is just mental. I'm scratching my brain to see what benefit the team has by leaving him on the bench, especially today, but I cannot think of anything. Absolutely nothing.

I think I've said before that I think Pardew sees Sammy/Obertan as less of a risk defensively but tbh I think I was talking shit.

/Ben Arfa fanboy lol

yeh because laurent robert was solely responsible for getting us where we were lol

lol

Sammy over HBA takes the piss.  I'd be petulant too if I had HBA's CV and I was watching Sammy and Shola play from the bench.

Pardew struggles to make adjustments in games like this.  Wigan was similar except for a moment of brilliance from Dreamboat.  Pardew didn't get as fortunate today.  He's got to let creative players play more and let go of this vise grip he has on the orthodox 4-4-2 - especially when the wing play was as shit as it was for most of the day. 

When you can't change your system at all, forcing you to choose Sammy Ameobi over Hatem Ben Arfa again and again, you are far too stubborn.

we didnt need to attack on the wings either as every ball that came from there were headed out.

if arfa was to come on, we should  have played a three man uptop,  Arfa Ba and obertan.

maybe with arfa behind ba and obertan, that would have gave us the penetration through the middle.

and played jonas tiote and cabaye in the central three midfield.

You mentioned what he wouldn't do as a winger.  We didn't need a winger but Ben Arfa wouldn't have stayed in that position anyway so bringing him on for Obertan or Jonas would have given us other and much needed options.

we didnt need to attack on the wings either as every ball that came from there were headed out.

if arfa was to come on, we should  have played a three man uptop,  Arfa Ba and obertan.

maybe with arfa behind ba and obertan, that would have gave us the penetration through the middle.

and played jonas tiote and cabaye in the central three midfield.

You mentioned what he wouldn't do as a winger.  We didn't need a winger but Ben Arfa wouldn't have stayed in that position anyway so bringing him on for Obertan or Jonas would have given us other and much needed options.

yeh for sure if he didnt stay in that position, but i would have brought him on instead of stroller,  kept jonas and obertan as were were playing quite decent.  maybe subbing obertan for sammi.